INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Most significant threat to hunting?  (Read 12598 times)

Offline Clay Hayes

• Trad Bowhunter
Most significant threat to hunting?
« on: April 26, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »
I posted a question similar to the one below on the hunting legislation forum while back but it got shut down when they renamed the forum.  I’d like to open it up again and get everyone’s thoughts on the issue.

In your opinion, what is the most significant threat to hunting today?  Think big, think hard.    

Since these issues may be vastly different from East to West, please state what part of the country or world you’re from.

ch

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Most significant threat to hunting?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 09:38:00 AM »
Loss of habitat.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »
Ignorant hunters.

I live in NC.

Ignorant hunters, who think there's no way our way of life can be taken from us.....are betting their grandkids heritage.  If we fail to project a positive image of our pursuits (by our selfish; illegal; unethical and greedy actions), our hunting lands will continue to be bought up by people who simply won't allow hunting.  I see it happening, here, a little.  When I was grwoing up.....EVERYONE hunted or let hunters use their property.  Now....not so much.  Why???

We're gonna cut our own throats, if we're not careful......and we'll bleed out, slowly.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 09:44:00 AM »
My friends and I were talking about this just last night. I think the most significant threat is the direction our American society has taken. No longer does every kid have a BB gun and a single shot .22. In a class of students, it is the extreme minority that hunt. Hunting has lost the glamor and excitement for these kids.

It's tough for simple, peaceful hunting to compete with:

Video games
soccer
football
lacrosse
girls
180 channels on cable TV
The extreme demands of grades (try and get a kid into a major state university with a grade point average of less than 4.0)

How many kids outside of our own (those of us here on websites like this) know who Fred Bear was?

How many kids run a trapline? Have their own bow/.22/shotgun? Not many. We are a dying breed.

I know, there are some rural pockets of the country that throw my theory into the mud. But as a whole, in this country, a  kid with a gun or bow draws a police response.

The shrinking of farming communities, the expansion of "yuppies" is ruining our country, let alone diminishing our sport.

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »
I know, there are some rural pockets of the country that throw my theory into the mud. But as a whole, in this country, a kid with a gun or bow draws a police response.
So very sad but true. I can remember when I was in school kids could bring their new gun they got for Christmas to "Show and Tell" and the parking lot in high school was full of pick up trucks and they all had a rifle rack in the rear window and guns in the rack....Try that now days and you will be meeting your local SWAT team and making the evening news.
   "[dntthnk]"
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 10:11:00 AM »
Well said, Roger and Mike. Also, add to this the cost of getting kids into hunting if you have multiple kids. Mainly, I'm referring to hunting licenses and tags. The state game departments preach about getting kids involved in the outdoor sports. Well, if they're serious about it, then let kids hunt and fish free until they're 18 years old. Families on tight budgets just can't afford to spend the money it takes to buy licenses and tags in addition to the equipment, gear, and clothing necessities that it takes to get three kids involved in our sport. The equipment and gear is expensive enough, so let's not make hunting out of reach by requiring kids to have to possess licenses and tags, at least until they're 18.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »
Roger pretty much sums it up there.

I would go so far as to say that even rural areas are not recruiting hunters, at least not in any significant numbers. I would add also, that most of the youngsters that do hunt are shown a much different view of it than what got us this far.

Heated box blinds over a long established bait pile at the end of a quad trail, with a scope sighted .243. I have listened to twelve year old boys talk about passing on "dink" bucks because they weren`t big enough. I don`t know about the rest of you, but I don`t EVER remember a buck too small.

I live in the northeast part of lower Michigan.

For what it`s worth, my kids know broadheads must spin true on an arrow, twenty yards is a long ways, and you don`t set a bloody knife in the leaves,... and that when you eat, something has died.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 10:16:00 AM »
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »
"Progress"
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 10:33:00 AM »
"In-Fighting" based on politics, elitism. Recruitment.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 10:45:00 AM »
Less and less land every year to hunt.  The days of asking permision to hunt private land are just about gone.  I hate to say it but only the wealthy will be hunting, if something does not change.
Horner
What would you attempt to do, if you knew you could not fail?

Never leave the one you love, for the one you like.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »
Loss of habitat has to be a big one, but one I feel is equally lethal is leasing and outfitters.
As more land is leased and brought under the control of outfitters, the more difficult it becomes for young ones to experience the hunting adventure.
If the business grows as much in the future as it has in the last 20 years, hunting will truly become the sport of "Kings" of at least the most affluent.
Few young people will have the opportunity to hunt.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Schultzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
This Is just my opinion.

Just hunting In general I believe It's the hunters themselves. People In general are much more sensitive today then ever before and In my opinion the hunters haven't adjusted to It. The world Is changing and I believe were going to have to change with It some and be damn careful on how we project ourselves as hunters. When hunters are around non hunters, don't be telling the gruesome blood trail story or be showing pictures with blood and tounges hanging out. My dad brought me up like this so doing what I just wrote Isn't an Issue with me but more of a habit then anything. I plan on bringing my daughter up the same way.

I also believe the politicians have a big hand In this too. Like others have said, you have to be damn careful where you have a gun these days. Years ago I use to bring my bow to school and show people that wanted to see It, I'd bet things would be different today If someone would do that.

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »
Here in Montana I think it is loss of access due to many different reasons.
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »
Television

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 11:05:00 AM »
THE RECORD BOOKS.
As soon as we start keeping score,hunting became a sport.Like all sports,w/ competition there is money to be made and once revenue came into play hunting has lost alot of it's purity.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »
b. glass hit the nail on the head.

Man's encroachment into native habitat.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2009, 11:11:00 AM »
Loss of access to hunting grounds.  There are various reasons, however the most dissappointing to me is the huge limited access trend for trophy animals.
When a local kid can't knock on a door and get permission to hunt anymore....what do you expect.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Bmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »
In Michigan we are our own worst enemy.  Too many hunters feel their way is the only way.

The general public listens to the hunters fighting each other saying it's unethical to use trad gear/crossbows/compounds/high-powered, scoped rifles/bait/food plots/blinds/traps/hounds and believes all of us are bad.

Online freeman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2009, 11:16:00 AM »
gross human overpopulation, and the urban way of life and mentality.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©