INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: The future of hunting in America?  (Read 3319 times)

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
The future of hunting in America?
« on: January 24, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »
At the very best of times, a writer can speak volumes in just a few words. Check out this link to one such article, about what is happening to the tradition of hunting in America. Then let's talk about it. Dave

http://www.jacksonholestartrib.com/articles/2008/01/24/features/open_spaces/955289fda5948373872573d900777a49.txt

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The future of hunting in America?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 02:39:00 PM »
aint that the truth
St. Joe River Bows

Offline brettlandon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 05:57:00 PM »
Dave,
  I couldn't agree more.  I've gone from traditional tackle to compound and now am firmly entrenched in primitive archery.  Everybody is looking for that next level of technology which will ensure success at every turn.  Yuk!
  I enjoy the fact that I have made all parts of my tackle and can lay the success or failure of my hunt squarely on my sholders and not whine about lack of back-up battery time.  
  I beleive there is more movement toward this type of hunting and archery, but you won't see it on tv.  Why, because we're not selling anything.  If you have questions, you will recieve answers, not some prepackaged DVD.  If you need help, you will recieve instruction and guidance, not some new-fangled, turbowidget made in China and sealed in clear plastic.  That's what makes this side of the aisle really great.  People who readily give of their time, their talants and wisdom.  
  I wouldn't do it any other way.  So let China sell all their megahunter super packages to the gizmo and gadget geeks.  I'll learn how to myself slow and careful, making great friendships all along the way.  :campfire:  
  -Brett
Excellence is achieved, not purchased.

Offline Reg Darling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »
It's an issue, or rather a whole constellation of issues, that span nearly every part of the political spectrum nowadays: community/family/individual dependency vs community/family/individual independence--global economy vs. local economy, etc.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
"The writer pretty much sums it up, doesn't he. On the one hand, habitat and access to it are shrinking, and in some cases, the number of animals as well, and the average Joe or Jane is being priced out of the market. On the other, "hunters," hunting equipment manufacturers and media, spurred by greed and technology, are creating a more and more unfavorable image of hunters and hunting.

Where does this lead? Severe restrictions on hunting, and perhaps even the elimination of it, at least as most of us know it. Access is already being increasingly limited through lottery systems, high license fees, land leases, private land landlocking public land, the requirement to hire a guide in Canadian provinces, to name a few. A number of states have already banned hunting for specific species.

Powerful national organizations like the Humane Society attack hunting through the courts and mount massive PR campaigns to influence the non-hunting public, and legislators, against hunting. Outdoor TV and magazines give them plenty of ammunition. Ultimately, it will be the non-hunting public at the ballot box that will determine whether hunting survives. Though largely apathetic, if those who vote can be persuaded, hunting's days are numbered.

I suppose I have a more pessimistic view than most, but I feel it's not a matter of if hunting will be immensely constrained or eliminated, but rather when. It's the logical conclusion to the forces already in motion. And it appaers highly unlikely that those forces will be stopped or turned around. To paraphrase Winston Churchill, "Man will now and then stumble upon the truth, but most times, he'll pick himself up and carry on."

The writing is on the wall. Hunting is no longer perceived by most as the noble, spiritual activity it still is for some of us. We are in the minority in terms of numbers and resources, and both are dwindling. For these and a lot of other reasons, we, hunting and the game we hunt will probably lose.

Somebody please say something to give me some hope."

Offline brettlandon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 10:30:00 PM »
Take someone new hunting.  If we don't pass on our great sport to new people and our kids, it will die.  This will give you a chance to demonstrate responsible, ethical and legal hunting as well as adding a new friend to your list.  Hope exists as long as were willing to do our part, too.  Pass it on!

:campfire:
Excellence is achieved, not purchased.

Offline Butts2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 10:45:00 PM »
We as any type hunter can be we are our own enemy. Is it because we are lazy or always the quicker way that we are searching for? Why learn to use a compass I have a GPS, why walk I can take the ATV.  Actual hunting takes place in 1/2 hour I see it on TV all the time and its always bigger animals than most I have ever seen. The majority of TV hunts do take place on  private acreage.I believe I have only seen Eichler and Larry Jones ever shoot a doe. We need to continually police ourselves and others.I have to believe we will always be able to hunt otherwise I won't be able to dream in bed.Night   :pray:
Schafer Silvertip 58" 61@28
Hunter Safety Certificate
Bowhunter Safety Certificate
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Associatio
Pope & Young Club

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 02:46:00 AM »
I read the article; and its no secret I think we need to concentrate less on people that are out only to kill; and more on those that just are deeply into the hunt; and the overall experience.
 Which can include of course hunting really big trophy animals.

