3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question for Carbon Guru's  (Read 323 times)

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
Question for Carbon Guru's
« on: January 13, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »
I received  a dozen Blackhawk Vapor Carbonwoods 3000 as a gift.I have absolutely no knowledge of these shafts. They say they spine 45/60 Lbs. Being cut down to 28"s what do you think they would spine at? I do know they fly better out of a 50# Horne's Traditionalist[not cut to center] than they do out of a 47# Shrew. Just shooting both bows I get the best flight out of the Horne's with 250 grain feild point.What can you tell me about these shafts good or bad? Thanks

Online Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question for Carbon Guru's
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »
3000 Vapors are pretty stiff for a 50# bow especially at 28".  It is tough to get more than 250g to weaken them.  I had much better luck tuning Gold tip 35/55s out of my 50-53# Super Shrews.  If you could leave the 3000s long it would be easier...

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »
Are they already cut to 28"? Blackhawk Carbonwood 3000 have a spine deflection of 0.400.At 28" the spine will be very stiff for a 50# bow that is not cut to center.If they are not cut I would start out at full length.You may have problems not matter how much weight you add.I had some CX 45/60 terminator's that were cut alittle short and I couldn't get them tuned no matter how much weight I added upfront.They seemed to get worse with a heavier weight point especially on a not cut to center bow.I've have found with carbons that a longer arrow will work better with a not cut to center bow.To be able to flex around the bow.A Carbowood 3000 spine is measured at 28",so a 28" arrow is going to be the same spine as a full length arrow,but they will react differently shooting around the bow.Carbons are a different tuning game then would be aluminum or wood.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
Thanks guys!Yep I received these from a friend that couldn't get them to fly out of his bow.That's what happens when you buy carbons for a Trad Bow from a compound shop. They are fletched and cut to 28"s. I'm thinking lose one [strip the feathers]and bare shaft? How are they as far as quality wise? Are they the same diameter as the Gold Tips? Hey I couldn't beat the price! I shoot my Gold Tips out of my bows now and they fly great. I 'm really happy with those.Shawn I guess I could try more weight up front too.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »
I shoot Carbonwood 5000`s, and found them to be more durable than the Gold Tip 75-95. Straightness, and weight variation was as good as Gold Tip. The inserts, and nocks were interchangeable with Gold Tips. As far as I know, its the same for the smaller sizes.

When I first got these arrows flying, it didn`t take long to figure out they needed alot of weight up front, like almost all carbon arrows.
I also learned, when cutting them off, 1/4" adds alot of spine.

No complaints about quality. These arrows are tough customers.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 05:58:00 PM »
Thank you Bonebuster.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©