INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: So you don't like the big tent idea for hunting and fishing?  (Read 4965 times)

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: So you don't like the big tent idea for hunting and fishing?
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2007, 09:55:00 PM »
Yes the NRA put a warning out about them some time ago I believe.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2007, 03:53:00 PM »
One of our biggest problems is that we're not vocal enough in our own defense.

Lately, there have been several letters written to our local paper urging people to support the efforts to change the make-up of our Fish and Game Council. There's at least one letter every week. These letters are written by known anti-hunters from all over the state, and are packed full of lies (which the general public may or may not recognize as such).

Since it is one of the most rural areas of NJ, with a large population of hunters, I would have expected to see at least a few responses from sportsmen. So far, I'm the only one to have written a response in defense of the F&G Council and the sportsmen of NJ.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2007, 03:56:00 PM »
Here's a great report on the impact sportsmen have on the economy (over $76 billion per year), as well as our political clout.

http://www.sportsmenslink.org/programs/sportsmenimages/FullReport_small.pdf
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »
Keep in mind someone (Editors) decides what letters go into the paper and what doesn't.  We had an incident here again recently in which the newspaper editor, for political and personal reasons, refused to print letters from people reporting the truth.  It happens regularly as most editiors use their paper to promote their political views and the views of their political allies.

I'd have a group (5 or 6) write in letters over a few days and see what gets printed.  You may find that you'll actually have to pay for an ad to get the truth out, while those spewing nonsense continue to fill the "Letters to the Editor" section for free.

When a bunch of letters concerning the same topic start showing up, particularly when there's been nothing in the news to warrant them, it's not a coincidence.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2007, 08:32:00 PM »
Very true Molson.  Several years ago we had an editor of a neighboring city newspaper that did just that.  If it opposed his opinion on any subject it rarely made it into 'his' newspaper.

I wrote a letter to him and asked if he would be willing to meet over a cup of coffee and politely exchange our views on a subject.  His reply to me about a week later stated that he 'did not see the need or have the time for such things'.

Dennis

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2007, 10:16:00 PM »
A local police officer told me just last night, "If I want to get a fully automatic rifle or even a mounted 50 caliber machine gun to out and have fun with....  We should be able to do that."  I believe if we all did that, we wouldn't be doing that for very long.  It is possible to metaphorically  shoot ourselves in the foot.  There maybe should be limits of some kind set, so the outrages don't wreck it for the rest of us.  I want to keep my single barrel Ithaca.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2007, 10:58:00 PM »
Let's steer this back to hunting and Traditional Bows now folks.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Gurn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2007, 01:49:00 AM »
Well Laddy I don't know what your police know about the laws in your state, but I pretty sure a machine gun is more that likely not legal. In the states where it is, it is severly regulated.
This is not what were talking about at present.
When was the last time you read about a crime being commited with a maching gun?
If you would like to discuss this futher you can PM me or go over to  www.marlinowners.com  or  www.adksportsman.com  I am a admin at both.
The boss man says this is not the place for this subject. I love this board and don't want to risk getting the boot.
So anyhow I reading a book on Tradition Archery by Brain J Sorrells Trying to get this Martin Stick to shoot for me. What do you all think about this guy, or the Stick for that matter?
Just because it don't work for you, don't mean it don't.

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2007, 01:57:00 AM »
I wonder if a traditional only organization, that expounded on the good points of traditional archery, could exist with out leaning on other organizations.  There must be some selling points that we would dare package on a public scale, that would portray us in a healthy earth and socially friendly way without alarming the uneducated and possibly win a few over.  In the spirit of adventure and doing things the hard way, keeping a rational perspective to not offend or seem overly defensive or partisan, I think we could surprise ourselves on how receptive the majority of the public would be.  If you keep your head in the sand long enough something is going to bite you in the butt.

Offline Gurn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2007, 03:44:00 AM »
I believe there are many traditional only clubs in my state. The Mich Long Bow Assocation is just one of a few. I think there a great group, and will be joining them soon. Anti hunting groups and those who they support in goverment will never accept us, and will not be appeased. They will work to stop us. Don't matter if we shoot longbow or firearm.
Remember if your right, and you compromise with someone who is wrong, now your both wrong, and only leave a sense of legitimacy to there misguided thinking. You only live to compromise another day. In the end you lose completely.
Just because it don't work for you, don't mean it don't.

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »
I could make my own club if I could gather all the people I talked into and taught this longbow thing too.  what makes me upset is that they are all better shots than me in a social setting.  Problem is, in our part of the state besides indoor spot shooters, bowhunters tend to be loaners and the main concern is to nail down places to hunt and keeping out the competition.  About the only anti bowhunting opinions around here, come from shotgun hunters, and usually only the ones that hardly ever leave there pickups. So perhaps they remain a loose knit fraternity is because there are very few pressures that are threatening the sport.

