INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Most significant threat to hunting?  (Read 12596 times)

Offline Mike Spaulding

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Most significant threat to hunting?
« Reply #120 on: December 21, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »
Just my opinion, but I think the biggest threat is the lack of access for the average income guy, for that matter, even guys with upper average incomes are starting to have trouble affording the leasing fees/ranch fees being asked.  In south Florida (where I live), leases are going for 5 grand and up per year!  Not too many average folks who can afford that that I know of!  and yes, we have state land, which is great, but it's a quota based hunt on most wma's, so if you don't hit the lottery that year, your stuck either travelling out of state, or crowding onto the wma's that don't require quota's.  I'm just afraid that if this gets to be the norm, guys will stop buying tags because why bother.  The wealthy are only a small percentage of the hunting population, if they're the only one's left buying tags, then who's left to fight for the right to hunt in the first place?  The anti's aren't going to back down or become less in numbers as far as I can tell.. hunting as recreation will have a hard time fighting for itself and I could see the end of public hunting as we know it, maybe not in my lifetime, but I think certainly my son's.  I hope not.  The hunting industry/media is shooting itself in my opinion.  Sorry for rambling, I just have strong feelings about this.

Offline Tsalagi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: December 21, 2009, 01:48:00 PM »
I completely agree, Mike. Elk tags here are getting beyond the affordability range of people who can't front the cash.
Heads Carolina, Tails California...somewhere greener...somewhere warmer...or something soon to that effect...

Offline Rookie@51

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: December 21, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »
In your opinion, what is the most significant threat to hunting today? Think big, think hard.

I would like to add that in our lifetime we have seen the people of America, the greatest nation in the world, move from farming to city living. In tne 1950's 80% of our population lived or worked on farms and about 20% lived in the citys. That number has turned around to where only about 10% of the people live and work on farms or related work. We have taken our kids out of the country and that way of life. I raised my son in the woods and can tell you that he knows what a trap line is and hunts almost too much. We need to start spending time teaching kids that a drive by is when you drive by a field and see what is in it. That the hood is something you put on your scope to keep it dry when it rains. We are our own biggest treat to hunting because we don't take the time to show our young the way of our fathers. I agree with everything I have read and just wanted to add my 2 cents worth. I would challenge you to introduce a kid to our world this year. Take them hunting and show him how to shoot a bow. This time will be paid back to 10 fold.
66" Shadowcast Longbow 58# @ 28"
 By Tree's Custom Bows.
60" FireFly take down Longbow 54# @ 28" By Mr. Jim Jones

Be the kind of man that when your feet hit the floor
each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, He's up!"

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: December 21, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
Rookie@51
 Your right about bringing kids into hunting. I have done it; and its quite rewarding.

But as I read over the comments again; I started thinking about what friends have said is the reason they stopped hunting; or don't hunt as often.
 Its accessibility. Public lands are full of conflicts; and private lands have 'no hunting' signs everywhere; and more and more private land is being leased for hunting.

How does the average Joe or Josephine overcome that reality?

throw in the high cost of tags; and the big tent theory - and people wanting instant results for their money and taking that route to 'success'; and the bad turn hunting shows are taking ( not in the hunt; but in the impact of the arrow; the blood gushing out and the very sought after picture of the deer falling in camera range).

Not things we are doing....
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline JMartin

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: December 22, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »
You know what.....there's a LOT of legitimate concerns listed on these 9 pages. I for one, worry about a number of them. A huge concern is the anti's.....and their spawn. They can eventually worm their way into positions of influence. On the up side....hunting is, in itself a monstrous cash cow.  The amount of money spent in the USA every year by hunters is staggering. Don't think that goes unnoticed by the weasel politicians.

Offline Tsalagi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: December 22, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »
I've found that many antis go off of the images of the slob hunters they see in their community. Granted, you've got those wackadoos that would genetically alter cougars to eat lettuce if they thought they could get away with it. But the very best thing to use against antis is by being ourselves---ethical hunters. To be able to do that, we need to be able to hunt. For me, for example, I can't afford elk tags in this state and certainly don't have the money to hunt out of state. So, the elk tags go to who can afford them---and not always the most ethical hunters.

I read a good quote by a hunter that basically said we don't need MORE hunters we need BETTER hunters (he was speaking in terms of ethics.)I would also add to that to say we need affordable hunting so this isn't a "King's deer" kind of sport.
Heads Carolina, Tails California...somewhere greener...somewhere warmer...or something soon to that effect...

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: December 24, 2009, 09:32:00 AM »
I'll agree with we NEED better hunters and more space to live our lifestyle.

Those two things not withstanding; THE biggest threat to hunting is US.

We get on a website such as Tradgang and whine, moan, groan and complain to the choir!

