INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: look out for angry hikers  (Read 1839 times)

Offline OsageBowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
look out for angry hikers
« on: September 05, 2008, 01:13:00 AM »
I would like to share a short Arkansas hunting story with you... For the last three years my children and I and a small group of friends and their kids have been utilizing the woods of White Rock WMA on east Fly Gap about a hundred yards or so from the Ozark Highlands Trail head parking as base camp for what has become our annual special youth modern gun deer/bear camp(all us adults use self bows). Every year we have encountered a different group of not so polite day hikers who drive right into the center of our camp and unload several vehicles full of young children (the last time it was 2 x-cab trucks & 2 sedans 6 adults, approx 9 children) dressed in white T-shirts, kaki shorts and blue jeans, Even though the marked trail head parking area is just around the corner less than a few hundred yards away empty of vehicles. We try to point out to them the first weekend in Nov. is the state wide youth Hunting weekend, and during the youth hunt, the only people in the woods with guns are young children the oldest of which may be unattended, and have offered on each occasion to provide free Hunter Orange vests for their protection, to which they respond curtly “We are not hunters so we don’t need them, besides it is illegal to hunt on the Highlands trail.” Well we could all see these people would have none of our assistance and each time we do not engage them in debate on the that fact we were in fact in a WMA funded by the purchase of hunting and fishing licenses & AGFC fines and as valid license holders had right of way, rather each time we let them go on their way and prayed for them, But this last time my 12 year old daughter was standing next to me and asked “why are they always so rude.” and I told her “a lot of people don’t like us because we hunt.” And as we continued our conversation it struck us…Perhaps we can find some common ground between hunters and hikers and extend the hand of friendship and unity as outdoor enthusiasts...any one have any Ideas on a kind and christian way to deal with these people?
Our 2nd amendment rights do not begin or end with firearms & "shall not be infringed" reasonably or not! They are coming for your Bows, Knives, & Pointy sticks next

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: look out for angry hikers
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 01:50:00 AM »
Don't know the rules there.  In Pennsylvania on state game lands which are funded by hunters, hikers still can use the land during hunting season and no one has priority over the other.  People not hunting don't have to wear fluorescent orange, to the best of my knowledge.  Most people opt to not be there during the rifle season for their own safety.  I've always felt that hunters should have priority, but that is not the way that it is.  They also don't allow hunting on sundays.  Ridiculous.  If the non-hunters want a day so that they can feel safe in the woods that we hunters paid for, let them have it during the week. Most people that hunt also work during the week and that leave's only saturday to hunt.  As far as dealing with them in a polite way.  No suggestions.  Just do your best.  I would inform them that they are incorrect in their assumption that you are not allowed to hunt if that is the case.

Offline Clinglish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 01:55:00 AM »
Even if you could talk them around the effects are short lived. Close minded people are always the same. Maybe your parks wardens need to be on hand to protect these people from their own ignorance.
I love Bowhunting!!!!
Hunting for Bows that is   ;)

Offline bihunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 03:00:00 AM »
I've told people like that that they might be right. We probably ought to just let the wildlife either out graze themselves so that they can starve to death slowly or because the population of deer especially is growing, maybe it would be better to let them get smushed by cars & trucks. Besides, who do we think we are doing something legal Anti hunters are uneducated & usually very arragent. Most of thesd people smoked too much dope back in the 60's

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 07:01:00 AM »
I live in PA and hunt a lot - I like the no hunting Sundays. There is nothing ridiculous about it.

But the main driving force behind keeping the law as is, is not anti-hunters - its rural landowners. Talk to a State Rep from western PA where we love to hunt so much that we cancel school on the first day of Buck Season. They will tell you the majority of constituents dont want hunting on Sundays.
The biggest group in favor of Sunday hunting seems to be guys who go hunting in camps on the week end - not local residents.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 07:20:00 AM »
Offer them some jerky for the trail.  Make sure it is venison.

Offer them understanding of their choice for use of the outdoors and wish them a good day.

Vote for the GOP with a VP that knows us and can help.  Just last night I herd Anderson Cooper refer to Moose Hunting as "cool".  I about fell out of my chair.
"I'm going to find my direction magnetically. " Eddie Vedder

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 08:39:00 AM »
No offense Dartwick, but I hunted for almost 30 years in Pennsylvania with alot of different people.  Almost all of them wished that they could hunt on sunday.  Local residents included.  Your local State Rep is less concerned with the hunters view than that of the general population in that regard and probably not looking to change a longstanding policy.  There is no sound biological principle at stake here.  On land that is paid for by hunters, they should be able to use it on what for most is one of only 2 days of the week off.

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 08:51:00 AM »
I'm with Dartwick on the no hunting on sunday thing in PA... I like it. I've hunted here for 20 years and most of the people I hunt with would agree. There's a few here and there that want Sunday hunting. That's not what this post is about. I'm not sure how to share the woods. I guess it would be nice if both parties could be somewhat polite and reasonable about it. Probably a hard thing to do at times b/c I know my self I would be upset.
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 08:54:00 AM »
Your right.  I'll continue with PM.