But on the page with the article was a note that the page was availible in braille. I can think of several reasons that would be a good idea for this site.

Several.   Is there a way to do it?
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 06:32:00 AM »
Unfortunately modern society's desire for "instant gratification" has reared its ugly head everywhere. Man now strives to make everything we do as easy as possible with as little effort needed. We prefer to sit on our arse and push buttons. Why exert ourselves?

We have evolved from hunter - gatherers into one stop shoppers at the "Supercenter". Most people don't know or even care where there food comes from or what is even in it.

Now that this insanity has found it's way into all aspects of life we see that it has bled it's way into the hunting community also. I hope that it gets squashed quickly but fear that it will only get worse.

No Thanks! Fair chase for me. I'll continue to use my own legs, stick + string and a sharp broadhead to hunt the animals that I have immense respect for. I prefer to be up close and personnal with the animals that I pursue.
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 08:15:00 AM »
It will get a whole lot worse before it gets better. It will become a sport for the rich. Unfortunately, illegal hunting will become more prevalent as the regular Joe or Jane simply can't afford to hunt a lease. Finally, regular folks will get fed up with it all and maybe things will turn back around. We'll see.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 09:09:00 AM »
There are alot of things threatening hunting as we know it.

I believe it will be negative public perception that will be our eventual undoing. Along the way, lack of recruitment of young hunters, and high costs of access, and license fees will speed up the process.

I honestly believe that paying high fees to apply for hunts out of state, and the eventual
ridiculus fees that are paid to go hunt is the biggest immediate threat. Ain`t nobody taking a kid on those hunts. He/she is home playing video games while dad/mom is away on a dream hunt.
When mom/dad get home from their dream hunt, they don`t have time to take a kid hunting close to home. They need to get to work, cause they are broke.

Wildlife agencies KNOW that hunting is biologically necessary, and that without the money from hunting they have no budget. This may be our weapon to ensure hunting for the future.

Like the others that visit this site, I`m doing my part. My kids go with me whenever, wherever I go. I have even begaun taking a few of their friends. They may be late for the school bus, but when you go to pick them up for hunting or fishing, they are never late.

Offline HNTN4ELK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »
In a lot of places, the beginning of the article is what some have come to call hunting.

It is shooting for a price.

Hunting involves some aspect of pursuit, and the hunter seeking the game, whether scouting the best location to put a stand on a trail, or hoofing it over hill and dale.

These are the good old days right now, enjoy them while they last.

Will hunting go away? Not as long as there are those who savor wild animals in wild places and the pursuit of the former in the latter.

Gary

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 03:30:00 PM »
A couple weeks ago I attended my State Archery organization, to which I am one of the regional officers.  The state organization (California Bow Hunters and State Archery Association) was looking into hiring a lobbyist to represent our interests in Sacramento, (the state capital).  As the Lobbyist was giving his presentation to us he cited a number which was a real wake-up call, although he did not intend it to be used as such.  He cited approximately 36 million people in California (lets not even talk about the undocumented millions more) and cited 340,000 hunting licenses sold in the State of California last year.  Holy smokes!  That's less than 1% of the population that hunts or at least bought a hunting license.  While it seams like that entire 1% hunts near me when I'm in the woods and yes I understand that many hunters hunt out of state and/or out of country never even paying for a CA license, still the numbers are significant.  Politically if only 1% of the population is interested in any given activity the legislature has a hard time allocating resources to the interest of that 1%.

For most of us on this web sight, hunting is a passion, a way of life and absolutely critical to whom we are as people.  But we must remember that most people do not understand us, do not care to take the time to understand the issues surrounding our special interest and only remember that one bad act committed by some fool.  Case in point, there has been a fairly frequent news article on the TV during the past few weeks about some jackass who shot an arrow through a Pelican's beak. The arrow is a field point, fletched with vanes and appears (from the chrome crimp-on tip) to be a child's arrow.   The danged bird can't open his mouth since the arrow has pierced both the upper and lower jaw.  Almost nightly the newsies are good enough to show the dwindling condition of that bird.  This is what sticks in the mind of the tree huggers of the left coast.

