INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Dead deer and lots of them!!  (Read 2599 times)

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Dead deer and lots of them!!
« on: October 27, 2007, 01:48:00 PM »
I live in Albany County NY and several landowners recently found dead deer on their property. They showed no signs of being ill, just dead. It turns out the midges are laying their eggs on the deer and they become larvae and they burrow into the host deer and get into their livers, kidneys and other vital organs and the deer bleed to death from the inside. So far our DEC has confirmed around 40 cases,all from found deer, some biologist believe the # is at least 10 times that amount in our county. It is safe to consume the meat but scary as our herd is already way down due to the huge coyote pop.  Just a heads up to us NY guys! I have hunted most everyday and my sightings of deer are 20% of what they were just 3 years ago!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dead deer and lots of them!!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 02:46:00 PM »
They are here in Missouri as well. Biologist told us the deer die quickly.

"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 02:49:00 PM »
Our biologist say it takes a while for the deer to die days even over a week once their organs are invaded. Shawn
Shawn

Offline mrgreenhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »
Why do people always blame the coyotes yes they eat deer but have you ever stopped and think that maybe its poor deer management do to over harvesting , We all know that state of Ny has no knowledge on how to manage our deer herd they just want them dead, Just look on how many doe tags they hand out is Oswego co , And we get 9 ft snow a year !!! So its not just the coyotes that are cause our deer decline , It our great deer management that the state of ny has.All they see is the cash flow not the future. Art

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 03:42:00 PM »
We are having a hemorrhagic disease outbreak in Virginia. Lots of dead deer around. I talked to the head deer biologist for the state the other day about it and he told me this is really a strange year, where it normally shows up is quiet and where there is normally none there is a lot of HD this year.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline 21cenlongbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »
We are having the same problem in Indiana

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 04:13:00 PM »
Art, I will tell ya why!! DEC radio collared 4 fawns in my area in June, within two weeks 3 were killed by coyotes and by the 3rd. week the other was alos killed by coyotes. I agree DEC does not do a great job managing the herd, but the coyotes are doing a number. Last year a camera was put in a coyote den in Greene County and form late June to Late August 23 fawns, 3 adult deer and several cats and dogs were bought into the den. That tells me coyotes are a big reason for the herd decline. Not the only one but a huge factor at least in the areas I hunt. Shawn
Shawn

Offline SuperKodiak38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 04:18:00 PM »
Hemmoragic fever is bad here too. Because of the drought there are no running streams and the stagnant water is a breeding ground for the midge.
"Go afield with a good attitude, respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience.It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."

Fred Bear

Offline Strutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 04:46:00 PM »
Thousands are dead statewide here in KY.

Offline ROB TAYLOR

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 05:34:00 PM »
I'd bone up on my coyote hunting if I were you guys!  They're ten times harder to fool and shoot than a deer, much more of a hunting trophy in my eyes from that perspective....but I do agree, they don't fill the freezer very well.  

Ah, but what the heck, pelt prices have been up the last few years.  Gotta hunt whatcha got.   :)
-Rob
>>>--TGMM-Family of the Bow--->

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 12:32:00 AM »
Sorry to hear that Shawn. There's a lot more coyotes around than most people will admit. About 3 years ago my son and 2 or 3 others got permission to coyote hunt on 6 sq. mile around where we deer hunt. They killed 56 off of the 6 sq. miles. Hap

Offline no

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 07:40:00 AM »
we have a guy coming into trap them.  We have 600 acres we hunt & deer #`s are definitly down in Dutchess Co. They killed a calf at the farm a few weeks ago. Many Bob cats here as well. I got one 38lbs last gun season. The DEC wont tell you but 2 of my friends had close encounters with mountain lions as well. Yes, they are here boys no matter what the state says, & they put them here. I would say Shawn is about right when he says only about 20% of the sightings from 3-4 yrs ago. Mike
Big Mike

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 08:35:00 AM »
Speakin of yotes...I killed a couple doe a couple weeks ago and while field dressin them them boys were circlin just outta reach. I could hear em and knew they were there. I'd yell at em and they would scat..for a minute. Law states no firearm carryin while bow huntin but after a kill I might go back to the truck and put the bow up and holster the .357.. I was a little nervous with my hands inside them deer and them boys around in the dark with a only a headlight on.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 09:08:00 AM »
Little secret guys... Here in Michigan nighttime predator hunting starts on Oct 15th.. If it is legal in your state, this is what to do.

When we shoot a deer with an arrow, we make little disturbance. But we leave ALOT of blood scent. If you have the time and want to try, go back after you get you deer taken care of. If legal, get in a tree. Take a SHOTGUN with heavy loads, get your light(s) ready, and use "The Can"
estrous bleat. Take an extra gunner if you can.
I recommend being in a tree.

You may get the shock of your life when you hear
and see how many yotes come around the site of a kill. You WILL KNOW how yotes are able to clean the bones of any deer you have to leave till morning. YOTES REMEMBER ALL ENCOUNTERS WITH MAN.
Teach them well!!!!!!!!!!!

On Oct 12th, I shot a big does for the freezer, at midday. Got it home and in the cooler by 4:00pm. Went back to hunt for the evening near the same spot, and the gutpile was GONE! Might work in the daylight as well. You can be I`m gonna try next chance I get!!!!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 09:15:00 AM »
I shot a doe early last week and had th esame thing as heydeerman. I would of never had time to do as mentioned in th eabove post. The coyotes were on my gut pile before I was 40 yards away, there were at least 6 of them. I went back about 40 minutes later as I left my knife on a tree, everything gone and cleaned up except the stomach and some intestine. Shawn
Shawn

Offline mrgreenhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »
well shawn ill come down and trap he yote for you if you like . Art

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 09:17:00 PM »
Yup and I am gonna trap this winter. It will help some but the yotes are thick here! Shawn
Shawn

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »
they are rough on fawns as evident by deer cam pics of coyote's with fawns in their mouths passing by camera they are very intellegent and cunning the ultimate trophy with a bow but i am gonna throw some lead at then soon Ralph.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2007, 06:13:00 PM »
out here, we have plenty, even in the `burbs.  i see `em out hunting in broad daylight regularly on my commute between Sacramento and Davis.  haven't thought about hunting `em here, though.  there's not a lot of land available for taking a crack at `em even with a bow.  I'd like to see some stats about mountain lions, though; they're sacred cats here in the world's largest outdoor insane asylum. In fact, the last time I saw one, it was in the arboretum on the grounds of Cal State university, Sacramento, on new years' day, lounging in the sunshine as we drove by for a bike ride with our club! We've had several people killed by them, but since we have so many people, DFG doesn't see that as a problem.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Offline F Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2007, 06:37:00 PM »
Question?

Checking the following web site there are numerous types, causes and risks associated with "Viral hemorrhagic fevers"

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/viral-hemorrhagic-fevers/DS00539/DSECTION=3

What type is associated with the death of the deer population and is it contagious to humans?

Ebola
F Thomas

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©