INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Serious issues for archery season in Oklahoma.  (Read 3710 times)

Offline 12ringman

• Trad Bowhunter
Serious issues for archery season in Oklahoma.
« on: December 10, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »
They are wanting to legalize crossbows for Archery Season. Here is a direct quote"Legalize crossbows for archery season? We do not have any biological concerns; would be additional opportunity for people who do not want to use conventional equipment". Not to mention extending the other weapon season to 23 days.  :knothead:  

Fellow Oklahomans there is a meeting in OKC tomorrow night. I urge everyone in the OKC area to voice their opinions. Here is the address.

December 11, 2009, 7 p.m. Oklahoma City – Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation Auditorium, 1801 N. Lincoln Blvd.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Serious issues for archery season in Oklahoma.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
12ring: It pains me to say it but I will be surprised if this isn't a done deal, public meeting or no public meeting.

Non-archery folks don't understand the differences or consider these differences important and non-archery folks are going to decide this.

Offline 12ringman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »
What is really bad is these meetings are not highly publicised and I think it will now cost us more than we know.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 03:19:00 PM »
Got to agree with Lost Arra,  They have already made the decision regardless of what comes out of the meeting.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 03:37:00 PM »
We are experiencing the legalization of the crossbow here in Texas.  The lone star bowhunters and Trad Bowhunters of Texas have fought against this for years.  I really do not understand the decisions of government.  very few in the bowhunting orcommunity want it,but somone can make an extra buck so it gets passed.  This must be fueled by money.  I do not want crossbows in archery season, and many other bowhunters do not want the weapon in archery only season.  

I cannot make a valid argument against crossbows in the general season.  Bowhunting is about choice to make taking the animal more difficult and drawing the bow on an animal.  It is suppossed to be difficult to take animals with a bow.  

Crossbows just do not fit that.  It goes against the historical tradition, spirit, and philosophy of bowhuting roots and the argument for the archery only seasons when they were created.

Just my two cents, fight the good fight.  You might have already lost.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by 12ringman:
"Legalize crossbows for archery season? We do not have any biological concerns; would be additional opportunity for people who do not want to use conventional equipment".
This statement in itself should tell you that it's already done.  I hate to say it but it's little more than a money game for the states and they see the chance to create a larger market.  "[dntthnk]"  

Here in Ohio crossbows are and have been legal in archery season for a number of years.  The reality is the crossbow is not to blame for the bad that comes along with them, it's the idiots behind them that don't understand what they are actually shooting.  It's not the crossbows fault that the people behind it make unethical decisions.  

I actually support making crossbows legal for people that want to hunt during archery season but are physicaly unable, of course that's something different all together.  But, my feelings on this are influenced because my father is such a person.  He has degerative arthritus in his neck and shoulders and is not able to pull a bow back.  If crossbows were illegal then he wouldn't be able to enjoy archery season because of something that he has no control over.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 03:44:00 PM »
In Virginia it is the same situation, first they were allowed for the disabled (which I had no problem with)  but then the game dept. saw $$$ in their eyes and bowed to commercial interests (read manufacturers) so now anyone can use them in archery season just for the price of an additional stamp. Done deal even with public meetings.
 Have no problem with them in gun season but NOT in archery season. Sorry for the rant-still pi**ed off about it.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »
Here in Washington, only the disable hunters can use a crossbow and only those that show the state they cannot shoot a bow.  I support this type of rule that allows those who could not hunt otherwise to archery hunt.  

The idea that a hugely heavy compuond bow set sideways on a rifle stock, and then be allowed to mount a scope is archery hunting is like telling me that a modern muzzleloader is like shooting a flintlock.  Crossbows do not belong in archery seasons!  With the disabled exception of course.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ragnarok Forge:

The idea that a hugely heavy compuond bow set sideways on a rifle stock, and then be allowed to mount a scope is archery hunting is like telling me that a modern muzzleloader is like shooting a flintlock.  Crossbows do not belong in archery seasons!  With the disabled exception of course.
+1

Offline 12ringman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
They allow it for the disabled hunters right now and I am all for it. I just think there will be more "package" hunters in the woods and more accidents. I hope not.
George Washington

Offline shakeyslim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »
cross bows have no more to do with archery than a fire arm, and i think they should be used in firearms season only. now i'll go check my mailbox and see if i got a letter asking --gee Dave what do you think?
 all these things have long been decided before we are ask about them.  :mad:    :mad:    :mad:
a hippie taught me to hunt
i left 1971 way back in 1971

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
They should just allow them during rifle season. I'd hunt with a spear before a crossbow. Of course I'm not disabled. Iff that was the only way I could hunt I guess I'd do it to. I've seen a lot of guys that have a "Dr's note" wink wink.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline 12ringman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by razorsharptokill:
They should just allow them during rifle season. I'd hunt with a spear before a crossbow. Of course I'm not disabled. Iff that was the only way I could hunt I guess I'd do it to. I've seen a lot of guys that have a "Dr's note" wink wink.
Your not lying there brother. I worked for BPS and sold crossbows to people 8-80. One guy could bench press 675# but had the "doctors note"  :readit:  
 This just got moved I hope some of my fellow OK archers see it here.

