INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Word of Advice about Stump Shooting  (Read 5601 times)

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Word of Advice about Stump Shooting
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2007, 10:15:00 AM »
DTala is right.

ibowhunt, I don't know which officer fed you that line, but I talk to Conservation guys on a fairly regular basis and if what you are sayign was the whole story then someone needs to be fired.

I support the MDC folks right up to the point that they start violating the law.

TO, that response is an invitation to be run through the mill.  I hope your folks get a chance to see that post.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2007, 03:21:00 PM »
when I said search; I meant for the suspect - not areas that are not consistant: with where the suspect could be. Like you could look in a closet for the person; but not in a shoe box.
 But once in a house legally; objects in plain view: are subject to seizure and use as evidence.
 And then as mentioned the objects could be used as probable cause for a warrant to search further.
 Fire Marshalls looking at homes for safety purposes can report illegal activity or evidence; and a warrant can be issued on that- but the police cannot ask a fire marshall to inspect a home to help them establish cause for a warrant.
 This thread started about stump shooting; and I really wonder if 'firearm' laws are being applied to bows; (which are not firearms) in some cases? I can see how clearly some states do say bows; but other states and some officers I have met do not- did not- understand the difference.
 I really cannot understand why a person cannot walk the woods and shoot blunts at stumps. Falls under 'liberty' to me. Here in Idaho; I buy a combination fishing and hunting license within the first few days of the year; as there is a bird season open into January. And steelhead are heading my way.
 I have never had to explain why I had my bow with me; but certainly shooting mice would seem legal - an not require a license.
  When I lived in Michigan; coyote season was always open; as was skunk; and opposum; so with a hunting license your always hunting something; at least in theory.
  I cannot imagine in a world with 12 million illegal aliens; and crime so rampant that it dangerous to walk the streets of most cities at night....that some yahoo- would take time out of those efforts to give a person shooting stumps in the woods a hard time.
  sounds like officers that should only have one bullet; and that should be in their shirt pocket........
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2007, 11:26:00 PM »
Brian....I think I have to agree with you on that one.....

Anyway.....without getting into any more depth's than we did here.....please, so you don't accidentally ge into trouble...check with your local law enforcers FIRST so you do this the right way.  

Still can't believe we can get in trouble for stump shootin !
ChuckC

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2007, 03:30:00 AM »
me either! I wonder if its OK to throw rocks? geesh.........
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2007, 04:06:00 PM »
I the way I see it is that if I purchase a license then I have paid to use the public lands. If I have my bow with me and have no game animals then I am not hunting, and I have the liberty to carry my bow. I guess the point of all of this is that we hunters and fishermen need to remind the DNRs who they WORK for.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
Brian Krebs... Hats off to you. You have my respect, as do all peace officers.

Each and every one of us MUST know our rights, as free Americans. We owe this to ourselves, our neighbors, veterans, soldiers, and our peace officers. To know your rights is to respect and value them.

They are vanishing before our very eyes.

Do not be afraid to speak out.

Offline Artur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2007, 03:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Gordy:

Originally posted by bm22:
i thought it was innocent until proven guilty, guess i was wrong
Welcome to the "new" Amerika.     :(  [/b]
If you own more than one motor vehicle, only one of which is drivable, and you are pulled over for not having up-to-date tabs on the one you happen to be driving -- yet you distinctly remember renewing those tabs, how do you prove that you were not attempting to avoid paying the necessary tax, instead of simply renewing the wrong tabs by mistake (assume they are all due around the same time)? Answer: You don't, because it is impossible to prove any such thing. I know, because it happened to me.

It's the same with stump-shooting on Public Land: The game-warden has absolutely no proof that you are not out there to shoot animals, and there is no way for you to prove otherwise.

I don't agree 100% with many laws, but we do have to obey them.

"The Ethical man knows what is Right -- but the Moral man will DO what is Right."
Artur - Archer/Fletcher; To Live Is To Learn, To Learn Is to Live

Offline Artur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2007, 04:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by TRADITIONAL ONLY:
i dont care what they say, im still a youth so they ain gonna say anything to me. if they do oh well, work harder to avoiid them!

remember: its only illegal if you get caught!
To you I must say: "It is illegal to murder your entire family only if I am caught". Now, do you still think that all is legal as long as you don't get caught?

