3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: lion tracks  (Read 640 times)

Offline recurvericky

• Trad Bowhunter
lion tracks
« on: January 13, 2008, 07:25:00 PM »
This is a track that a friend of mine found while scouting yesterday around Hillsdale Lake in eastern Kansas. He also found a entire deer leg, minus the meat.

Recurvericky
Richmond, Ks

Traditionalist have more fun!

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: lion tracks
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »
Not sure myself, hard to tell in the pic.  Looks more like a dog to me I could be wrong though

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
Looks like five toe prints? Dogs and cats have only 4; the fifth is the dewclaw, several inches up. I've seen deer and elk prints overlaid that look like something else. Is there scientific evidence of mtn. lions in that area? Whatever, it's all good fun ...

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 08:03:00 PM »
If thats a lion---its a small one. Looks like some sort of dog to me. I think Coyote.

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 08:08:00 PM »
Definately not a lion.That's a coyote track,and it's not very fresh. Maybe 3 days old.   :campfire:

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 08:12:00 PM »
Looks too round to me for a coyote but it's real hard to tell in that ground.

There have been lots of sightings reported throughout Kansas but there has been no hard evidence yet.

You can scoff at me but I have been fortunate to see two here since 1975 and both were within 30 yards of my vehicle, one for about a minute near Big Hill Lake.  I got a very good look at that one.

Dennis

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 08:13:00 PM »
Oh No guys!!!!..... I's Back... The New Jersey Devil!!!!   :scared:

Offline recurvericky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 08:15:00 PM »
If that is a coyote track, it must have been the size of a Great Dane. The track is as big as my friends entire palm. The track only had 4 toes, they were counted by my friend. When compared to Mt. Lion Tracks on the net and coyote tracks it matches the Mt; Lion Tracks. By the way there have been sitings of Mt.Lion in eastern Kansas.
Recurvericky
Richmond, Ks

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 08:17:00 PM »
The track is distorted.It was made in the mud,then froze,and everything has changed shape. It's a coyote track.

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »
Ricky---coyotes can have big feet. And I have to agree with Bill here----that is an old track, so has been distorted by the weather.

Offline recurvericky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
I understand that the weather can distort tracks, but the fact is the track is as big as my friends entire palm, the picture may not show it, but it is. Now that would have to be one monster coyote.
Recurvericky
Richmond, Ks

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
Some 'yotes can be fairly good sized. Killed a 50 pounder last year with my .17

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »
This is a lion track.It's a few days old,it was on a sandy road in the mountains of utah.

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 08:48:00 PM »
This is a lion track.It's a few days old,it was on a sandy road in the mountains of utah.

Freezing and thawing makes tracks look bigger,what you guys are looking at is the out side edges of the track,when in reality,the true measurement is inside the depression of the track.

I wouldn't turn a lion dog loose on it.

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
Bill---I think that track you put up actually looks a lot like the track originally posted. Maybe there IS a lion in Kansas.

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »
Oh no,The Black Dog has returned.
Yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil:for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Psalm 23:4

"Speak softly and carry a big stick. . . . "           President Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2008, 09:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gene Roberts:
Oh no,The Black Dog has returned.
:confused:    :confused:    :confused:

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2008, 09:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by JBiorn:
Bill---I think that track you put up actually looks a lot like the track originally posted. Maybe there IS a lion in Kansas.
I'm not convinced.it could be though.We have lions in West Virginia,but the dnr denies it. My buddy saw one while we were bowhunting the cranberry backcountry,about 74 or so.We talked to the ranger,and he said he saw a pair of them drinking water in the creek.

Anyway,to be really sure we need another track to measure the stride and a lot of other measurements. One thing that I notice now is the lack of claw marks in the print,are they gone from the weather,or were they never there? Hmmm...   :saywhat:    :campfire:

Offline recurvericky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »
Usually when a cat is walking it's claws are retracted, unlike a dog or coyote.
Recurvericky
Richmond, Ks

Offline recurvericky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2008, 10:00:00 PM »
I am originally from NC and have seen three Mt. Lion in NC and not in Zoo's. The First was when I was about 12. We were riding around, my dad and younger brother, looking for dogs from the previous day of deer hunting. We ran dogs alot back then. We spotted something unusual walking across a field. We then realized that it had a very long tail and was very dark. The other times were while deer hunting on a path and the cat walked across slowly. My brother had one sneak up on him along the Roanoke River in eastern NC. The cat disapeared behind a large cypress and my brother could not see it again. He freaked out and left the woods very fast.
Recurvericky
Richmond, Ks

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©