INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: NRA supports crossbow use in archery seasons  (Read 5460 times)

Offline Tom D

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NRA supports crossbow use in archery seasons
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »
North American Bowhunting Coalition has made a statement on Crossbows as well as Pope & Young.

Comptons and many State and National groups belong to this Coalition.

I have had a confirmation from NRA-ILA that they are supporting this due to increasing "hunter opportunities". We have had a few e-mails and I'm not finished sharing information with them yet. I feel they have been sold on some false information from thier replies.

I don't think most of the group on PowWow even looks at this forum or knows about this issue? Either that or they don't care?

TomD

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 11:48:00 AM »
Here's the link re PA   http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=4304  

WV Tradbow -- The choice is between what NRA is attempting to do right in your backyard right now ... and speculation on what the Feds might, or might not, do. Most of the paranoia spread by NRA and USSA never comes to pass ... it's how they keep their membership base and bank account ... fear. I'll fight the enemy at hand every time before being turned back by a "maybe someday" threat.

Offline tukudu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2009, 01:25:00 PM »
Dave, We have been fighting this crossbow issue in PA forever, holding them off year by year. Now steps in the NRA. Another threat along with the crossbow lobbyist. If this happens it will lead further to the decimation of our deer herd and bowhunting in PA as we know it. It is all ready happening in the eastern part of the state.
"Brothers of the flaming arrow"

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2009, 02:03:00 PM »
It's already a done deal in PA.  They are having their final vote on it next week in Harrisburg and when they prliminarily vote something in they 99.99% of the time never back it out.  2009 will allow crossbows in archery season, mark my words.  They are raining the cost of hunting license each year for the next 3 and they know they need to give something each year in order to keep people coming back so this year will be crossbows and I predict next year will be in-lines in the traditional flintlock season.

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »
I'm a life member and there are many reasons to belong, and maybe more so with the current Democratic stranglehold on the Executive/Legislative branches.  There's no telling where our 2nd Amendment/Hunting rights would be without them in our corner all these years.

However, I have real problems with the NRA taking a stand to add guns (or crossbows) to previously bow seasons, etc.  This is something that I believe the NRA may take a second look at if they hear from enough of us bowhunters who also belong to the NRA.  I sure plan to let them know my feelings.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Sawtooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
I'm a member also, but I often find myself asking the question "why?".  This fear mongering goes on with the NRA often.  They do it with roadless and wilderness issues, too.  They hear from me on a regular basis.  So far the ILA has never even acknowledged that I have written to them.
"Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala
  Sihote'-Alin Range, Ussuria,  

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »
I,m a NRA member and I don,t agree with some of the things they do, I do strongly feel without them we can kiss all hunting and rights to keep arms goodbye, We need them more now than ever, which also means they need to know how the people feel.

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
For those of you who haven't seen it ... here is the future of "bowhunting"!    

Indeed, out here too. NRA teamed with the Blue Ribbon Coalition (national off-road motor coalition) to block wilderness designation to some essential wildlife habitat called Brown's Canyon, which hardly any ATV types ever use. Life members are dropping off in huge numbers. The group seems suicidal. Check the ads in their magazines for some clues as to their strange bedfellows. Nothing is what it appears to be any more, geeze. dave

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2009, 04:25:00 PM »
If you go back to the first or second post here, you can get to the NRA-ILA page and up at the top find a spot to contact them.  I did, and this is what I'm sending them.  My feeling is we should be urging all bowhunter/NRA types we know to do the same.  My quick letter is as follows:

NRA--
Increasing hunter opportunities is one thing I would presume most of us could agree on, but fighting to do so by adding crossbows to archery-only seasons (or rifles to shotgun-only areas) is an action that will result in your losing support from many of us hunters.

I am a LIFE MEMBER of the NRA, as well as a teacher and part-time outdoor writer who has written over 300 weekly columns (and been published about 40 times in national magazines), often trashing opponents of the NRA and proudly advancing NRA's positions.  However, this recent action where the NRA is trying to ram crossbows down the throat of PA bowhunters is ill-advised and wrong-headed.  

The NRA needs to pick their battles with anti-2nd Amendment opponents, not begin squabbles with other hunters who are largely on your side (as I usually am).  This type of strategy will divide NRA members, pit them against each other, and in the case of many, cause them to drop their NRA membership and denounce you.  

I sincerely hope you will rethink this aggressive action trying to ram additional weapons into a special weapons season.  You will not only lose me as a member if this continues, but I predict thousands of others will drop too, and I will also be forced to reveal and attack this action in my outdoor writing.

I have always stood steadfastly for the NRA, but I believe you are making a SERIOUS mistake or miscalculation in this case.  The NRA is being trashed on at least one hunter website I frequent because of this and I'm hard-pressed to come up with reasons to disagree with them on this issue.  Several have indicated they've contacted NRA-ILA but never been acknowledged; that is also a great way to doom future membership retention.

I am not anti-crossbow; I AM against crossbows in existing BOWhunting seasons.  I am certainly not anti-gun either; I AM against adding guns to existing BOWhunting seasons.

Thanks for listening and I look forward to a response.

