INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: When does it end !!!!!!!!!  (Read 3599 times)

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: When does it end !!!!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2007, 05:56:00 PM »
Take a look at the Cabelas fall master catalogue.
Crossbows dominate the "archery" section. Whatever
that means, it can`t be good.

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2007, 07:22:00 PM »
I didn't want to even hint at it, but they're being touted as the "savior" for game agencies.  They're placed in archery seasons, increase hunters during those times, kill more deer, and it's another license for them to sell, not to mention the sales for the manufacturers.  There, I've said it.  I don't want to hijack the thread anymore than I've already done.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline AR Newbie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2007, 11:26:00 PM »
I am new here so before I start, just wanted to say this is a great place and I wish I would have know about it when I started archery.
I resemble a lot of the previous comments. I grew up  in a non hunting family with very limited influence from friends. I started off with a compound bow mainly because there wasn't any other type of bows at my local shop. After a lot of trial and error (haha mostly errors) I managed to take a doe and a buck. It was a great accomplishment for me. Unfortunately I fell into the "ohh gotta have that new sight, ohh that release would make me better". It wasn't until I went on a cow elk hunting trip in Arizona with a buddy and his dad that I realized what I was missing. We took a break from hunting and went stump shooting. They let me borrow a bear recurve. I never had so much fun shooting at flowers, clumps of dirt, and of course stumps.
To make a short story long... Don't be too hard on some of those techies, maybe they just don't understand what they are missing. I honestly didn't realize how much excitement could come from such a simple bow. Maybe it just takes someone (like the great members of this forum or my buddy) to make a difference in someone's life.
I recently purchased a recurve from Gordy and an armguard from Mike and cannot wait to start shooting.
I appreciate all the information posted here.
Thanks,
Tad
"I am rather inclined to silence, and whether that be wise or not, it is at least more unusual nowadays to find a man who can hold his tongue than to find one who cannot." - Abraham Lincoln

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »
Welcome aboard Tad.  Glad to have you pull up a stump and shoot the breeze.  That turning point was a magical time for you.  I'm pretty sure evryone here has had one of those, the lightbulb goes off, and big smile gleams across your face.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2007, 10:29:00 AM »
Darren, i had almost that exact conversation 15 years ago in Atlanta, Ga. with a store.....he's right to an extent. I have several friends who own archery stores..traditional guys are "builders" "makers"..We are not a retail dream.... There is a guy on Real Tree Roadtrips with Micheal Waddell..named TBone..he told me same thing from his archery store years ago in Ga..that he couldn't carry much traditional stuff because we rather "make it" than buy it...he was funny about it and good natured but point was direct.....I guess the bottom line is us traditonal bowhunters find it's more important what we take an animal with versus gettin him at all cost like the other side..neither is more right than wrong..
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2007, 12:41:00 PM »
It will never end. Technology is a substitute for skill. Most people lack skills today and try to make up for that lack of skill by the use of technology. Traditional bowhunters tend to see the joy of learning and using skills that others will never know. Sad but true for the unskilled, walking through life trying to be and do everything they see in print and on TV and making use of anything and everything to have a "preceived" advantage and a warped "illusion" of what it's all about really. Just give them a thumbs up and move on.
Gen 27:3 "Take your hunting gear, your quiver and bow, and go out into the field to hunt some game for me."

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2007, 04:34:00 PM »
Well let me take a shot at this, just my opinion and that along with a dollar twenty five will get you a large cup of coffee at MacDonalds.  While for the most part, none of us have to hunt to eat(although I do eat what I kill and enjoy it)so what is the motivation?  I would suggest that it is a combination of instinct, going back to our primal past. We are predators, and predators hunt. Being a little higher on the evolutionary scale, if you believe in evolution, we have the ability to reason far greater than any other animal in the world.  We have free wills and freedom of choice.  Therefore I would submit that most of us hunt for the challenge. I will go a little further and suggest that we enjoy the competition, but not with one another(although that happens)but the ultimate test. The test of one's skills, and trying to best himself.  We of the stick and string are geared more to hunting by doing it with a weapon that is not easily mastered.  So I guess we are more geared to the method as opposed to the result.  Now before you throw the rotten veggies hear me out,  of course we want success, but not to the exclusion of all else, or at any cost.  

We are more intuned with the total experience, and having tried and failed our way is far better to us than being sucessful(making a kill)by using a rifle or compound.  

I feel everyone has the right to make his or her own choices of hunting tools.  However I cannot sit by and say that there will be no consquences for continued use, or more use of gadgets.  