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2007, 04:09:00 PM »
Actually, Molson, this paper is neutral on the subject of hunting, perhaps even leaning a bit towards pro-hunting.

Last week's paper had a picture of a nice bow-killed buck taken locally, and this week's paper has a nicely-written article about hunting and our 6-day shotgun season on the front page.

My letters, as well as quite a few other pro-hunting letters have been published over the years.

This is a county newspaper. It is often targeted by the antis since our county normally accounts for about 18% of the statewide deer harvest.

Offline DaleinOhio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2007, 12:26:00 AM »
It's funny to me that Vermonster is quoting the USSA website and no one here recommended joining that fine organization.  The U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance (USSA) is the "junkyard dog" of the sportsmen's rights world.  SCI?  NWTF?  Both of them give money to the USSA for the fighting they do.  In fact, many times the things that the NWTF and SCI take credit for were spearheaded and fought for by the USSA.  You know the Families Afield program that is lowering minimum ages for hunters around the country and letting parents decide when their kids should hunt?  THAT is the fine work of the USSA.  There is a list as long as my leg of things the USSA has done from the background.  Much, if not all, of the info you see about HSUS on any other sportsmen's groups websites comes from the USSA.  They've been hounding the HSUS since the USSA began in 1976.

Another thing is the efficiency of the USSA.  Check out a website called  www.charitynavigator.org  and you will see that the USSA does more with the money they receive than any other sportsmen's group.  It would be a good idea to check out any charity you send money to on this website.  The USSA is small and scrambles for every dime they get and they get things done with it.  Dick Cabela, the President of Remington and many other sporting industry notables are on the USSA board.

Those of you wondering where to send your money...send it to the USSA if you want to get more bang for your buck.  I've worked for and been around a number of sportsmen's organizations (including the USSA...left to change career paths) and I can tell you that your money will not be spent better than if given to the USSA.  Those of you down on the NRA, I'm with you.  I've seen the way they work from the inside.  There is a lot I do not like about them.  But I do believe they do us all a valuable service.  I used to give them a lot of money.  But I channel it to other organizations now.  I just don't buy it when folks say that the NRA is the only thing keeping our guns in our hands.  They sure have been a large part of it, but it's the work (and good work at that) of the NRA's public relations department to keep that idea circulating.

All this is just my opinion.  Check out the USSA for yourself.  Vermonster is always posting their press releases on here and I applaud him for it.   www.ussportsmen.org   They aren't flashy and they don't give you a magazine and a hat and pocket knife when you join.  They just fight for our country's outdoor heritage.  I can do without the hat for that.
"So much do the savages esteem the wood of this tree for the purpose of making their bows, that they travel many hundred miles in quest of it."  -- Meriweather Lewis' description of the Osage Orange tree in a letter sent to Thomas Jefferson.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »
I was wondering how long before someone would catch onto that Dale. A little measuring stick to see how much attention people are really paying to what is here.    ;)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »
The USSA also has the best legislation watch pages on the web.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »
I wish more bowhunters would their environmental side.  All this constant defending are rights with court actions, although absolutely needed considering how court nuts the antihunting movement is getting, I wonder, if we were all more involved in environmental issues the general public would see bowhunters as more than just deer killers.  I run into bowhunters every year on canoe trips, so I know I am not the only one that likes virgin forests and clean water.  I also know that many who even speak of environmental issues are quickly attacked because of media conditioning from Rush and Fox News. We live pretty close to the earth perhaps we should show that side to the public.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »
We do Laddy but that side doesn't make for good news footage.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2007, 10:33:00 AM »
I agree with what Laddy said about the environment side. I feel that we don't need to fear the antis, slob hunters are already doing a pretty good job of turnig other users of the outdoors, "hikers, cyclists, canoers, and so on" against hunting" We need to police our own, take the time to pickup the jerks spent shotgun shells, left targets, and other trash. Report the morons who "shoot up the woods". How many antis are there? How many hikers etc are there? Just my two cents.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2007, 10:42:00 AM »
Another thing about the USSA is you don't even have to look for the information.  They'll send it right to your e-mail.  I've been receiving updates for years from them.  If it's happening out there, they know about it and are notifying you immediately.  Sometimes it seems I get notifications every day.  That is a great organization.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2007, 02:24:00 PM »
I've cleaned up trash from many an outdoor user who was utilizing the resource for a different pursuit. though it seems anytime trash is found along a stream or trail it is hunters/fisherman blamed. The Longtrail would be a sty if not for the yearly clean-ups and that is almost exclusively used by hikers.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©