INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Michigan DNR to auction off bear/elk tags?  (Read 1038 times)

Offline John C Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
Michigan DNR to auction off bear/elk tags?
« on: March 29, 2008, 01:31:00 AM »
I was made aware of this from a state based forum and felt I should share it with all of you.   There was a bill introduced to allow the Michigan DNR to auction off five bear and five elk tags every year, with the money going back to the DNR.

I do not like the idea.  I am not against the funding the DNR, I even support a license fee increase... but these tags are hard enough to get without bringing big money bidders in on them.  I know it is only five tags for each species... but I wonder where it will go if it goes well?  Will they all eventually end up being auctioned, leaving the blue collar hunter from ever getting a chance?

For those not familiar with the Michigan drawings on these tags, it takes several years to get enough "points" (obtained by applying each year) to get a decent bear tag draw.   For elk it is similar but even harder to draw, and once you get a bull or either sex tag you are done for the rest of your life, cow tag you have to wait 10 years (IIRC).  Many people have been applying for elk tags  since the beginning of the hunt and have not drawn one.

Again this is just a bill introduced to the House of Representatives... it is     NOT   law.   It looks to be currently in the Committee on Tourism, Outdoor Recreation and Natural Resources for review.

Here is the link to the bill:    Click Here  

For those interested here are a few more links:

Find your representative here:    Click Here  

Info on the Committee on Tourism, Outdoor Recreation and Natural Resources:    Click Here  

*** Am I wrong in my feelings that this is a step in the wrong direction for the DNR?  I really hate to think what could happen in the future.  I would love to hear other hunters think about this one.***

John
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters

Its not about the weapon used, its about the adventure involved.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Michigan DNR to auction off bear/elk tags?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 08:51:00 AM »
Moves such as this are the beginning of the end of hunting as we know it.

This makes me sick.

I have been trying to get a bear tag for more years than I care to remember, and the thought that someone with more money than I have could up the anty and get one, makes my blood boil.

I see Joel Sheltrown put his name on this. BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 02:31:00 PM »
Here in Idaho; they auction off one sheep tag each year; which can be for either of the two kinds we have. I think we get about 75,000 out of the one tag.

One tag is one thing. 5 tags is a totally different thing. If you married ask your wife if you can have 4 more wives; and the difference between the two numbers will be obvious  :(

On one hand having rich people bid over one tag seems like a fun way to get their money. But five? It heads in the direction of only the rich being able to hunt.

Geesh; when I lived in Michigan bear was over the counter.

Out of curiousity are baiting and hounds still both legal methods in Michigan?
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »
Brian, I can`t remember how long bear management has included a lottery system. It`s been forever it seems. Baiting, and dogs are still leagal.

For my backyard, I have NEVER drawn after YEARS of trying. (Preference points are a myth.)

It`s not all bad news however. Bear numbers are up, and getting whoofed at when one gets your scent, is not uncommon anymore. They are smart buggers, and sometimes choose to live an unobtrusive lifestyle, living close to people, and never causing grief. Campground bum`s are a problem.

I apply for an Elk tag every year. Being realistic, I don`t expect to ever get drawn. Odds are against me.
Pull five tags from the available number, and my chances drop exponentially. Insulting!

If this bill passes into law, it will be a huge black eye for every working class hunter, who has tried for years to get a tag. I make good money, but with a wife and kids, there are always priorities.

As you said, one tag would be fun to watch the cash fly, five tags is an insult.

In addition, money being the deciding factor in who gets to hunt or not, is a death sentence for the whole idea of hunting.

Brian Krebs... I bet you make for a good neighbor.

Offline John C Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 01:30:00 AM »
For an update:

According to a poster in the thread I stared in the Mich Trad Bowhunters forum, the bill has died.  I hope its been quashed, and being the ultimate cynic, I wait to see confirmation myself.

Take care
John

Brian:  The bear tags have been a draw for as long as I can remember, which is not that long... early or mid 1990's.

Bonebuster:  I was reading on a state based forum that the DNR is looking to expand the season in the northern lower (not sure what counties)... starting a week earlier and more tags IIRC.  PM if you want the link to the forum.
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters

Its not about the weapon used, its about the adventure involved.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©