I have to agree with Orion above.  Seams like my way of life is doomed.  We'll fight to hold off the anti's as long as possible but in the next generation or so hunting will not be as we know it....and overall it will be the animals whom are the big losers.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline et

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 07:42:00 PM »
Mike O,
Yes, the numbers are scary but think of the power that the 2% of the hunters hold who have the money to dictate such foolishness. They have lobbyist who promote the any thing goes mentality and the rest of us are "antis" for raising our voices against the commercialization of hunting. My way of life will only be doomed when hunters subscribe to practices that remove the hunt from hunting or when there are no longer public lands where hunting is available. I can afford to hunt leased land but I would rather stop hunting then prescribe to behaviors that undermine the foundation of American Hunting. Public access to land and hunting opportunities that promote conservation of our natural resources are our key stones. Every year our standards of Fair Chase erode under the banner of recruitment, an odd percentage of hunters population vs. the aggregate that if we where to achieve that mythical number , we would have to wait many a year just to draw a “bunny” tag.
(Yes, I made up the 2% in my opening sentence. I pray it isn’t greater)

et

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »
Eric,

I have no disagreement with anything you said.  I see you're home base is Idaho.  I try to hunt Idaho each year...and yes I wish that I lived in Idaho rather than the concrete jungles of Southern California.  In time I'll get to leave this mess.  The fact is though, that each year our country migrates more folks away from the rural and suburban to the urban life.  That's largely why the Democrats control urban America and the Republicans control the rest of the country.  I am personally scared at what I see is the future of hunting as the numbers of the masses of people seam to be less and less concerned about Fish and Game issues.  It's possible that one day you and I will be called criminals for pursuing our desire to hunt.  That probably won't happen in Idaho as quickly as it happens in California....
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline HNTN4ELK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 11:53:00 AM »
Like Mike said, small percentages sometimes make big obstacles. 1% of the citizens of California buy a hunting license....whewwww! What would be the percentage of trad bowhunters of the population? Wow!

In Montana, 28% of the citizens buy a hunting license, 3% buy an archery license.  

Thanks goodness the wildlife is managed by the states and not the feds.

Gary

Offline arkiewoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 07:32:00 PM »
i wonder what can be done to create more interest in hunting, archery?
be the kind of man your dog thinks you are. arkiewoodsman

Black Widow Longbow
45# @ 28

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »
Take a kid hunting. Take someone who used to hunt but has a difficult time doing it alone hunting. Start a program that donates venison to the needy in your area. Become a hunting safety instructor so more classes can be offered near you. Writ your politicians on issues important to hunting and let them know how you feel. Take the bow that's not getting shot and put it into the hands of someone who has desire but not the means. Lot's of ways to keep hunting moving forward but they take effort on our part to make happen.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 03:57:00 PM »
What people may not realize who are focused on hunting is that participation by young people is down in all outdoor activities that require a substantial time commitment.  My wife and I do a lot of backpacking in the Sierra's and Wind River's, and I would say the average person we see on the trail is about 50 years old.  We see the same thing in mountaineering, with about the same average age in the California Mountaineering Club.  On the other hand, there are a lot of young people in the climbing gyms or rockclimbing on the local craigs where you can be in and out in a few hours or less.

My son is starting in the business world, and when I was his age, we would play a lot of golf.  But now they don't have time for things that would take all morning to do.  They go to the gym for an hour or run.  Nothing wrong with that, I guess, just a sign of the times.

I think they are raised to expect instant gratification, instant communication, and they probably have more demands on them at work than we used to have.  And of course, they spend a lot of time either on the internet or playing computer games.

So while it is probably true that those who find hunting to be distasteful are a little more vocal than they used to be, and it is certainly true that our increasing population is putting more pressure on habitat, there are also some more general forces at work that are keeping people away from time consuming activities.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2008, 11:44:00 PM »
Vermonster, I think I'm beginning to get this. Thanks for the help.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©