IMHO, WE as hunters must be involved in groups that stand for our constitution and heritage. If, not us then who will? We are the ones who know the truth. We are the ones whom can tip the scales. We are the that maintain, use and protect the resources of our hunting traditions.

If, we sit back and allow the "experts" to control the conversation; then as the recipients of their "knowledge" and "benevolence", we should not complain about the meagerness of the outcome.

Doubt what I'm saying? Would you stand by and listen to a welfare recipient complain that you don't give enough? Would you sit still as an offspring told you how stingy you were?

I highly doubt that you would do either of the above! Knowing that you would defend your equipment choice vehemently; I believe you will fight if, backed into a corner. So, why not about your hunting or hunting lifestyle; in the policy debate?

I'll willingly hear someone else's side but, I will maintain that WE the People are our own worst enemy. We elect the ones who raise the price of a tag, raise a fee, cordon off wilderness, usurp private property, and WE the People are the base line mechanism to change the outcome!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

« Reply #127 on: January 16, 2010, 02:58:00 AM »
Sunstien the regulatory czar in a speach at harvard said how he plans to eliminate hunting and firearms in 3 years.  It may be a distraction to get the country fighting so they can take the heat off their other scams.  I do feel that paid access hunting has reduced the numbers in many areas.  Ex hunters will not fight to save our rights even if they agree with them. Putting a high price tag on hunting makes it exclusive for some and impossible for many.  If it simply not worth it to be a regular hunter, it is simply not worth the political fight that I fear is coming to save it.  I would like to see some bigger names out in the media and public that could increase access and help increase our numbers and still allow us all some elbow room, but I doubt that a ted Nugent is likely to pick up that banner any time soon, even though I know that he is in favor of more access and freer, dollar wise, relations with land owners.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: January 19, 2010, 06:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by GMMAT:
Ignorant hunters.

I live in NC.

Ignorant hunters, who think there's no way our way of life can be taken from us.....are betting their grandkids heritage.  If we fail to project a positive image of our pursuits (by our selfish; illegal; unethical and greedy actions), our hunting lands will continue to be bought up by people who simply won't allow hunting.  I see it happening, here, a little.  When I was grwoing up.....EVERYONE hunted or let hunters use their property.  Now....not so much.  Why???

We're gonna cut our own throats, if we're not careful......and we'll bleed out, slowly.
I couldn't agree with you more.  Ignorant hunters that project a negative image are the biggest threat to hunting.  

We have the same type of things happening here in southern Ohio.  People who used to let anyone hunt won't allow anyone now because some sorry s.o.b. had to go and do something stupid that turned the property owner against letting people hunt.  People around here have done things to ruin hunting grounds that range from littering to things that I won't even put out in public for the anti's to get ahold of.  Tresspassing is a big problem now too, landowners are tired of running off people they don't let hunt so they figure that it's easier to just keep everyone off.  Of course you seem to always have the guy who had permission and decided that meant he could bring all his buddies, we all know how that goes.  

I apologize, this is a sore subject with me, I didn't mean to rant or accidently climb on my soap box.  Seriously though if all hunters don't start to worry about the sport as a whole hunters are going to be what ends hunting for all.  "[dntthnk]"

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »
Ignorance . . .

Ignorance is a biggie, not only within ourselves but outside the outdoorsman community.  I think the way I was raised will do me good, I have grown up with a father that has been into the outdoors since he was in his 20's and a mother that had never camped untill she met my father.  So I have to be mindfull of everything I do.  

Now granted, things are a tiny bit different now.  I had a deer hide dryin in the house the other day, and she didnt like it but she didnt care.  A couple years ago that wouldnt have worked out, lol

So I think we need to be mindful towards the non-hunting community.  

HOWEVER, they also need to be mindful of us.  I think of our "sport" as a way of life.  If someone hated me because of hunting, or took it away it would be like taking away a car from a non-hunter.  It just wouldnt fly.  

They simply dont understand, we dont have advertizing campaigns to inform the public like PETA does.  Mabye we should.  All of my mothers side thinks that trapping is cruel.  It is only cruel if you dont know what you are doing.  If it is done right, it is very humane.  

Anyway-  Thats all I have to say about that  :biglaugh:
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline Flying Dogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: February 28, 2010, 10:28:00 AM »
Loss of land access to hunters for various reasons. I feel present leasing of land in the long run will reduce the ability to hunt for many. I am not opposed to leasing as in many cases it is quite understandable from the land owners view. Possibly the way properties are being leased may need to be changed. I do not believe that excessive leasing charges are good for the future of the average income hunter.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: February 28, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
television, and I actually thought that before reading Shaun's post!
Make a life, not a living

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: February 28, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
Others have touched on this- we as a nation have just moved too far from the land. Too many people are growing up on concrete, and don't have a real grasp of how the natural world works. My generation (I'm 61) still lived by growing and killing their food, or had close relatives that did. Now too many people never see a chicken's head chopped off, or a hog shot between the eyes with a .22, or milked a cow, or planted a garden, so that they and their families could eat. When meat comes from a store instead of our own actions, how can the average person that has never been exposed to the reality truly understand that we must kill to eat, even if it's done for us by someone else?

