INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Season of Cruelty  (Read 2091 times)

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
Season of Cruelty
« on: September 12, 2007, 01:23:00 PM »
Terrible article in the Baltimore Sun

Stop Maryland\\'s Season of Cruelty:  Fall Bowhunting

Please respond to the article, but only if you can do so politely and respectfully.

stick together brothers & sisters of the bow!
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Offline Goose

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Season of Cruelty
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 01:31:00 PM »
That's a real beauty!
Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 03:06:00 PM »
I caught this on the Pow Wow forum but wanted to keep it on subject.  I would encourage anyone who can take the time to respond to this article and to the email address provided just as I have done.  This person needs to know we are out here and we wont tolerate the misinformation that they are attempting to spread.

This is one of those times to stand together and not let our differences divide us.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 03:09:00 PM »
AND ..............  TRY  to Spell the Words You Use Correctly! When the Other Side sees the Grammar, they Stereotype  ALL  of Us as "Dumb Hicks" They dont need any Extra Ammo.  NO OFFENSE  Intended here either, I just know how people think.
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »
Here was my response to the article. I also sent this to the editor

Mr. Lamp

Maryland's DPW&T reports

"...deer/vehicle collisions in Maryland have continued to rise, with more than 22,900 deer-vehicle accidents reported during 2001..These numbers do not include the many accidents that go unreported. Actual numbers are possibly 2-3 times the numbers shown above."

You said "...bow hunters reported killing 21,991 deer in Maryland."

Does this mean we should stop driving?  

Or does it mean we should just stop hunting and let the deer over populate so that the number of car/deer collisions double or triple or even worse?

Or instead of having the majority of bow kills die within minutes, how about letting them slowly starve to death of a period of months during the winter because of over population?

Your article clearly shows that you have not done your research as to the facts of bow hunting and that you have merely injected your own very bias OPINION. It is also quite clear you do not have any knowledge of deer and wildlife management. Trust me sir when I tell you there is a very good reason you are always out-voted. The future health of Maryland's wildlife depends on people with your mind set being out-voted. Let the professionals at the DNR do there job and please do not interfere with something you clearly know nothing about. Thank you.
"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

~Gene Wensel (Primal Dreams)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 10:11:00 PM »
I say,Writeing to this Uneducated and Obvious animal rights Activest type will do no good.Write letters to the Editor of this Paper Denouncing the Print of one sided and politically motiveated articles.Isnt the News supposed to print the facts of a situation,not one persons Oppinion.Call this author on the Credability of the sources used as facts.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 12:37:00 AM »
nicely said T.J.
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 06:35:00 AM »
There was a really nice response to this on there forum by Bill in MI. I think it was on page 6.
"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DTS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 12:12:00 PM »
We protect our hunting priviledge and image with our responses to these misguided people.  Facts, kindness and votes make all the difference when dealing with mass media and large groups.  Please remember our words paint a picture of us to the world.  God bless.  DT

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »
Very good reply T.J.

Originally posted by Traxx:
Isnt the News supposed to print the facts of a situation,not one persons Oppinion.
Sadly this is not always the case.  If the editor has the same biased opinion as the reporter nothing will be done.  Any kind of rebuttal or editorial that is submitted will simply not be published.  That kind if journalism is more and more prevalent today than when I took journalism classes when I was in school.

Dennis

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 02:36:00 PM »
Sadly Aeronut you're absolutely correct

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 04:26:00 PM »
how does one respond to an article written by a clearly uneducated person? what astounds me is that he's on the wildlife advisory board.  I wonder in what capacity? It appears that he's a liberal studies professor.  Well, there's a surprise!  I see no credible credentials of any sort to intelligently guide conservation efforts anywhere.  but he is an "English and communications" professor!  Perhaps he's read the greats of conservation literature, and feels he knows whereof he writes.  Of course, there's no citations we can check when he makes his claims other than assumptions based on something someone else writes.  He writes of cruelty; deer running around with arrows feathering them.  He claims "well-documented studies", but fails to provide any references.  If he were to turn in this rubbish as a term paper for one of my classes, I'd fail him!  He claims "many are never found".  Again, any documentation, Professor?  Or do you simply expect everyone to accept your word simply because you're a "doctor"?  It's difficult to respond to this knee-jerk piece of creative writing politely and respectfully, when it's as obviously biased and uninformed as it is.  As it stands, it's written under the color of authority, and while it probably doesn't reflect the opinion of the Board, it certainly carries their stamp, as well as the stamp of his PhD.  People tend to listen to, and believe someone when they write under these sorts of flags.  However, what he's really doing is writing with emotion as his authority.  Emotion is the tool of the intellectually challenged, since they have no other weapons to bring to the front.  You, professor, are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I would remind you that opinions are like navels-everybody's got one, and they have pretty much got the same weight.  if you want to write an "opinion" piece, do so, but keep your titles and  positions out of it.  Then, you're just another  navel, which is all the weight I'd give your thoughts!
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 01:20:00 AM »
Aeronut,
Isnt that called Tabloid Journalism?
Worst part of all this,is this is the Kind of Stuff that is Implanted in our Young People,By educators in all Grade levels.We have a friend,who returned to school,recently.She told us things these Professors were preaching in her classes,that you wouldnt believe.Mostly by Professors,that werent even Teaching anything on the subjects.My own 1st grade daughter told of anti hunting Propoganda being taught by her teacher.That teacher is no longer employed by the school.Talk to your Kids about what they are being taught thesedays.
One of the most usefull lessons i took with me from College,was by my Speech and debate Proffessors.He Taught,"If you cant bring Verifiable Credability to the Table,then dont waste my time.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
hoo boy that forum is going nuts... i've been posting on there.  i know others have been too.

Offline JFPJR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 04:28:00 PM »
The chairman of the advisory board he sits on would be happy to hear your comments as well. Let him know what type of person he has helping him make policy.

Contact: Paul A. Peditto (410) 260-8549; e-mail: [email protected]

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 11:49:00 AM »
The unfortunate part of all this is that most (if not all) of the responses weighing "our side" of the story, which happens to be the actual TRUTH, will NOT be published by this publication masquerading as a newspaper. The Baltimore Sun is a wildly liberal and UNOBJECTIVE rag we locals have dubbed "the fishwrap".

The bowhunting community here in Maryland is infuriated, and some of my brethren in the Maryland Bowhunters Society (the more levelheaded ones) are rebutting his drivel factually, tactfully, and effectively.

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »
Good, keep us posted on what if anything happens

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2007, 01:39:00 PM »
Yes,Please do.
I would also be interested in hearing what comes of this.

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »
Mr.Shakes i tryied my best to spell correctly.I'm speechless,i think that more deer drop within a few hundred yards than ones that are never found.i posted that as politly as possible
Yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil:for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Psalm 23:4

"Speak softly and carry a big stick. . . . "           President Theodore Roosevelt

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2007, 01:17:00 AM »
oh my goodness.  the debate rages on in response to that article.  the hatred and zeal of the antis is truly breathtaking.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©