INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Trad Prejudice (hunting story)  (Read 2445 times)

Offline bhannah

• Trad Bowhunter
Trad Prejudice (hunting story)
« on: November 11, 2007, 08:01:00 AM »
Got up at 1:00 am to head down south for the hunt. Living in Illinois there are fewer and fewer places to hunt. Not having other options I planed on hitting some state parks, and today it was going to be Shabana. I get there at around 3:30 am thinking I will be the first on the list, boy was I wrong the lot was full and sing in was not till 5: am. Glad I did get an early start. I was setting up stringing the bow checking every thing out when a group of hunters came over to me and said “We hope you are not planning on ground hunting or stalking today we don’t like that down here.”  I said “That’s the way I usually hunt, I don’t like hunting from the trees.”  
“Well we suggest you don’t hunt that way today.” Man talk about feeling uncomfortable. I did hunt but I just found a place about 40 yards from the parking lot and well parked it. Then my pride got to me and I figured I was not hunting the way I wanted so I packed it up and headed home.  I didn’t want to ruin the hunt for the other guys; I figured someone should show a little respect today. I did put up a little note at the sign in shack asking for a trad only area to hunt.
Anyone else ever run into this. I need to find some private land to hunt…
Brian

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad Prejudice (hunting story)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »
How big was the property you were going to hunt?  If it was big enough, i would have headed to the farthest corner as fast as i could & still hunted back.  If it was a small piece of property, you probably did the right thing.  jmho...randy
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
Last I heard there's no "way" to hunt etched in stone.  If I choose to still hunt all the way, over every square inch of State land, my taxes are allowing me to do so.  No hunter has the RIGHT to tell any other hunter how he HAS to hunt.  The blood is raging through my veins right now.  They were rude and inconsiderate, to say the least.  You didn't ruin their hunt, they ruined yours by making you feel inadequate in your technique/equipment.  I would never encrouch on another hunter's "space", providing I know they're there, but sometimes you bump into another guy.  Hang in there, I'm upset at hearing this as well.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 09:45:00 PM »
I get the idea they would have said the same to anyone planning to still hunt. I don't think it was just aimed at your equipment. That being said, how many hunters do they allow on the park at a time and what size is the land?
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 01:34:00 PM »
I would have to agree with Vermonster. It sounded like they were concerned about someone walking around in their shooting lanes and such rather than a slam on trad gear. I guy with a compound still hunting would cause the same problem for them, and as you alluded to it would be inconsiderate. I would have done as Rastaman said and asked where they were going to be hunting so that you could pick another part of the park to hunt in.
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline bhannah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 06:47:00 PM »
This is an area of approximately 776 acres and only 29 hunters are allowed. I don't think i would have even seen another hunter let alone disturbed one but there was always the chance. And I beleive they saw the recurve and assumed i was still hunting. They were not asking the compound hunters if they were still hunting. Is this what they call bow profileing LOL!! But jokes aside it did upset me a bit. But as I said someone had to show a little tact that day.

Offline Arthur P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »
If it's public land you've got the right to hunt it the way you want. I'd have asked where they had their stands so I could avoid them, and then gone on about my business.  

You did well though. I MIGHT have been able to keep my mouth shut and not blurt out something about string guns and mechanical triggers, but that wouldn't have been a sure bet.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 03:03:00 PM »
Eh?

Why would their preferred way to hunt trump your preferred way to hunt?  It's public ground.  You watch for other hunters and don't walk under their stands, that's just common courtesy.  Other than that you say "Thanks for the info" and hunt your way.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline OzarkRamblr

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 10:10:00 PM »
Sorry for your aggravation. I have to agree with you, because you're a trad shooter they assumed you would be stalking & still hunting.

Congratulations on your tactful resolution, but don't let anyone run you off next time. We all have the right to be out there.
"A friend of mine said that I'm lucky, I told him luck has nothing to do with the life I chose, we choose the life we have and don't have, so choose wisely"...Kingwouldbe

Words to live by.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 11:42:00 PM »
Could it be they figured such because he didn't have a treestand with him? Not saying they had any right, but I am saying don't assume to much.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 09:38:00 AM »
rude on their part and if you think about it even though still hunting is a proven method
you probably would have moved some deer around
and increased their chances at seeing and maybe shooting a deer!

stand your ground and hunt some people don't mind offending you to get their way! Ralph
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 08:58:00 PM »
Sounds like they've probably had their day ruined before by someone who showed them no respect and wandered all around the woods.  I doubt it had anything to do with your equipment as much as your method and their past experience with it.

