INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Michigan Bowhunters Alert!!!!  (Read 3515 times)

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Michigan Bowhunters Alert!!!!
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 11:25:00 PM »
I got the MBH Alert.

An hour later, I got an e-mail from Shelteron's office.

I told them what I thought of the bill and asked to see all this glowing praise of the cross gun...never got any response.

Hunter #s are going down in MI because the DNR does not manage the herd, they slaughter it and have NO idea how many deer are where, therefore anywhere other than intensly managed private land, the hunting is depressingly poor.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 11:37:00 PM »
There's more

http://www.leadingchange.info/181548.html?*session*id*key*=*session*id*val*
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline bc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 12:13:00 AM »
The day fair chase died…

In a back corner of the downtown Lansing hotel restaurant, and unlikely cabal of competitors fake cheesy grins as they tensely raise their glasses for a toast.

All their hard work has come to fruition: The discovery phase, as they researched which politicians and bureaucrats that held necessary positions, that might be the softest targets; the implementation phase as they put their fat wallets to work further corrupting the already corrupt; the coup de grace phase as they used their hard bought leverage to rig public input and ultimately the voting that would release the treasure they sought: the destruction of another precious institution, fair chase bow hunting in Michigan.

Plausible deniability preempts the immediate presence of most of their operatives from the NRC and from the legislature. But they are toasted in spirit for their efforts.

Like arms dealers in Africa celebrating another culture destroyed -- all in the name of profit -- these merchant assassins will shake hands and head off into their respective safe houses for the time being. They have more targets, more legacies to ruin. This Michigan campaign was tougher than most, thanks to the deep archery roots of some of their opponents. The shallow roots and resulting apathy of the rank and file  archery contingent were an unexpected bonus.

Soon they will be competing with each other for the spoils. But tonight they are thankful for politicians and bureaucrats bereft of common decency, conscience, and certainly any significant historical or institutional knowledge of Michigan’s bow hunting heritage. Fair chase is only a nebulous notion to these contemptuous carpetbaggers. Masked by the din of ringing Blackberries, the endorphin rush from their slaughter and strong drink, they never heard the last gasp, the day fair chase died.

-----------------------

Emotional?

Remember, emotion, the concept of fair chase, is the only reason we don’t allow spear guns to impale brow trout rising to the hatch; as there is no biological (factual) reason for prohibiting it. This same emotion, spirit, was the common thread that made hunting with a bow and arrow a noble exercise.  

Our culture grows coarse with the efforts of secular progressive ideology that is intolerant of any traditional institution, regardless how benign or beautiful. From a simple Merry Christmas greeting to the Holy institution of marriage between a man and a woman, to the efforts of NAMBLA to lower the statutory rape age for their prey, or the ACL's jihad against the 10 Commandments posted in courtrooms around the country. Our pop culture is becoming more and more like Rome in the last days.

Bad guys win one today, but they have still lost the war because, as mentioned above, xbows will not be the savior of hunting in Michigan. Too many kids ride the couch playing video games and interacting on the internet to for us to ever again see an influx of new blood into bow hunting. Thus, in time, Michigan pawn shops will be filled to the rafters with even more hunting gear, especially xbows I hope.

Offline Bryan Burkhardt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 06:49:00 AM »
I received the same letter from Sheltron as Eric did in response to my opposition email.  

In his letter, Sheltron states "Over the many months in which I have reviewed this issue, my opinion on crossbows has changed."  Did he elaborate on this point in the meeting?

Bryan
You can increase your wealth by counting your blessings

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 07:22:00 AM »
In my first correspondance with the Rep. he told me that he had received "hundreds" of hunters asking for the crossbow in archery season.
His assistant that attended the meeting of a crossbow disability workshop, which I was on the committee, said that the Rep had received "dozens" of inquiries on crossbows.
Politicians just make up the numbers as they go along.  :rolleyes:  
I also am curious as to how the DNR knows how many archery hunters there are in Michigan? I buy a combo liscense every year and they have no clue how what season I use them in.  :confused:
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
Here's an email list of some of the main players in this travesty:

[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],

After the contemptible treatment Ron and company received at the committee/public meeting, these folks might benefit from some feedback.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2008, 11:43:00 AM »
Huge e-mail sent to Granholm about 5 minutes ago!!
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2008, 05:26:00 PM »
Michigan bow hunters I’m deeply sadden for your loss.....stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline Junction hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »
I understand why people want to use x-bows. It is easy and takes little practice. Now the Detroit want to be hunters can go out drinking and stomp around in our wood messing up the bow season just as they do during gun season.
If hundreds of hunters want to hunt with a x-bow then maybe they can have their own season. After or during gun season. I wonder how many of these hundreds would still want to use an x-bow if it was during gun season.