And then there are those TV shows...
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: March 26, 2010, 12:46:00 AM »
"hunters attacking hunters"

If you don't agree with a LEGAL hunting season, or what weapon is allowed to be utilized to hunt with, and you "attack" a fellow hunter, because he/she hunts with a (fill in the blank) YOU are one of the biggest problems.

When "big brother" succeeds in "removing" rifles/shotguns/handguns/crossbows/compound bows/trad bows/atlatls etc from the "legal" list of "authorized weapons," then "big brother" will start on the "next" weapon that THEY will outlaw.

If you give them a foot in the door, soon that "door" will be kicked completely off its hinges.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: April 27, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
Fewer places to hunt. But, hunting is in better shape these days than in the recent past as part of our culture even though hunter numbers have declined. However, hunter numbers are going to rebound. I know why and I'm not posting in a public forum.

Offline Balding Kansan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: May 02, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
Outfitters in my area. My grandpa is a farmer and when someone offers him more money than what the ground makes, it's hard to turn down. I can't blame him though. Farming is tough.
I hate rudeness in a man...won't tolerate it. -Lonesome Dove
Hill Country Harvest Master
KennyM Swap bow

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: May 04, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »
Most significant threat to hunting?

PROFIT$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: May 06, 2010, 01:56:00 PM »
Government is usually the problem to most things, it's best when it's too small to get in the way.

Hunters that don't work hard to preserve their rights are their own worst enemy.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: May 08, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »
There are obviously threats from several directions.

We've moved from a rural society to an urban/suburban society.

Our hunter demographics are graying with the baby boomers and fewer and fewer youth's are getting into the sport.
There are several reasons for that too, kids growing up in cities and concrete suburbs are one. Computers and the structured activities from urban/suburban life is another.

But to me, the biggest threat in the present and future is not nearly enough hunters understand that "WE" ARE the "game" managers. We are the final line of defense, and ironically, offense.

In the real modern world, hunting can no longer be viewed as a self centered pursuit where one expects state natural resources/game agencies to "get off my back/just let me hunt/don't tell me what I can't shoot".

We're going to have to understand that specific regulations will be needed for specific management goals. And even more so as land becomes more fractured and hunter numbers drop due to aging/less recruitment.

We need to work WITH state agencies, not against them. It's popular on some websites to be against state DNR's on everything. This is actually anti-hunting.

Wildlife biologists are not our enemy. If anything, they are a neglected ally that far too many have used as whipping boys for decades.

The bottom line is, if we don't work hand in hand with state agencies, and craft future regulations that both accomplish management goals and that are palatable to the majority of hunters, state agencies will look elsewhere, away from hunters, to accomplish those goals.

Take deer hunting for example. In many area's across the Midwest, deer herd numbers are already tough to manage thru current hunting rules. If we lose another 30% of our hunters to aging over the next 15 years, the baby boomers dropping out, then managing deer herds with current rules will be impossible.

Hunters used to being able to just go shoot any buck they see will have to adapt. In the not too distant future, like 10-15 years out, things like even far more antlerless tags, more antlerless seasons, antler restrictions, one buck a year, maybe earn a buck, maybe late summer archery openers, etc, will be the rules in nearly every major whitetail state.

Hunters need to understand this and be a part of crafting the rules too. Not merely sitting on the sidelines and complaining about everything state DNR's do.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: May 08, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »
Another concern, at least here in northern Michigan, is the number of both non-hunters AND hunters who do not like to see logging being done.

That's bad news. Whitetail deer are the #1 big game animal in the USA. But deer are creatures of "the edge" and newer growth. Old growth forests are great for red squirrels and some owls.

The area I hunt is a wooded, rural, "traditional deer camp" area. Yet, I'm amazed by the amount of people that own wooded land only for deer hunting who totally dislike logging and/or clear cuts.

Habitat is the key to "game animals". That's why anti groups like the Sierra Club have a backdoor agenda to slowly choke hunting off by slowing choking of game animal habitat, thus having few "game animals", thus the need for hunting as a management tool.

A MDNR deer biologist once told me that "the best deer management tool is the chainsaw". I agree 100%.

So if you hunt in area's of larger tracts of timber, do everything you can to promote the idea of logging to all your hunting buddies.

Logging is the future to good deer, grouse and rabbit habitat.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©