INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: National Forest  (Read 1384 times)

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
National Forest
« on: February 08, 2009, 01:33:00 PM »
Where does funding for national forest come from?  How can states charge for national forest usage?  Who gets the money from timber sales?
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: National Forest
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
At least part of the timber sales money goes to schools in the affected counties.  I was not aware of any state charging for national forest usage.  Where'd that come from?  

National forest funding comes from the same place all our funding has come from in the last 20 years.  We borrow it.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 09:29:00 AM »
BH at one time some of the money from the timber sales went to our schools here.I'am not certin of how much..bd

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 11:21:00 AM »
I know Mt Baker National Forest requires you to buy a pass.  I don't know who actually gets the money.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
National Forest is Federal. State Forest is State.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
Re: question #3

The Idaho county that I used to live in had approx. 70% government managed land.  The timber sale monies returned to the county were 25% and used for schools and roads.  I don't remember the ratio of split between the two.  This is used to offset the loss of property tax for schools and road repairs due to heavy equipment.

With the loss of timber sales that we have seen in the last fifteen years, PILT was invented by Congress.  (Payment in lieu of Timber or maybe Taxes).  It is not as much money as timber sales and may be expired by now.

By the way, we still conducted Hunter Ed. in the schools, after hours and they still do.  With all that gov't. land, we had a lot of hunters come into the region besides the residents who ranched, logged and lived there.

Ray
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
I work for Smokey but don't know squat about timber. Salable minerals which includes rock, sand & gravel, etc. funds go straight to the US Treasury and I thought that is where timber money went too.  I do know that SOME recreation items like campground fees get returned to the local district.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©