INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Word of Advice about Stump Shooting  (Read 5603 times)

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
Word of Advice about Stump Shooting
« on: July 21, 2007, 09:52:00 PM »
I am not sure about other states but if I had to guess they would be similar.  

My dad and I were out stump shooting / scouting today on some state land here in Michigan.  We got stopped by a Conservation Officer and he asked what we were doing and asked us if we knew there were no open hunting seasons at this time.  We told him we were out stump shooting and he asked what that was.  I explained it to him and he asked how he was supposed to know we were telling the truth and not out small game hunting.  Well here in Michigan we have a few animals that are consider nucence animals and they have no season on them.  Animals like Red Squirrels and Wood Chucks but you have to have a valid small game hunting licence for that yearto hunt them.  So he asked if we had a valid hunting licence for small game and niether one of us did.  He ran our names and we had no prior convictions so he just told us that he was going to let us go without a ticket but we had to purchase a small game licence with in the next 24 hours or he would be mailing us tickets.  

So the moral of the story is, make sure here in Michigan you have a valid small game license if you are going to be stump shooting on public land.  And in other states you might want to check your laws before going out.  Just thought I would pass this along because it is something that I had not known before now.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bm22

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Word of Advice about Stump Shooting
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 09:55:00 PM »
i thought it was innocent until proven guilty, guess i was wrong

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »
Good tip Tim! Thats one of them things I would have never thought about.
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline peak98

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »
Tim, congrats on winning the arras from Shawn!!
peak98

traveling East, in search of more light.

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 10:08:00 PM »
you can use those new arras to shoot those"illegal", stumps
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 10:21:00 PM »
I called the NJ Park Service to ask whether stump shooting was allowed in the state parks and forests.  I had to describe what stump shooting was, they had no idea.  "You mean you just walk around the woods and shoot at stumps, flowers, logs, etc??" It's ashame, isn't it?? The lost art of archery, I suppose.  Anyway, I was told stump shooting was only legal during valid hunting seasons.  Otherwise it fell into target practice (same as rifle!!) and was  not allowed.
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 10:23:00 PM »
In Wisconsin on public land it states that you're not allowed to target shoot. I haven't gotten a straight answer out of a warden if that refers to stump shooting or not. I just buy an archery licence (includes small game with a bow) and go hunting for varmits (possums, coyotes,) and if I happen to shoot a stump or two...

I did have one warden tell me that if I'm deer hunting I'm not allowed to carry a blunt tipped arrow in my quiver. The rules say deer hunting can only be done with broadheads. Anything else is in violation. I don't know who makes these rules sometimes.

Chris

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 10:31:00 PM »
I did have one warden tell me that if I'm deer hunting I'm not allowed to carry a blunt tipped arrow in my quiver. The rules say deer hunting can only be done with broadheads. Anything else is in violation. I don't know who makes these rules sometimes.

Chris [/QB]
I would contact the WDNR and get that clarified, in writing. The laws says it's illegal to attempt to take a deer with anything other than a broadhead meeting certain requirements. It doesn't say you can't have a blunt arrow in your possession while deer hunting...you just can't shoot a deer with that blunt. I also carry a pockey knife when I deer hunt, but that doesn't mean I'm going to try to leap out of a tree and stab a deer with the thing.

Once you get that clarification in writing, I'd keep a copy in your back tag holder, just in case.

Offline ibohuntwhitetails

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »
Missouri has a similar situation. If you are out with a bow or any weapon you better have a license for small game on you or whatever season it is. And during certain seasons you better have the proper gear for that season olny as stated above. Even on private land. Accourding to what I have been kindly told the state of Missouri only recocnizes practice at "ranges" and shooting of any weapon anywhere else no matter what it is at is "hunting". The officer tod me he can't tell if I was shootin stumps and targets or just not havin much luck hunting. I have learned with conservation it is more like guilty till proven innocent in my expieriences. Guess that what happens when they spend most their time chasin people bendin and breakin the rules constantly.

Tom
COMPLETE NEWBIE!! FIRST BOW!!
PSE Impala 60" 55# @ 28"
29" 1916 with 5" feathers 100 gr.tips shooting of the shelf

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 10:37:00 PM »
Yeah I guess I can understand where he is comming from and I am not mad about it in any way.  I just didnt know that I had to have a valid small game license when I was out stump shooting in the middle of the summer.  But he was cool about it and just told us to get one within the time limit which I was going to get one anyways so he just sped up the process.