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2008, 01:45:00 PM »
Let's quite blaming the internet and video games as the reason kids don't want to hunt any more.  Last winter, a young man at my daughters school told me why he doesn't want to hunt as he felt it was "stupid to sit in a tent and watch a pile of carrots" after he successfully shot a deer in this manner on his first and probably last hunt.  To him this type of hunt had no sense of fair chase, adventure or challange, so he saw no point in hunting.  I have never met this young mans family so I can not say what hunting means to his parents.  

We have allowed hunting to be portayed in a manner that shows it has no challange and adventure in the name of easy, sure kills for the sponsers of TV shows to sell product. The  non hunters I have contact with do not view deer hunting as it is practiced in Michigan to be related in any way to fair chase hunting. These non hunters view hunting as shooting deer from an enclosed structure over bait, so they see no difference in what kind of weapon is used.  It will be hard fo find support on limiting crossbows in this environment.  If bow hunters make enough noise, this bill will probably not make it to law.  But expect future attempts until it passes.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2008, 02:43:00 PM »
Last Arrow, I find that I am in agreement with you on most of what you have stated,  I don't think that blame is where we should be looking until we can eliminate this threat.

We have seen these types of legislative "Terrorisum from time to time.  I grew up in Michigan, nearing retirement, I have just changed my mind about moving back there.  

Tell me gentlemen, what can I do to assist you in this fight.  How could this have slipped under the radar?  Stealth legislation?
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Scott J. Williams:
Last Arrow, I find that I am in agreement with you on most of what you have stated,  I don't think that blame is where we should be looking until we can eliminate this threat.

We have seen these types of legislative "Terrorisum from time to time.  I grew up in Michigan, nearing retirement, I have just changed my mind about moving back there.  

Tell me gentlemen, what can I do to assist you in this fight.  How could this have slipped under the radar?  Stealth legislation?
Scott, if you have friends and family in Michigan, please urge them to contact their state Rep and ask them to vote NO on HB 5741. That would be a great help.
This didn't slip under the radar, we knew it was a matter of time before the crossbow manufacturers found another Politician that would be willing to play dirty politics. What was somewhat of a suprise was how easily Rep Sheltrown was able to change the wording from "69 and older" to "everyone" at the last minute and he showed up with 3 clowns to put on a power point presentation to sell it to the gullible politicians on his Committee.
The anti-hunters claim that they will use the ballot box and political arena to end hunting and trapping and this is what the crossbow guys are doing, same exact technique.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2008, 03:06:00 PM »
Last Arrow, I too agree with most of your post, but  I have first-hand experience with a lot of kids, and it's often a tough sell to get them off the multi-media teat.

Here's what passed today in the Michigan House. 94-15. It's only the opening salvo. Don't let it get you down, as there is some extremely compelling information, a bombshell actually, that will create some considerable embarrassment if not job loss, for one or more criminally dishonest legislators. In the meantime Sheltrowns co sponsors are jumping off his bandwagon in droves. 15 or so, so far. Wise decision on the part of those who are abandoning this terrible injustice.

ALLOW THE USE OF CROSSBOWS

IN ALL MICHIGAN GAME SEASONS

House Bill 5741 (Substitute H-2)

Sponsor:  Rep. Joel Sheltrown

Committee:  Tourism, Outdoor Recreation and Natural Resources

First Analysis (6-19-08)

BRIEF SUMMARY:  The bill would allow crossbows to be used by anyone during any open season for any type of game inMichigan, thereby eliminating the current process by which permanently disabled hunters may hunt with crossbows during the archery deer season only with a permit.  (Crossbows may already be used by any hunter, disabled or otherwise, during the firearms deer hunting season.)  The bill would allow anyone to use a crossbow during any open game season for any type of game so long as they have a license for that game under Part 435 and comply with all other rules.  On the other hand, hunters would still need a permit to use a modified traditional bow, but would be allowed, under the bill, to use a modified bow that could be shot with one arm or one foot.