The law is the law -- whether you want it to be or not. If you don't like a law, then work to have it either changed or repealed -- and if you do not wish live within the law, you have the priviledge of moving to where that law does not exist.

Offline Artur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2007, 04:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:

Originally posted by ChuckC:
Naphtali.  

No law enforcement officer in the US can make a warrantless search that I am aware of, even the Conservation wardens.   They CAN enter your private land without a warrant, but cannot come into your home for a search without a warrant.
ChuckC
They'd be looking down the wrong end of a 12 guauge side by side if they tried that around here....i'c tell em to go get a warrant, or piss up a rope.... [/b]
Good way to get yourself killed, or at the very least get a one-way ticket to prison for threatening a Law-Enforcement Officer with Bodily Harm (usually a FELONY offense), Kirkll. It is always best to respond with politeness and then hire a really good lawyer. "You will catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

I don't know of ANY cop who will respond kindly to having a gun shoved in the face -- or being told to "piss up a rope".

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2007, 07:41:00 AM »
I have been following this thread with interest and since I stump shoot I decided to do some checking. It is absolutely legal according to KDFWR to stump on public land unless an area is posted otherwise such as around hiking trails. Also since coyote is open year round I could even carry broadheads. If a misguided warden wanted to ticket me I can deal with that with the help of an attorney.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2007, 07:18:00 AM »
I too have been following this thread. One of my posts was removed. Too much opinion I guess. I can live with that.

A conservation officer not knowing or understanding the laws in his/her particular state is totally unnacceptable. We should know the laws, and must know the laws where we live. We
should never have to entertain the thought that there is a need to use an attorney to pursue a legal activity that we love to do.

Tim Fishell said no ticket was issued. Good job on the part of that C.O..

Offline Reg Darling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2007, 10:24:00 AM »
Here in PA I stump shoot a lot--a bow is simply part of my hiking equipment (for multiple reason that would require an essay. I've encountered wardens several times and they've always reacted with friendly interest (they don't see many longbows) and have agreed that it's the best practice for hunting. These encounters have all been on national forest or state game land. State parks and state forests have their own rules. A hike I enjoy is from a place on national forest land, across State Game Land 29, and into Chapman Dam State Park. When I cross into the state park I unstring my bow and slip it into a soft case because the state park has rules about weapons and I don't want to put anyone on the spot with a judgment call regardless of who would "win" in the end and I don't want to scare anyone out for walk who dosen't live in the same kind of world I do.
Having said all that, if I'm in the woods with a weapon, I wear my hunting license.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2007, 12:21:00 PM »
Thanks guys for all of your comments and thoughts on this.  I did not post this to stir contraversy or place any blame on the part of the C.O.  I mainly wanted to post this to let the people that do stump shoot make sure they know thier local laws and regulations.  I did not know and I thanked the C.O. for handling the situation like he did because I didnt know.  I should have known before stump shooting and that is the reason for my post.  Thanks again guys.

Tim
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2007, 06:00:00 PM »
I never knew stump shooting was illegal in Jersey until last year. I was waiting for my hunting partner to finish work at his camp and I decided to hit the State land for some shooting.

I was gone an hour, came back, put the bow in my truck along with my backquiver when the Conservation Officer drove by. He never stopped but when I told my hunting buddy I was out shooting, he stated I was lucky not to get stopped.

Seemed the Officer was visiting the camp and according to my buddy, I could have been written up. I love Jersey hunting but they need some new blood there to start thinning out the black bear problems and let some trad guys enjoy the woods with some Judos.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2007, 06:14:00 PM »
I've seen no comments on Pittmann-Robertson with regard to national forest land, which is NOT owned by the states.  There, all legal recreational uses are, by law, permitted.  I'd like to see a few thoughts on that.  As an aside, here in CA I carry one of my bows frequently, stumping, but also shooting cans and plastic, which I "harvest" and put in a bag for later disposal.  There's no limit on cans, by the way.  My feeling is, if there was ever a problem, whoever had it would look really stupid in court, which is exactly where I'd take them.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2007, 06:54:00 AM »
After reading all of these I think we need to remind our DNRs that we are their CUSTOMERS and we are not happy with the service they are providing us. A good way to shake them up is to write an email/letter to your governor and state government officials. Remember your are their customers, act as such, their job is to provide you a service. My days of showing respect to any elected official are over, 1) they cost too much, "taxes" 2) they must earn my respect. Just my two cents.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©