INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Missouri Bowhunters!!!!!!!!  (Read 2312 times)

Offline Stone Sheep

• Trad Bowhunter
Missouri Bowhunters!!!!!!!!
« on: December 25, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »
As some of you may have heard, the conservation department will be holding public meetings to discuss the future of deer managment in the state. The two main topics that will be discussed are 1.weather to keep/expand the antler restriction program. 2. To move the firearm season later in November, out of the main rut. The MDC website has a list of the  locations and dates. Please stay involved, and try to attend one of the meetings.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Board of Directors (past)
United Bowunters of Missouri Board of Directors

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Missouri Bowhunters!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 09:22:00 PM »
I personally hope they keep and extend the four point restriction and move the rifle hunt into the begining of December, like Kansas does their season.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 09:25:00 PM »
That makes one of us....

If they want larger bucks, they need to implement earn-a-buck and stop messing around.  The four point is going to land us a lot of scrub bucks.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Tom D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 07:12:00 PM »
I personally am against the 4 point restriction. I love the chances of taking a mature buck as much as anyone but I feel that once the quality of deer improves in an area then the local farms get leased up and more pressure is put on Public land, which in some cases are already overloaded. I do not blame a farmer for leasing their property as that can be some income that may help them but when a small group leases a property for 3-4 people to hunt when before the farmer may have allowed more neighbors and family members to enjoy the same acreage safely, it just pushes prices up where big bucks bring big buck$$$. It also pushes more pressure on public areas which many already have a restriction on what can be taken there due to overharvest.

I spoke against the expansion of the 4 point regulation before and still have not changed my mind on that. In some areas of the state if the doe harvest was increased by too much we would have to go back to a draw system for an anterless tag. I don't see that numbers have changed that much in the southern part of the state?

The later season would be a good idea I think. It used to be in during Thanksgiving timeframe if I remember correctly?

Tom

Offline Johner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 07:47:00 PM »
I could be completely wrong here but isn't the problem too many deer.  In the 90's when their was less developed land and 800,000 deer a big buck could be had.  Now with more developed land and a population around 1.1 million deer there are fewer trophies. If you have a pond that is .25 acre it will support X number of fish.  If you get too many they all grow to a certain size and there are no BIG fish. Aren't deer going to be the same way?  If we cull the herd wouldn't we have a better quality herd? Wouldn't the advantage be with a less restrictive buck harvest as they can breed with a bunch of does given the chance.  

Like I said, I could be completely wrong and/or confused about the process as I have just started paying attention this season.  

BTW - My profile reads Arkansas as my family and I moved here for me to go back to school at the ripe ol' age of 30 but I am still a Missouri resident and miss it more than I thought I would.  

Thanks
Chris

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »
Thanks for the reminder Bob. I picked up a booklet at a local store to fill out and mail in your thoughts. Think you can do it online too!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Tom D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 05:42:00 PM »
I went to the presentation in our region last night. Yes you can find it online from what they said and also give your comments online.
  Some good information shared on both sides, MDC and the public.

TomD

Offline mobiltoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 06:56:00 AM »
Like Tom I was at the meeting last night and there was some good info from both sides.  I didn't go to the web site but it is suppose to have the same presentation as we received.
As a selfish bowhunter the move of rifle season one week later agrees with me. As for the 4 point restriction, some folks opinion was that it should be the private landowners decision. Since the data given revealed that it didn't work for the increase harvesting of doe as they hoped I agree with them.  I think the earn a buck idea has merit since it is already in place in some managed hunt areas and I guess it works there?
Sorry to ramble. The dept seemed open to public opinion so as said above keep involved.  
Bill

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 08:51:00 AM »
what is a earn-a-buck program?  how does that work?