Just for the record, there are game departments considering allowing crossbows to be used in general archery seasons.  Some of these very same game departments are noticing that our compound toting brothers and sisters are raising the success rate to the point that shorter seasons are being considered.  Live and let live, we may regret this attitude one day.  

I lost my mind and shot compounds for just shy of ten years, I remember telling people then that if they outlawed compounds most of them would stop shooting or hunting with bows.  I followed that with, I would continue with a recurve or longbow, wood arrows, and bear heads.

My fears are real, I am not a elitist.  I love my traditional tackle, I am proud of my hunting skills.  I also know that what I have, others can do, I am not special.  Hunting was never intended to be easy.  It should be what it is, nothing more, nothing less.  The Archery Industry wants numbers, heck that is how they pay the bills.  I want numbers but not at all cost, I want quality members on either side of the equation.

The bow was never intended, or expected to challenge the pistol, rifle, or muzzel loader in range or ease of use.  I think most of us would agree that the compound has narrowed the gap.  The danger here is simple, when the game departments decide enough is enough, they won't separate stick and string from compound.  WE WILL LOSE TOO!

Better to take a little nasty medicine now, than to depend on the surgeon later.  NUFF SAID.
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline AR Newbie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2007, 06:45:00 PM »
If I am not mistaken, crossbows are already allowed during archery season here in Arkansas...  :(  But we can save that for another thread...
"I am rather inclined to silence, and whether that be wise or not, it is at least more unusual nowadays to find a man who can hold his tongue than to find one who cannot." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »
Saw a friend from where I used to work that had got a new compound and was telling me it shot so flat he had put on a one hundred yard pin! I don't know how he could see the target with the pin on it.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline matt schuster

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2007, 02:27:00 PM »
Don Thomas wrote a great piece in the last issue of Gray's Sporting Journal about the death of woodsmanship.   It was written such that it would offend no person but hit the nail right on the head.   It is great stuff and worth leaving around camp for others to read.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2007, 03:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shakes.602:

They are Bashing Us,  BUT .........That Doesnt Mean  WE  Have to Stoop As Low just for a Vengeful Gaff on their Bells, Whistles, and Doo-Hickeys!

I read quite a few different bowhunting boards and can't ever remember a bunch of compound shooters piling onto a thread and bashing traditional bowhunters. Sadly, the opposite is far from true. No offense to anyone here, but I've shared camp with enough bowhunters (compound and traditional) to know that neither user group has a lock on ethics and responsibility.

Personally, I hunt how I hunt and with what I hunt for one reason: I enjoy it. Others choose different roads because they enjoy a different route. To each his own. I don't have to look down on the next guy to be happy with myself.

Honestly, I think traditional bowhunting would be far better served if its participants would spend more time promoting stickbows, and less time bashing compounds.

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2007, 10:33:00 AM »
What issue of Gray's was Don Thomas's article? I went and bought the Sept/Oct issue last night to read that article and it wasn't in that one. I might just have to get a back issue. That is a pretty good magazine. I like to read well written stuff. I used to subscribe to Field and Stream just to read Hill Country. Since Gene Hill died I don't get the magazine anymore. I do like the way Don Thomas writes though. His articles are always the first I read in TBM.
Gen 27:3 "Take your hunting gear, your quiver and bow, and go out into the field to hunt some game for me."

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »
In Agreement with Mr. Wesbrock, I went to a Tourney and watched a Guy shooting his Compound with only a simple arrow rest on it. No Peep Sight, no Nothing! And He was a Darn Fine Shot!!
  I still own my Compound with "Bells and Whistles" tucked away in my closet for now. Figure maybe someday Trade Material or something.
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2007, 06:52:00 PM »
Tad, that's precisely what got me out of compounds!  One day I realized how heavy my Hoyt proforce extreme, the arrows the release, the sights, stabilizer, etc. had grown.  Put it down for a few years, then bought a Bickerstaffe longbow, and it's been downhill ever since!  What a total JOY to run around in the woods with a feather in one hand, and a stick in the other!  Makes me imagine I'm one of Robin Hood's merry men, outfoxing the sheriff again.  Since I teach medieval history, that's not a stretch of imagination for me, but I do confess I leave the tights at home most of the time-don't look THAT good in lycra   :scared:   Gave the compound to my daughter's boyfriend.  In another month or so, I'll get a new custom Firehawk from Rodney Wright, then it's "Bunnies Beware" until pheasant season!
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2007, 10:17:00 PM »
in truth we can find good and bad in both traditional and modern bowhunting gear. each of us must find our place as bowhunters and stewards of the land. when all comes down to the shot, it's just the hunter and the animal and weather we are using traditional gear or a compound shouldn't matter.

