INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: CROSSBOW BILL IN MICHIGAN.....ALERT!!  (Read 5011 times)

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: CROSSBOW BILL IN MICHIGAN.....ALERT!!
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 07:52:00 AM »
Just to add to the dealings, the former Commissioner of the wildlife agency in Louisiana involved in the crossbow legislation is now employed by Horton.

Daddy Bear

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 07:53:00 AM »
This is from the current Horton Corporate newsletter:

Michigan General Archery Season Update 2008-06-23
The Michigan House of Representatives passed, by a vote of 94 "Years" to 14 "Nays" with 2 abstentions. A bill that would allow for full crossbow inclusion in the state's general archery season. This is great news.
The battle moves on to the State Senate.

Daddy Bear

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 07:54:00 AM »
How many of you bowhunters in Michigan belong to an archery organization that can afford to fly your state senator on a jet to an out of state hunt for an "unofficial planning meeting" and then give the senator parting gifts of money and tackle. If you cannot afford this, don't bother calling your senator as he is out of his office this week hunting with "Camp Horton".

Daddy Bear

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 08:22:00 AM »
To close my string of posts:

If we were all employed in the same government agency or all employed in the same law enforcement agency where an isolated group within the agency were involved in ethics violations or corruption; would staying quiet and hiding the truth be the correct thing to do out of fear that the word would get out to those looking for ammunition to go after the agency? Of course not, we would all then be corrupt. We should weed out such under the table dealings and hold those involved accoutable. We should remain above board and demand transparency within the agency.

This same logic should apply to wildlife officials and to us the stickbow hunters and stickbow merchants. If officials in other branches of government are fired or sent to prison for ethics violations, why does it suddenly become okay for game officials. In my state we had officials go on African Safaris. What about us, why is it bad for others to cover up ethic violations yet we here will routinely sweep it under the rug out of fear we will be giving ammo to the anti-hunting folks.

I think we should all strive to stay above board as individuals and as a group. I think if evidence pops up that casts a bad light on your local officials where unethical behavior may be afoot, the officials should be called out. Again, I have no dislike of the crossbow but I have a great dislike for the methods and motives behind this 50state push.

later,
Daddy Bear

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2008, 11:04:00 AM »
It is definitly a sneakey way for the manufactures of the cross bows to promote their product. Make it legal then sell,sell,sell!!! I have looked at a couple ads for these things and they are boasting speeds of 400+ fps. There is nothing "bow-like" about that!
 I have been sending my letters straight to the governor.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2008, 06:15:00 PM »
Thanks for all of the info Gary. I wish that all of our Senators that will be voting on this issue could see evidince of the tactics and lack of ethics used by the crossbow companys along with the state game officials.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »
2-BIG,

I sympathize with your plight, my family has a farm and farm house outside of St. Charles. My wife and children are there at this very moment. Members of our family have hunted and fished in the great state of Michigan for many decades. Ron LaClair is not the only one to hunt Armstrong Creek:)

I truly dislike the dirty politics involved in this ATA 50state marketing plan. The ATA has a "Director of Government Relations" who is an expert lobbyist with all the connections and resources needed to sway votes. These "Unofficial Planning Meetings" with government officials and their attorneys are not to sway votes but are strategy meetings to come up with ways to pull the votes off by pulling the wool over the citizen's eyes. A good example of this is the strategy they pulled on you guys at the public meeting. This entire thing is driven by the ATA and they will not stop fighting until they win over every state.

The ATA/Horton is all about corporate shares and profits, that is the American way and that will always be the case. They only look at our special bow and arrow season as a marketing tool and nothing else. We cannot change their view.

But, the political greed for dollars is a different story. That is something we can address. If a crooked politician is getting misinformation out to influence a good politician, we can work hard to get the good information out. If the crooked politician is indeed bad, we can work to cast a light at his/her true motives. We can work to vote them out of office. We can elect those who better represent our views. If a game official is taking trips and gifts in return for their support, seek them out and demand they be fired. The corrupt game officials in my state were found out using The Freedom of Information Act. It is most definitely a hard battle as even members on this very board disagree. But I'll stand my ground and will not give another inch!

later,
Daddy Bear

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »
Thanks Daddy Bear. I may see you some day around St Charles, I attend the Labor Day 3-D shoot at the Bad River Bowman every year.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »
My email was full and I'm just sitting down now trying to catch up. Sorry that I missed the emails reference the camp Horton pic. I just emailed the picture to all who inquired.

Thanks,
Daddy Bear

Offline Tdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2008, 07:58:00 PM »
United we stand/ Divided we fall. If someone would like to use a crossbow. So be it. That person is a hunter no matter what they decide to carry. Remember we are all out there for the same reason. No matter what we use to get the job done...Think before you Write. Tdog

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2008, 09:20:00 PM »
No problem with people using crossbows. They just don't belong in the arhery season.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline Tdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2008, 08:32:00 PM »
Don't be so greety

Offline Tdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2008, 08:34:00 PM »
Don't be so Greedy

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »
T-dog, you must be a young fella if you don't understand the issue here. You have a lot of growing up to do.

Offline Tdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »
43yrs young and I do under stand. Don't be so greedy. One year older than you. The more money spent on hunting equipment is better for all of us.If you don't agree with my thoughts thats OK but don't tell me to grow up and I won't call you a professional baby sitter.

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2008, 07:42:00 AM »
I'm not greedy.

I just don't agree with today's need for instant gratification.

Bowhunting is not "point and click".
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2008, 04:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tdog:
43yrs young and I do under stand. Don't be so greedy. One year older than you. The more money spent on hunting equipment is better for all of us.If you don't agree with my thoughts thats OK but don't tell me to grow up and I won't call you a professional baby sitter.
Didn't mean to offend you T-dog. Usually it is the really young guys that adhere to the big tent theory and not the older guys that have seen the light!  ;)

Offline Tdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »
Thank you 2-Big...fyrfyter43 if you truly beleave your statement. Then why don't you go after the wheel people. They point and click. Please remember where you are.If a person wants to ues a crossbow. God bless them. Thats what this country is about. People with wheel bows can shoot out to sixty yards. Good for them. Thats how they what to do it. Me I like it close, as do you. But who am I to tell someone else how to hunt.I don't want anyone to tell me how to hunt.As long as it is ethical.There are people out there that can't pull a bow back or are not that good with a bow but do well with a crossbow. Who am I to tell them they can't.So Eric your first morning in the stand nice buck or doe comes by. You will not shoot,Because you don't beleave in instant gratification.Eric when you are hungry you don't eat because,You don't beleave in instant gratification.Do you do the same thing when your thursty? United we stand/Divided we FALL!!!!

Offline DBerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2008, 04:05:00 AM »
May as well have one general season then?
David

~Kanati Klassic~ 50@26"

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2008, 09:28:00 AM »
Next thing you know the firearms hunters will be lobbying to get into the bowhunting season, because, you know, "some of us are just not that good with a bow, but we do well with a rifle."

Tdog, in my America, if you truly want something, you have to earn it. It shouldn't be handed to you on a silver platter just because you whine long and loud enough. That's one of the big reasons this country is in the mess it's in today. Everyone feels that they are entitled to whatever they want...just make enough noise and they'll give it to us.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©