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »
Osagebowyer, I think you handled it the right way. We should be polite. It's a shame that we don't recieve politeness in return. If everyone pays tax dollars that helps fund the land (which I find it hard to believe that NO tax dollars are used for public hunting land and it's only funded by liscence fees and such, I'm the first to admit I haven't researched this so I DON'T know) but how can you say one group has more right to use it than another. I think we as hunters in to take the high road w/ being courtious b/c we already get enough of a bad rap. I think of the "genlteman" thing that my friend Monty read at the last PBS banquet and how there are so few "gentlemen" today. To be respect you have to give respect... too bad it doesn't work that way. I wish I could help you out more OsageBowyer but I don't know myself
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 01:04:00 PM »
PA stickbow boy, since you don't know I'll help you out.

In 1919, the Game Commission was granted authority to purchase lands for the protection, propagation and management of game and wildlife, and to provide areas for public hunting and trapping. Since that time, the GameCommission has acquired more than 1.4 million acres in 65 of the state's 67counties (Philadelphia and Delaware counties being the exceptions).

With few exceptions, State Game Lands were purchased using revenues fromhunting and furtaker license sales; State Game Lands timber, coal, oil, gasand mineral operation revenues; the state's share of a federal excise tax on sporting arms and ammunition, known as the Pittman-Robertson Program; from Working Together for Wildlife artwork and patch sales; and from the Pennsylvania Waterfowl Management stamp and print sales.

The information can be found at numerous places, but this is an easy one to find.   http://www.ibtimes.com/prnews/20080902/pa-game-land-tours.htm

Offline OsageBowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »
Well as I paruse my new hunting reg booklet I can see I may have been wrong about right of way, as it states only during permit hunts are camping areas restricted to permit holders in AR WMAs
But for me the main issue is satfey the Orange is not for the Hunter so much as it is for the unfortunate soul who may find him or her self down range of said hunter and if hunters were all slobs as local trail guide author Tim Ernst describes us, alot more hikers would be killed every year(it's been some time since a hunter has mistaken a hiker for game in AR)and if all hikers were such exellent stewards of the enviornment we wouldn't have to carry so many extra trash bags to camp every year.
PS most weeks in the fall and winter sunday is the only day I have to hunt before and after church.
Our 2nd amendment rights do not begin or end with firearms & "shall not be infringed" reasonably or not! They are coming for your Bows, Knives, & Pointy sticks next

Offline Reg Darling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 05:52:00 PM »
Smile and move on.
Osage: it's not just the 2nd Amendment--the 9th matters  too...

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Reg Darling:
Osage: it's not just the 2nd Amendment--the 9th matters  too...
What a vague response  The 9th is a poorly understood amendment, even by the judiciary branch.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 06:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by pdk25:
What a vague response  The 9th is a poorly understood amendment, even by the judiciary branch.
That came across as harsh.  Sorry.  Just didn't understand what was referred to.

Offline Reg Darling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 08:10:00 PM »
The subtext of the 9th is that fundamental rights are held by the people by virtue of being human not granted to them by governmental authority--tends to make all three branches of government squirm a bit.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 11:08:00 PM »
The founders were wise... Rights held by a human being cannot be violated. The founders knew that if a "list" of rights were ever penned some fool in the future would say that because a specific right was not listed "it" could not be protected.

What a country!!!

I say be a role model for the hikers. Lead by example, esp. in front of children.  

JDSIII
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline EDW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 08:57:00 AM »
In Michigan I've come across a lot non hunting types that don't like to see hunters on public lands. I just ignore them mostly anymore. Trying to convince them of anything is a waste. As for no hunting Sunday's it's a dumb idea.It discriminates against people that may only have a Sunday to hunt. I was in that postion some years back-my job had a 6 day work week and Saturday afternoons and Sundays were my only time. Thankfully I was able to at least enjoy that one day.
EDW

Offline novahunterpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »
I do most of my hunting on public land here in pa.
State forests, state parks,a small area off PP&l land open to hunting, and the game lands.  I prefer the game land's , it was bought and payed for by us hunter's and i feel comfortable hunting there.  On the other lands, espicaly in the early seasons i run into hikers and other non-hunters, who give me dirty looks, act scared that im there or in a few cases started to yell at me and tell me i should not hunt and i dont belong here. On a few occasions even the DCNR (the park ranges) on the state land have questiond me about why im hunting there,  In one case i was duck hunting on state forest and some one called the DCNR they watited in the parking lot then told me i should not be here this time of year it would be better for me to go down the road to the game lands (even though i have a rite to be there and i told them so) I still hunt the state forest's ect, but i just feel more comfortable hunting in the game lands, others may use them but, I feel they are ther for us hunters and i belong there.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©