Sincerely,
Bryce Lambley
LIFE MEMBER
Fremont, NE

Offline Sawtooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
Nice letter, Bryce.  Mine was a little more blunt.  I hope we hear from them.
"Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala
  Sihote'-Alin Range, Ussuria,  

Offline Problem Child

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »
Here is the NRA's response to an email that I sent......
"Dear Mr.XXXXXXXXX,

Please understand that NRA-ILA has one guiding principle with regard to
positions on hunting-related proposals -- expansion of hunting opportunities
will be supported as long as there is no biological reason to oppose them.  This
is especially true when there is overwhelming evidence showing that the proposed
expansions help to recruit and retain hunters.  

Sincerely,

Krista Cupp
NRA-ILA Grassroots Division
"Right Wing Extremists"....has a nice ring to it don't it?

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
I dropped my membership to the NRA several years ago and will never renew it!! (nut)
Rich Potter

Offline Tom D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2009, 06:16:00 PM »
Your letter from Krista says the same as the reply I had. A standard form I guess? The next 3 replies were along the same lines and after I asked for someone higher up the food chains information, I have heard nothing.
  I think I have some of that info somewhere? I have met some of those people at some campaign events, now to find it??

TomD

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2009, 06:59:00 PM »
BTW there is no crossgun made that will hold one hole groups at 100yds or even 50yds. (nut)
Rich Potter

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2009, 07:52:00 PM »
I got the standard 'we are for creating more opportunity where biologically reponsible' reply. I suppose that means they will kiss bowhunting goodbye when the resource can stand a full gun season impact.

With heavy heart, I will suspend a 25 year relationship with the NRA. I don't like doing it as I've always supported them fully. I haven't hunted with a firearm in over 20 years...but I support them in their second amendment rights as I want to protect all forms of hunting for everyone to enjoy...just not bowhunters.

Yet the fact remains that I unselfishly supported their positions to protect firearms and they on the other hand took a position to back stab my favorite season and prefered weapon.

I just can't let it go. It's not fair. Bow seasons are entitled to exist if just for no other reason than people want them. Hunters are customers that buy a product as packaged by the state. Don't package it in away that they like, and they don't buy it.

Does that make sense?
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
remember folks - this scam about "creating" hunting opportunity if biologically supportable is pure BS! The west virginia bow zone had no deer because gun hunters wiped them out - the ONLY way to give deer a chance was to creat a 4 county area that is bow only - been running around 30 years - locals have been raised on it and know what they have and value it - I have a 15 year investment in time and spirit. This area is about 90% open to ANYONE who is willing to work at it and hunt hard - With A Bow. It is thriving with big healthy deer - that (some) gun hunters would like to steal. The NRA is looking for easy battles to win to appear relavent. I am 100% opposed to any group that attacks bowhunting.
<>< <---------------------<<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Schultzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2009, 12:51:00 AM »
You think these xbows are advanced now, you just wait!! Look at how the compound took off, the xbow will be worse and the tradition In bow hunting will slowly disappear as it's doing already. Shame on the NRA!! I can just about gaurantee It's all about money.

Offline sdpeb1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2009, 03:47:00 AM »
So as I scanned the post here on the NRA pushing the legalization of xbows I asked myself why would they involve themselves in this? Makes no sense to me. I hate xbows unless for the use by people who are handicapped or because of age cannot use a bow anymore. All the rest should  use a bow, heck if you cant take the little time to get good with a compound then stay out of the woods. If you want take shots at deer out past 40 yards then use them during gun hunting only. The whole idea of hunting with a bow is being good enough(or lucky)to get close to the animal your hunting. That's the whole experience of bowhunting, if you take that away it's not really fitting the definition. I feel the same way about the new muzzle loaders too. Give me a break,why don't they just call it a single shot weapon season for crying out loud. I wish I were King, I'd alow bowhunting and traditional muzzle loader to hunt year around and give the rest of the hunters a two week season-lol

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2009, 11:34:00 AM »
Cory may be on to something when he wonders if NRA's position here may be to chalk up an easy win.  The last several years haven't gone so well with NRA-endorsed candidates not faring well in national elections.  I don't think that's the NRA's fault, but it could make the NRA want to pad their record and seem more "relevant" as Cory stated.    

In this day and age of deer populations skyrocketing, biology could tell us that guns of all types should be added to our current archery seasons.  Under the NRA's blanket statement, that would mean the NRA would support such moves.  It's a poorly-thought out position to begin with, and takes the NRA into new territory where it really doesn't belong (protect the 2nd Amendment, darn it!), and one taken in total disregard to how so many of us bowhunters (who are equally pro-2nd Amendment) feel.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »
Bows are part of the Second Amendment so as we're clear. It is the right to bear arms(not firearms) and in the state of Illinois bows are considered a weapon as with some other states. While I do now agree with the NRAs position on crossbows or in altering existing archery seasons to allow firearm use during them by any means(I have voiced this opinion with them also as a member) don't totally alienate yourself from them as we will need them down the road I fear. A "League for the Protection of Bowhunting" would be a wonderful thing, with bows defined as Recurve, Longbow, Selfbow and Compound (we would need the numbers they bring). I have been considering starting such a group as for I see a serious need as our paths diverge further from DNR "wants and needs" as well as current political winds.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©