INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: I hope this doesn't happen to you  (Read 1041 times)

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
I hope this doesn't happen to you
« on: September 06, 2007, 05:40:00 PM »
The great communist state of PA, in their infinite wisdom, chose to NOT spray for gypsy moths this year. Almost everybody I know in York county has to look at this:

I saw one acorn while scouting last Sunday, about the size of my pinky nail:

I really don't know if it is a state or county run thing, but the locals screamed so loud that they already had a press release and said they would take care of it next year. There is lots of brouse, the understory really got thick, but no "heavy" food on the ground. "Heavy" meaning something other than leaves, no fat builders. What deer don't get shot will have a tough time this winter.
Bret M. FullER

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I hope this doesn't happen to you
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 05:42:00 PM »
My apologies to any who may have been offended, PA isn't a communist state, just needed to rant. It's one of confusion.
Bret M. FullER

Offline Shape Shifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 08:03:00 PM »
The good ol' Gypsy Moth's are back and in great numbers. Back in the day, one of my research projects I worked on in college was the gypsy moth. They can completely wipe out a forest in no time. In some forested areas it sounds like its raining when it is actually the gypsy moth munching away.They are cyclic in nature.About every 5 years they come back and come back stronger than before especially in areas where spraying was limited to certain areas.By the looks of the forest in some areas, it is going to a very bad year for the Oaks in PA.
"Effort only fully releases its rewards after a person refuses to quit"

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 05:10:00 AM »
Where the gypsy moth is most prevalent, there is usually a spraying program that landowners can get into.  They usually have to sign up a year ahead however.  It's not cheap and has to be done when the caterpillars are doing their eating in the trees.  You can't kill them with spray when they are in the egg masses.

I'm not sure what State Forestry's plans are for next year, but it may be on the website.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©