It doesn't sound that unreasonable for guys who are in a parking lot at 3am trying to be one of 29 at a 5am sign up to be worried about it. Especially if you're new to the area and the regulars really do have a standard way of operating.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Daniel Griggs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 06:45:00 PM »
Had similar issues when hunting public ground. Seldom worried about others as most won't walk as far as I those that did could be seen a long way off due to polka dancing in the "stand". I watched one guy swating bugs while a buck in the 170's class bedded downwind from him at about 80 yards.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 05:34:00 AM »
The land belongs to every taxpayer not just a hand full. We have state land close to were i live that is shared by bow hunters turkey hunters, the state releases pheasants there and it is full of people the first day of pheasant. I have never even heard of this kind of behavior from other hunters, you probably did the smart thing as far as your safety goes, no telling what could have happened if you were to have disturbed one or more of them. I think i would have contacted a conservation officer and just let him in on what was going on, they may of had a talk with these people or possibly they could be barred from hunting there.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 01:41:00 PM »
I understand your frustration. I live about a half hour from Shabbona and don't hunt it very often simply because it's difficult to get anyplace good where you won't see 2 or 3 other hunters. Yes, there's a lot of acreage. But probably half of that is open ground (dove and waterfowl fields, CRP etc.), not timber. During gun seasons it's always filled up early simply because it's one of the few, if only, public hunting areas up here open to bowhunters at that time.

If I hunt Shabbona, it's during late season when the temperatures are single digits or lower. The property's not very crowded then, and it's easier find a good spot all to yourself.

Personally, I won't still-hunt small patches of public land up here (Shabbona and Silver Springs come to mind) because it's pretty much impossible to do without messing up other hunters. I understand that I have as much right to be there as they do. But I wouldn't appreciate it if someone knowingly messed up my hunting, so I try to do my best not to interefere with anyone else.

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »
First I would have asked who the hell they were and if they weren't any official type person, I would have told them to shove it.  After making a long drive I would have stayed and hunted where and the way I wanted.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline Gurn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 09:23:00 PM »
Is rabbit season open the same time as deer?
If so, you should find a buddy with dogs and give them a option. I still hunt, or I rabbit hunt. Your choice.

:biglaugh:
Just because it don't work for you, don't mean it don't.

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 06:34:00 PM »
A few years back the game warden in the county where I was hunting got a report of two hunters cheating.  they didn't wair camo and they hunted from a stool and a bucket.  the reporter said that he had put a tree stand at the top of the hill 50 yards from the road and these cheaters were hunting the 350 acres behind him and since he thought his tree stand was equal to a no trespassing sign they had to leave.  The one hunter with the stool was me, the hunter with the bucket was the game warden.

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
Brian,
First welcome to the gang.

Second I know how you feel. I've hunted public ground in Illinois and know what a pain it can be.
I've had another hunter set up his stand 75 yards from mine with him knowing I was there. Later he shot a button buck that I let pass.

Also, I've hiked in a mile or so, got there first and had two other guys come in from another direction. I shined my light, whistled, all to no avail. Finally I just walked over and told them I was in the area. They got all snotty and said they planned to hunt that area. I just walked away and found another spot. Really pissed me off. Didn't see anything in the other spot but was happy to be in the woods.

Before heading off from the parking lot I always ask others where they're hunting. Some give me a dirty look like I'm trying to find a secret spot but then I explain that I don't want to be set up to close to them and vice versa. Then they tell me where they'll be.

I try to avoid parking lots with other cars. If they get there after I'm gone and I inadvertently walk past their stand I usually wave and back out of there. I don't feel guilty though cause it's public land and that's just how it goes sometimes.

Good luck at Shabbona if you try it again. I haven't hunted there yet but my friend has taken two bucks out of there and has seen many more.

Unfortunately crowds like you mentioned give us all a bad name.

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2007, 01:35:00 AM »
We hunted public land this year because last year we had four stands set up on private land that we have been on for twenty years.  Some pushy ahole put tree stands within ten to twenty yards of every one.  He also intentionally parked his pickup in front of my wife while she was in her blind.  And then then smuggly ignored her when she stood up to talk to him.  Her former doctor.  On the public land everyone was cooperative and friendly this year, I hate fighting for elbow room, it takes all the fun out every thing.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©