Robert
George Washington

Offline Northern Whisper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 04:59:00 PM »
It seems that once the foot is in the door it is all over. This issue has been around Michigan. I have no problem with the physically challenged in using adaptive items to be able to hunt. However, this smells like the age old marketing trick to sell products for profit. We went for years without this, why now? What has changed? I think we have become a society that wants convenience, not adventure or God forbid we have to work a little for our needs.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »
Its about immediate gratification; and be able to buy what you want.

Its the same thing with high fence operations; and shooting tame elk in enclosures.
  You have the money- you should be able to do what you want.

Its also like ATVs going where ever they want; if they have the money- they should be able to go where they want.

I was the last guy picked for football; baseball; basketball; you name it. I broke records swimming- but hand eye co-ordination stuff? Nope- I am out.
 So getting good with a bow has been the result of a ton of effort.
 Look at all the threads about arrows not flying right; and which this is the best; and which that is the best; and there are a lot of us that struggle to get good with a traditional bow.

This situation we are in started with cash flow. Fred Bear was behind the two season concept; but he sold his business and became legally bound to support compound bows; which he said nothing nice about. He hated the &$%$(#) things - he told me so.
 But the door was opened to avoid the practice; and now... the door is wide open for those that want proficiency testing and the reasoning that crossbows are easy to master.

Playing the three monkeys is not in my opinion the way to go. It has not worked thus far at all.

It is easier to just sit back and let things happen... but please- lets think about the ramifications of this and fight against it.

While staying a constant existence as traditional bowhunters is big; keeping our mouths closed: is not helping us.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Wolfie2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 08:38:00 AM »
Well guys this is the first year for the Xbows here in jersey. An the guys shooting them are the younger generation for the most part. Their worse than the effing pumpkin bergaid (shot gunners) hunting over piles of corn and driving the hell outta the land I hunt. So if their gonna hunt them like guns why not put it with the shot gun season???? The only up side is that from what I understand its only a 3 year trial here in NJ. So I'm hoping they have a bunch of mishaps and make it a weapon for the disabled only.
We did lost of fighting to keep the Xbows illegal an it got us no where.. So good luck with your state..

Offline Tsalagi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 08:06:00 PM »
Dare I say? I dare. There are a lot of people that think as long as it's "hunting" we have to support it or the evil anti-hunters will win. I tend to think this line of thought is advanced by sporting goods manufacturers who want to sell equipment. Too many advocacy groups are taking money from big manufacturers. And, so, they will come out in support of crossbows. They'd come out in support of RPG-7s, if they were legal to own. And you'd see people, also, saying, "Well, what's the difference between a 20mm Vulcan and a regular rifle?! They're both firearms!"---and lobby for heavy small arms into firearms season, if they thought they could do it and Vulcans were over-the-counter and available. There's guys I heard of using .50BMG sniper rifles and shooting elk further away than anyone with a scoped .300WinMag could hope to hit.

What we have is what I call "season creep". When seasons for muzzleloaders, for example, were established, they were thinking of flintlocks and replica Hawkens and such. Well, learning to shoot those takes practice and, honestly, many Americans are just too dadgum lazy to put in that kind of effort. So, someone with an eye to cashing in--Cha-CHING!---thought up inline muzzeloaders that are basically modern firearms loaded from the front. There! No muss, no fuss, Pyrodex pellets, shotgun primers, and saboted copper-jacketed bullets! And they allow them into the muzzleloader season.

The crossbows they will allow into crossbow seasons are as unrecognizeable even to Medieval crossbows as a Lexus is to a horse-drawn carriage. Scopes, adjustable triggers, the works. This is not archery; this is modern technology masquerading as archery.
Heads Carolina, Tails California...somewhere greener...somewhere warmer...or something soon to that effect...

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 12:19:00 AM »
Tsalagi
        I see it the same way.
Its a wagon full of people trying to do it the hard way but the easiest way possible.
 I believe it is a fad. I think the thrill will wear off.
 I am not sure I will live long enough to see it; but eventually people will tire; and switch to something else.
 But I wonder; what will that be?
I just hope it doesn't involve fat women in spandex...
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline huntindad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 08:28:00 AM »
Brian, you haven't heard about the latest legislation pushing for the fat women in spandex only season?!Not only are they fat they are ugly and hunt only with big sticks they claim to be the purist form of hunter. Tsalagi you once again bring up some very good points the industry is just to big for the greater good of hunting IMO. Season creep is a fitting description of today's hunting atmosphere that has too many that must succeed at all cost in the simplest way possible.We are told that if we don't grow the sport we will lose it but I don't ever remember a time when I shared the woods with more people.I don't know the answers but I wish I did and had the power to change the problem but I don't.. Bill
The days spent hunting cannot be deducted from  the span of your life's time.

Offline Tsalagi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »
I just don't know what happened to a work ethic. Or taking pride in craftsmanship. Knowing woodCRAFT, you know, it's a skill like carpentry. People now want everything instant and easy. They want to buy skill. But take away all their fancy toys, and whaddya got? A guy just like any other shmuck lost in the woods, crapping his pants in fear, and praying for search and rescue.
Heads Carolina, Tails California...somewhere greener...somewhere warmer...or something soon to that effect...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©