INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Dead deer and lots of them!!  (Read 2598 times)

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dead deer and lots of them!!
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2007, 09:09:00 PM »
Yes, they are here boys no matter what the state says, & they put them here.  
I would really like to see the verified proof they are here. Foto's, scat, carcess, anything.

Even better would be the proof the DEC or any state official stocked them.

Thanks
Steve

Offline jerrod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 10:21:00 PM »
I have also heard the same thing about mountain lions here in Northwestern Pa.  I would love to see a trail cam photo or even some pictures of actual mountain lion tracks.  I know people are really fed up with State dnr's and game commissions, I'm wondering if these are becoming urban legends, the stories all start out the same.  I have also heard the "coyote den trail camera" anyone out there have those pics please post them or a link to them.
John 3:16

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2008, 08:09:00 PM »
Cats have been in the souther tier of western New York for a number of years.  Been a few pictires published, seen tracks myself.  Also been some illegal exotice released or escaped because some dumb-a$$ had them and shouldn't have.

As for DEC secretly releasing them, oh yeah, it was to control the coyote population.  And those were released to control the run-away success that the turkey unexpectedly had here.  Give me a break.....

If you really want to believe that, then you better be careful that you don't let your sightings get out.  Seeing that they are endangered species, your areas might become off-access to hunt - hmmm maybe it is all a covert operation by PETA to kill hunting.....
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2008, 03:47:00 PM »
Cats have been in the souther tier of western New York for a number of years. Been a few pictires published,  
Could you please furnish the links to said pictures?

I have never heard of a verified foto of a wild ml in NY.

Thanks
Steve

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2008, 05:27:00 PM »
I live smack dab in the middle of acknowledged mt lion and bobcat country. My neighbor lost a dog ( golden retriever) to a mountain lion; and she ( the neighbor) treed the cat and called fish and game. By the time they got there; the cat had gotten down and taken off. Hounds were put on the trail; and different lion was taken behind another neighbors house. Lots of lions here; but I have only talked to a couple people that have EVER seen ONE.
 I look all the time; and I have only seen one or two a year.
 So; figure if I live in open country for the most part; and have seen a lion taking down a deer from my cabin in the past; and have had them take my neighbors dog....yet I only see one or two a year.

WELL THEN: what are the chances of people seeing a low number of cats- in a thickly forested area?

Coyotes do impact the deer herds; but seems like if there are deer walking around dying of disease; the easier it would be for the coyotes to make kills.

Of course that will lead to more coyotes..

Here in Idaho the wolves eat the coyotes. Want us to send you some ????   :saywhat:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Mrs Stickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »
We have the same thing here in Iowa.  The DNR released them but still says they are not here with the exception of the ones who "wander into the state".  Thing is, since the DNR says they are not here.  There is no season for them and no regulations regarding them in Iowa.   We have been told, by the Iowa DNR if you see em, Shoot em.  No law against it.
"Brown dogs make the best BOWCHERY dogs"

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2008, 12:22:00 AM »
We have a few cats, but it doesn't appear to be a big problem. I have seen bob's around, and heard rumors of larger cats, but it really doesn't seem to be that large of a problem.
 Of course we are talking about Nebraska now, Where there are more wildlife than Democrats.
 Awe come on, it was a joke!
 Anyhows, the desease has not flourished here yet. Not to say that it won't, because we are overpopulated. My youngest son has an opportunity to work for NE wildlife. Hope he gets the job. I'm not sure if I would be able to handle the damn polotics.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2008, 02:35:00 AM »
Bowferd: it is not those that stand quiet that will help in our battles; its those like you that spoke out here that will.
 Salute.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2008, 10:55:00 PM »
Angus:  "We've had several people killed by them, but since we have so many people, DFG doesn't see that as a problem."   :biglaugh:

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2008, 12:05:00 AM »
here in Iowa in the Loess Hills the deer numbers are not as good as the area could hold.  If you get a deer return to the gut pile and bring a quiver full of arrows, the coyotes are thick.  If the fur price would go up the problem would be reduced in Iowa.
  Now as for the big kitties, in NW Iowa they are for real.  My daughter inlaw had one follow her trail to within 30 yards of her.  Doe pee on her boots was the cause.  When she told the cat " If youdon't leave I will have to shoot you." From my position it looked like it took four bounds is all to clear the thirty foot high earthen dam, she was at the base.  That lion was killing turkeys as well.  The feathers were half buried under the cedar trees all over the place around that pond.  I do not believe the DNR put them here.

Offline killerelite13

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »
Shawn this is my first Trad post.  Been hunting with traditional stuff for about 15yrs and I have a couple of points.  I live/hunt Greene Co and we had very few Doe tags for the firearms season.  I have counted 18 deer in my hunting area in one bunch as late as this past week.  Also almost every surrounding field had 5-10.  Lots of deer.  Two reasons come to mind.  The Greene County area has had several years with limited antlerless tags.  Also being a rifle area most hunters I know of shoot/shoot at almost every dog they see.  I killed  a big male and my father hit but we lost another one in same season.  Albany County has a large area of residential areas with alot of homes..4S comes to mind.  I hunt here and have for 20 yrs or so.  I see far less deer and most dogs I see are out of range.
Solution may be to put aside the sport of stick arrows for the dogs and spend time with a shotgun or 223 and kill some dogs.  Alot of folks will let you hunt coyotes and not deer as coyotes leave disturbing crime scenes when they encounter the suburban cat and show dog.  Good Luck.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2008, 07:16:00 PM »
Why don't more of you hunt/trap them.  They are a lot of fun to hunt.  Never heard of midges going in.  Thought it was more of a viral thing the midges carried.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©