sometimes, actually most of the time i just sit back and watch as the compounders do what they do. then i step up and loose an arrow without saying a word except for maybe nice shot or something similar. it doesn't take long before the questions start. the can worms gets open and that's where we can recruit. think back to when you first shot that traditional bow.

i shot a compound for 20+ years before finding out what i was missing. we all have to follow a path and some lead right to traditional and others take the long way around and some may never lead to traditional.  but what is important is that each of us find peace with the weapon we choose weather it be a bow or firearm or worse yet a crossgun. no i don't like them, but i won't knock someone that uses them either. why should i, i am not God and there fore have no right to judge.

let's all just get a long and use those opportunities that present themselves in a positive manner instead of being negative.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline SC Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2007, 01:40:00 AM »
I'm new to this site and trad archery. This will be my first year with trad gear and I would like to put my two cents in. I grew up in a household of die-hard gun hunters. Bought a bear recurve at 12 and loved it but had noone to help me. Met some friends who shot compounds and bought one. Used both the gun and compound for 15 years or so. Got to the point that I felt that gun hunting wasn't a challenge (if thats the right word to use). Hunted with compound only since. Last year got to the point that hunting with a compound was about the same as a gun. I have always practiced relentlessly with whatever equipment I use. If a deer was within 45 yards it was pretty much a sure thing. After all this rambling I guess my point is: You get into what you are exposed to. Watch the hunting shows on TV. I swear everyone uses a Matt***s bow. Gotta have a fall-away rest. Don't leave the house without a good pair of Swar****i binoculars. Gotta ride to your stand in a small pickup like vehicle. On and on and on. How many trad guys do you see on TV? Until finding this site I knew no-one who used trad equipment. I made the switch due to my own disgust with the technology thing. I think another problem is it seems everyone on TV hunts with so-and-so outfitters. Not knocking outfitters but unless I"m required to hire one I'm doing it myself. But my point is everyone sees that the guys on TV have an outfitter and shoot giant whatevers. Gotta have an outfitter. Plop down $3000, $4000 or more, these guys are going to use the best technology they can. Unless someone just gets sick of it like me or are exposed to traditional archery by a friend or family member it will be the techno route for them.

Rob
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Pope & Young General Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Darren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »
Great feed back everyone. It is not just the bowhunting industry, it is hunting in general. Tonite I just came back from a afternoon duck hunt with my Dog and bird hunting partner Caesar, and I walked passed these two guy's also duck hunting and I herd them laughing because my jacket did not match my pants, and I started to laugh myself because my sock's did not match either.........lol but they dident know that...lol I just thought I would share that. Good luck hunting.

Darren

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2007, 06:13:00 PM »
Do they even Sell Camo "GarAnimals"?? hahaha  THAT  is Hilarious Darren!!  :biglaugh:   I never thought about "Hunting" or "Shooting Anything" was a "Fashion Show". Ya Just Never Know  WHERE  that "Fashion Bug" Will Bite!
  :biglaugh:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Wulomac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2007, 09:54:00 AM »
You can't convert those that already come to church.  We need to convert those that are not yet members.  This also holds true for us.  I teach the youth that I work with through boy scouts about survival skills.  Saturday, they all start making their own board bows.  One step at a time.  Be persistent.

Wells
And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.  GEN-21:20

Offline matt schuster

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »
The article by D.Thomas in Gray's was a few issues back.   I will try and find it and let you know.   It was an excellent read as most of Gray's usually is.

On another note:  I have a couple of friends with national tv shows - actually they are more like infomercials - and they have asked me several times if I want to be on them but that I can't dress like a homeless hunter in my old non-camo clothes (old Dockers & plaid shirts) so I decline.   I tell'em that I don't need matching camo with my name on a shirt because I already know who I am.  

I don't have a problem with most legal bowhunters, but I do think the prevelance of videos/tv that glorify antlers and technology is not a good long-term development for our sport.  It is hard to explain to a non-hunter what a walk-in-the-woods, substanance hunter like me does, when all they see are high-tech, antler-motivated, product pushers on tv.   I don't see what can be done about it, since we live in a capitalist society where folks are free to do their own thing and it sure looks like outdoor tv is popular so a lot of folks must like it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©