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 11:00:00 AM »
The earn a buck basically means that where they want the population controlled better that you have to take a doe before you can take a buck
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline MOstate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 10:58:00 PM »
I just think that if they do go ahead with the 4 point restriction, so many deer NOT LEGAL are going to be called in as does. And if they move the rifle season to late November where they moved in from, how many wives/moms are going to be complaining? They moved around turkey season for that purpose and Easter (at least i think).
But that would just mean the rut would be over and maybe a second one coming in. And I think they where talking about moving the doe season into middle October. But then what does that do to the youth hunt? And  with the Tell-a-Check, how can they be certain that it is a doe in fact? And people wonder why the average age for hunters is increasing each year. If they put in a restiction, that just makes things harder. Kids dont want to have to pass on the first deer they see in the wild because it's to small. I would know, I'm still only 14.
Fred Bear Grizzly #55
"so, have you gotten anything with your bow without sights?" - Grandma

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 12:58:00 AM »
Still only 14? How long have you been 14?
 Its good to see someone your age getting involved with game management.
  Tip of the hat to you  :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline MOstate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 01:00:00 PM »
Lol I'm the biggest hunter in my family and I read a lot. Plus, I've talked about this with my Dad.
Fred Bear Grizzly #55

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 04:57:00 PM »
I think if they move the firearms back it would be a better deal as far as bowhunting is concerned. You'll get to bowhunt the rut.  I lived in kansas for awhile and I always hoped Missouri would take that approach.  There still will be plenty of rut activity after the normal rifle season dates we have now. We saw plenty in Kansas and their rifle opens the first week of Dec.
Yeah the wives will complain, but oh well!!
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline MOstate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
Yeah and I'm all for that. But when would muzzleload season take place? Before or after the gun season? Kentucky has a Septmber muzzleload season and as long as they're thinking about moving the doe season, why not this season too? And would bow season start and end at the same time? Or later in the year? Not to be starting any fights, just wondering.
Fred Bear Grizzly #55

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 11:12:00 PM »
I'm all for moving rifle season back.  I have mixed feelings on the other stuff.

I don't think you should write the code fretting around people breaking them.  The vast majority of hunters will obey the regs and those that won't are probably already doing stuff they shouldn't anyway.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Dark_Timber_Ghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 08:12:00 AM »
I was born and raised in MO. and think it can offer some of the best hunting anywhere.  My family has run a guide service for year with one of my uncles being a professional hunter.    

One common practice in Mo (or at least the mythology that I grew up with) was do not shoot doe's, they will bring bucks into the area you are hunting and produce more deer.  I believe this is incorrect.  Today, you can find doe's and little one's every where, buck the monster bucks I chased in my youth are not longer in abundance.  I think the earn a buck program is a great idea, and would help to decrees the population.  The ideal area should support a 1 to 1 buck to doe ratio.  This provides the deer with the nutrition to grow those monster racks of old.  I also like the idea or a size or rack limit.  The family and I commonly practice the 16 inch rule of thumb (a mature buck's antlers extend out past his ears).  For youth hunts, I do not think a size limit should be imposed.  The goal is to get kids into the woods and continue a legacy.  

Just my 2 bits

-Rutledge-
R/

-Rutledge-

Offline Dark_Timber_Ghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 08:20:00 AM »
By the way, the biggest failure in all conservation programs is public knowledge.  Their will always be law breakers, and that is for the conservation agents to handle.  With out public knowledge on proper game management techniques, knowledge and practice, we will continue down a hard long road with law makers deciding the fate of hunter.  

Question:  How will the ban on the horse slaughter market affect the wild game population?  I have my personal opinion; just want to see what people smarter than me think.

Again, just my 2 bits

R/

-Rutledge-
R/

-Rutledge-

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2008, 09:02:00 PM »
The 2008 "updates" to the wildlife codes are on the MDC website. If I read correctly the only changes are to expand the 4point rule by appx. double the counties and to create another (2nd) youth only weekend after Christmas.

Rifle same dates, antlerless same dates, archery same dates...

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline tgtraditional

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »
I have hunted in Schuyler Co.,MO.for about 15 years.Since going to the 4 point or better rule the quality of bucks have definately decreased.The last year I hunted there,2006,I didn't see a shooter off the stand.My brother only saw 1 and it came in after he shot a doe and was on the ground thrashing on her last breath.In all the previous years before the rule,we would see anywhere from 3 to 30 shooters.Since the rule it has steadily gone down and little scrub bucks are the norm.When all of the good bucks with good genes and DNA are gone scrubs are what you end up with.Every state thats went to this type of rule have suffered the same effects.
    Earn a buck is nice but then you always have the problem of a monster coming underneath your stand but you haven't tagged your doe first .Everyone is not going to let it walk like most of us would because they don't think the rules apply to them ,I guess!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©