FISCAL IMPACT:  The bill would have an indeterminate fiscal impact on the Game and Fish Protection Fund.  The amount of additional revenue would be dependent on the number of new archery licensees.  

THE APPARENT PROBLEM:

Some say that the numbers of archery hunters inMichigan are declining and the process by which disabled persons obtain a permit to hunt with a crossbow during the archery deer seasons is too difficult and expensive.  Supporters point to some other states such asOhio that have opened up archery deer seasons to crossbows without any apparent problems.  Supporters would likeMichigan to likewise allow anyone to use a crossbow during any open game season as a way of retaining and recruiting hunters, promoting equipment sales, and making things easier for disabled persons who cannot hunt with traditional archery equipment but find the permitting process for modified equipment to be difficult.

THE CONTENT OF THEBILL:

The bill would add a new Section 40115 to the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act to allow a person to take game with a crossbow during any open hunting season in Michigan if the person holds a license to take the game issued under Part 435 and complies with all other laws and rules for the taking of that game.  It would eliminate a reference concerning the issuance of permits to permanently disabled persons to use crossbows, as such permits would no longer be needed.

A permit would still be required, however, to use a modified bow during an archery season, but the bill would allow the use of modified bows that could be shot with one arm or one foot.  (New language in italics.)

ARGUMENTS:

For:

Currently, only those individuals who are permanently disabled can use a crossbow during the archery deer season.  Some say that only the most severely disabled meet the criteria.  Others do not qualify, but still are physically unable to pull or hold a more traditional bow.  Moreover, to prove that they have a right to use a crossbow during archery season, a disabled individual must go to the expense, inconvenience, and invasion of privacy involved in getting a physical therapist or doctor to evaluate and certify the extent of his or her disabilities.  Why make it so difficult?  Why not just let anyone who wants to hunt during archery season choose the equipment that best suits their needs, whether a traditional bow, a compound bow, a crossbow, or a bow that has been modified in some way to accommodate the hunter's physical limitations?  This would make the sport more open to all—men and women, young and old, disabled and not—without requiring disabled persons to prove the extent of their limitations in order to have the privilege of using this type of weapon during an archery season.  

Michigan has no shortage of deer and is in no danger of having its deer population decimated by allowing the use of crossbows during deer hunting season.  In fact, allowing the use of more powerful and easier to use weapons may help control the overpopulation of deer that exists in many areas.

Opening up archery seasons to crossbows will help with hunter recruitment and retention and provide an economic boost toMichigan by potentially expanding the numbers of hunters fromMichigan and other states and by spurring sales of crossbow equipment and related gear.  (The sponsor's office indicated it was not aware of any crossbow manufacturers currently located inMichigan, so any economic boost from the bill would be to retailers and from increased hunting-related tourism dollars.)    

An increase in the sales of archery equipment and components could result in more federal excise sales tax dollars being funneled toMichigan'sDNR under the federal Pittman-Robertson Act, which distributes excise tax dollars to state wildlife agencies under a federal formula.  To the extent that wider use of crossbows led to an increase in the number of hunters, there could be a potential increase in license revenue to theDNR.

Against:

The Natural Resources Council should be making this decision, not the Legislature, under Proposal G, passed in 1996, through which the public chose to entrust the Natural Resources Council with the authority to regulate hunting.  

An NRC Crossbow Disability Work Group has been meeting monthly since March of this year.  The recommendations of the NRC workgroup would be a better place to start rather this more hastily developed and broader approach.  The legitimate rights of the disabled can be accommodated without opening all archery hunting seasons to hunting with crossbows.

Allowing crossbows to be widely used in all game seasons will sooner or later have an impact on the deer population and lead to adjustments of the seasons or bag limits.  There will be fewer deer available during the firearms season if many hunters who have hunted with firearms in the past obtain a crossbow to hunt earlier in the fall when temperatures are warmer, conditions are easier, and deer more plentiful.  The bill will not recruit or retain new bow hunters but instead will encourage existing firearms hunters to migrate to the bow season.  This could eventually end the traditional bow hunting season.