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ibohuntwhitetails

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 11:02:00 PM »
Ya all of the ones I have dealt with have always been cool and understanding after you talk and they get the sense that you are a good honest person but when they approach it just seems most the time you are automaticly guilty. It is probably one of the hardest enforcment jobs. You are usually alone and you can safely assume everyone you encounter is armed. So they do have it tuff.

In Missouri you can buy your small game and fishing as one license so that is what i do every year just to be safe.

Tom
COMPLETE NEWBIE!! FIRST BOW!!
PSE Impala 60" 55# @ 28"
29" 1916 with 5" feathers 100 gr.tips shooting of the shelf

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 11:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by bm22:
i thought it was innocent until proven guilty, guess i was wrong
Welcome to the "new" Amerika.    :(
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Online Bill Shepard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 11:13:00 PM »
Unfortunately, legitimate sportsmen pay for the sins of others.  I guess it falls on us to make sure we are well versed on the rules of our sport of choice.  

Happy Stumpin   :thumbsup:
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2007, 11:15:00 PM »
Did you get your license tonight Tim,,If you need to get out of the poky tomorrow I'll strap my bronco to the gate and tear it down..Kinda like they did in the old west,,except my bronco needs gas,not hay and with gas prices like they are it'll be 3.50 a gallon,Congrats on the arrows,JB
TGMM

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2007, 11:16:00 PM »
I very recently had a concern over legal equipment in the field myself so I asked the KDFWL here in KY what the law says concerning broadheads, blunts etc.  The following is my question and the response from the department.  Hope this may help anyone with concerns over legal equipment in Kentucky.

QUESTION:

"I understand that deer must be shot with broadhead arrows at least 7/8" wide.  However,  is it legal to have an arrow in your quiver with a judo or blunt for practice shots, stump shooting etc. during deer season?  Also,  is it legal to harvest small game, with blunts or judo point or do the broadhead rules apply to all game?"

RESPONSE:

"It would be legal to have the judo and blunt in possession while hunting deer for use on small game where seasons overlap.  Blunts or field points may be carried for practice.  Deer must be taken with a 7/8 in. broadhead."

Major Randy Hedges
Assistant Director
Division of Law Enforcement
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life.  (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2007, 11:17:00 PM »
Yeah Jason my dad and I ran to the store and picked up our licenses.  I am sure the $15 license was cheaper that the ticket would have been.  LIke I said no big deal I was going to buy one before the season started anyways.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »
I really have'nt thought about this but luckilly Rabbit and Coyote season are open year round here. The way the hunting seasons run into Jan. seems I always have a hunting licsense anyhow.
So far I have'nt been stopped while at the lake shooting, but i'll keep this in mind. Thanks for the heads up. bretto

Offline Starkman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2007, 12:33:00 AM »
I've often wondered the same thing about stump shooting on public land in Arkansas.  Walking around toting a bow in the off season sure makes a person suspicious.
Bob
"You're never beaten until you admit it." - General George S. Patton, Jr

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2007, 01:54:00 AM »
Jason,
  I've looked through the regulations and it doesn't specify that you can't carry a blunt tip and broadhead. The small game seasons and deer seasons overlap and I'll often take after squirrels if the deer hunting isn't very hot.

At the shop I used to run we had a warden that came in on a regular basis. I mentioned that I hunt as stated above and he asked me what I use for squirrel. I replied "Judos and blunts". That's when he jumped all over me about what I was doing is illegal and if I get caught I'll get a fine. I brought up that it doesn't say you can't have blunts and broadheads. His reply was that you have to separate hunting for the two species, either small game or deer.

Trouble is the rule books are written ambiguously and many rules are subject to interpretation. Up north in another area I hunt I questioned a different warden about this same topic and was told that it was completely legal and he encouraged me to bring along extra arrows for the small game.

As I understand it each warden is given jurisdiction over a set area and due to the ambiguity what is ok in on wardens area may not be in another. But, better safe than sorry. I'll send an email into the DNR and see what I get for a response.

Chris

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2007, 07:35:00 AM »
Yes it is a sad fact that many DNRs have become a bunch of worthless txxxs. Here in SC stump shooting is illegal, as it is considered target shooting which is illegal. "The SC DNR also supports crossbows. Another place you have to hunt from tree stands only "for safety reasons, so the projectile can't hit another person!! These are the people who monitor hunting and don't have a clue.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©