INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Does the money from hunting go back  (Read 1526 times)

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Does the money from hunting go back
« on: January 23, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »
I was just wondering if the funds from your hunting and fishing tags go back into a hunting fund for the state ? Ours here in Washington go into a general fund and can sometimes be used for other state projects besides fish and game.Just wondering how many sates have general funds like Wa. ? bd

Offline MYSTIKBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Does the money from hunting go back
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
I believe that here in NY, the governor and state legislators cannot get there grubby little hands on any of the monies generated from fishing and hunting tags,stamps and etc. All that money goes into a seperate fund.  
 Once many years ago then, Gov. Como, tried to have both the fish and game fund and the general fund combined. BOY, did we raise hell over that!
Needless to say he lost that CRAP shoot!!  LOL
I reckon so

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
You lose Federal Funds if you divert the money to anything else.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »
What bothers me about the excise taxes levied and the hunting/fishing/trapping license fee usage is that is also goes to maintain boat launches, ATV trails, hiking trails, bird watching areas, etc...  Most of the people who use these areas are not hunters, fishermen, or trappers.  Here in NY, most despise hunting and firearm ownership., and most support the liberal-democratic agenda of banning firerms and hunting.  So these folks who utilize what our monies fund actully don't like us, get a free ride, and try to push legislation to end our lifestyle.  This is why eveyone needs to get involved, to get a politicians ear, and let them know who you are and where you stand.  Remind them that YOU vote also, and that their job is because of getting elected.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 10:19:00 AM »
Thats the problem with ours we did lose some federal funding for the Mt.StHelens elk heard over our general funding.I can see where when we do not get involed as mentioned above BOY did we raise hell over that ? we here did not raise hell over that and man oh man did we ever lose the crap shoot as hunters.I guess to some point it all kind of washes so to speak.Also as mentioned above our funds also go to maintain trails and lake shores things everyone uses.Maybe it works out sometimes.This would help answer the question about some states do have general funding and some don't.Interesting to say the least.bd

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 06:11:00 PM »
i believe in AR ours go back to the game and fish. some maybe used in education projects of the game and fish (not the schools). while i believe they get it all i dont think it all goes to habitat or surveys.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »
It seems that about 90% of ours is returned to the F&W department.A certin amount also goes toward the schools and programs to teach about wildlife..bd

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 11:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by Al Dente:
Here in NY, most despise hunting and firearm ownership.
You must be from downstate  ;)
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 01:03:00 PM »
A few programs are good however you are correct about some getting thier fingers in the pie to use againest us,via our own programs on fish&wildlife.Some of the little fellows we teach about fish and wildlife will not grow up to be hunters or fishermen.But the money to fund the little fellows classes came from fishing and hunting lic...bd

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 11:13:00 PM »
I think there are two seperate issues here.  

1.  Funding from Federal excise tax

2.  Funding from state license and tag sales

I believe 1. has restrictions, but 2.  is purely up to the state.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 11:16:00 PM »
If the money from two isn't used properly the money from one is cut back.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 09:24:00 AM »
Yes they cut several local programs already from F&W or DNR (fed money)and are now looking at cutting park funding as well.bd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©