Traditional bow hunters say that the reason that they have a relatively long season is that it is difficult to be successful as a bow hunter, particularly a novice bow hunter.  Bow hunting requires different skills than does hunting with a firearm or a crossbow.  To be successful, a bow hunter must get very close to unaware prey and pull back on the bow without alerting the animal.  To allow crossbow hunting with a trigger-operated weapon with a longer range with no pull back required is to fundamentally change the nature of archery hunting.  While traditional bow hunters do not oppose allowing those with disabilities to use crossbows or modified bows that more closely resemble traditional archery equipment, they do not welcome allowing the general public to hunt during bow seasons with equipment that they do not consider to be archery equipment or that does not require traditional archery skills to use.

Given the significant change being made by this bill to a traditional hunting activity of long standing, it would be prudent to take time and care in exploring the ramifications and not rush to act.  Are there safety or game regulation concerns relating to the use of crossbows during game seasons other than the firearms deer season?  What would be the impact on open game seasons other than the archery deer season? Why would we allow an able-bodied hunter to use a crossbow, which presumably confers a greater advantage to the hunter than a modified bow, but still require a disabled person to obtain a permit to use a modified bow?  These questions need careful consideration.

POSITIONS:

The American Crossbow Federation testified in support of the bill.  (6-10-08)

The Department of Natural Resources has concerns about the bill.  (6-19-08)

The Michigan United Conservation Clubs currently has no position on the use of crossbows during the archery deer season but does support the use of crossbows when they do not do not conflict with existing archery seasons.  (6-19-08)

Michigan Bow Hunters is opposed to the bill.  (6-18-08)

The North American Bow Hunting Coalition is opposed to the bill.  (6-10-08)

Legislative Analyst:   Shannan Kane

Fiscal Analyst:   Kirk Lindquist

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2008, 03:13:00 PM »
Thanks for the news Brian.  :)

Offline bc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2008, 03:18:00 PM »
Here's what hunting archers are up against.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2008, 03:49:00 PM »
Here is what I got back from my rep:

Thank you for contacting me regarding House Bill 5741, a bill that would allow an individual to hunt using a crossbow during any hunting season. This will open up the opportunity for disabled hunters and individuals over the age of 69 to be able to hunt with a cross bow during bow season who would otherwise be unable to hunt. Individuals must still obtain the proper license to take game in order to hunt with a crossbow.

There has been lengthy debate within the hunting community regarding the use of crossbows to take game. Some argue this diminishes the skill and integrity of true bow hunting and will have a negative impact on the sport of hunting. However we also need to increase hunter participation numbers in Michigan to help boost our economy and ensure that we have the next generation of hunters.

House Bill 5741 did pass the House of Representatives on June 19th and now goes to the Senate for consideration.

Again, thank you for contacting me regarding this important issue.

It seems to me that my Rep had no idea he was voting to allow crossbows in all seasons.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline bc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »
widoweater, you need to call this person and explain to him the nuances that make his un informed opinion very dangerous.

Feel free to use any part or all of the following, or use it to help you write your own personal message:

Dear Legislators,

I came to this party late. (I thought we put this to bed in a bi-partisan why 8 years ago!) So now I understand you folks in particular have already stuck a stake in the ground on this crossbow thing. But I would humbly ask you to borrow some wisdom from ol' Abe Lincoln, and reconsider the irreparable damage that will be done to our bow and arrow hunting culture. As you probably already know, "Abraham Lincoln was famous for changing his mind as enlightening information became available -- and that's why he was a giant, and why we still love him for it to this day. "

Like the plains Indian cultures our forefathers destroyed, what you propose to do will, in time, eradicate the institution and historical knowledge and traditions that have served our bow and arrow hunting culture so well for so many generations.

The crossbow lobbyists like to point out that archers have an "emotional response." Well, emotion is the driving force that enforces the fair chase ethics and regulations that affect: bow and arrow hunting (no crossbows or poison arrows),  fly fishing (no bait or snagging), and waterfowl hunting (3 shell limit-why? When you kill your limit, you're done, regardless how many shells are in your gun), trapping (nearly all trapping regs are emotional in scope - click here for proof), etc...

All of these sporting environments have fair chase limitations based on human emotion.
I mean, why can't we use a "jack light" at night to hunt deer? It certainly would afford more opportunities for inclusion. As would snagging for salmon, or walleyes, or spawning northern pike, or spear gunning for brown trout rising to the hatch. Think of the increase in license sales if wet-suited spear gunners could snorkel our blue ribbon trout streams? Why not?

Emotion, which translates as the love for and dedication to stewarding the aesthetic aspects of killing animals is what separates user groups from the we-could-care-less killer mentality of weapons arms dealers. Lobbyists.
I know you all "get it" by now. Please don't stubbornly hold on to dry stats that can be, and are, manipulated by lobbyists and those who are not stake holders in the archery hunting environment.

8 years ago, we got to together and wrote a very liberal and inclusive piece of law that cleared the way for special needs archery hunters to use crossbows. If you "truly" believe that it's worth your and Michiganders' time and tax money to scuttle our worthy efforts while substantive issues languish, then it would be nice if you would clarify for the public in general, your new found interest in this already watered grass.

I understand the dynamics of how people can really dig in and not budge on their opinion, but Joel Sheltrown's talking points (coincidentally the same talking points the crossbow lobbyists have been deluging our politicians with) are in fact porous and quite refutable when assessed by someone without an agenda.

From the internet, the best line item refutation of Sheltrowns crossbow lobby talking points I've read:

•Per Rep. Joel Sheltrown:

•"Over the past decade, the number of archery deer hunters in our state has declined from 380,000 to 300,000."

How many gun hunters have we lost?

Shouldn't the state of MI be more concerned with the losses incurred by it's most efficient and numerous segment of hunters?

•"Michigan continues to lose hunters at a rate higher than the national average."

Every state is losing hunters, even crossbow states.

What's the national average? OH has lost almost 30% of it's hunter base since 1990.

The crossbow certainly hasn't helped our neighbor.

•"Data from states allowing full inclusion show a greater rate of hunter retention during their archery seasons but no state has experienced an explosion of crossbow hunters."

This is a blatant mis-representation of fact.

Hunter retention (is) in "archery" season while hunter numbers decline in every other area and season.

Crossbow growth is 17 times greater than vertical bowhunter growth in OH. I believe 66% of Ohio hunters use a crossbow in "archery" season.

(you were conveniently not informed of the devastating effect of the Wall Mart crossbow Tsunami on the small business -- mom and pop archery shops in Ohio -- they are gone, thanks to crossbow replacing vertical bows in Ohio's archery season.)

•"No state allowing full inclusion has found it necessary to restrict season length to address a negative management impact."

Why would they? Biologists control bag limits, they don't care if the deer were killed by a hand grenade, just as long as the deer kill matches their harvest models and goals.

This is very important for you legislators to get your collective heads around: Let's talk revenue, do some research. First license revenue, the only segment that is going to take advantage of this "opportunity" are hunters that are already buying licenses and hunting. With MI's combo-tag system, the crossbow revenue generator is a wash, no impact what so ever.

Their is no evidence that the crossbow alone recruits NEW hunters or retains hunters, NONE, ZERO, ZILCH.

Second, a 1-2 year increase in crossbow sales? Come on, no long term solution there. Especially when these guys realize that the crossbow isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Then what? We'll be right back in the same place very, very shortly.

Is it worth changing the essence and dynamics of this season for ones that already make the CHOICE to participate in this OPPORTUNITY for an extremely short term band aid and the desires of the few that benefit from the inclusion of an entirely different weapon in a long established season?

The crossbow does none of the things they claim it will, NONE.

The crossbow pushers are misrepresenting opinion, estimates, surveys, and "logical conclusions" that are based on incomplete data.
EOM

Thanks for your diligent consideration.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2008, 10:35:00 PM »
Im still trying.  Sent another message to hopefully get word spread round.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Clem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
I just wanted to let fellow tradgangers know this. I wrote my state rep. Steven Lindberg. He e-mailed me today saying that he did not vote for this legislation.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2008, 09:04:00 AM »
Its headed for the Senate fellas, time to go to work on your Senator!

Eric

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©