3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Two questions? trail cams and sharpening  (Read 396 times)

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Two questions? trail cams and sharpening
« on: January 13, 2008, 08:32:00 PM »
Has anyone tried the X block sharpening system? will it sharpen without haveing to remove bleeders? guess I should check the product review area! but thought I would ask.

Can anyone recommend a good trail cam? been reviewing the trail cam thread now I am gonna buy one? go figure   :knothead:   !

Thanks for the info yall,

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Two questions? trail cams and sharpening
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 11:17:00 PM »
Had good luck with my Moultrie Game Spy 3.1, great cam for the money.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline draco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 11:25:00 PM »
Moultrie 4.0. Spend a little extra money and get the IF instead of the flash,your batteries will last 6 times longer.

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 12:50:00 PM »
I have used the Xblock, on 3 blade Snuffers...works well, but had to strop on leather to get it scary sharp! Not sure on the bleeders, directions say you can, just seperate the "stones".

I have 2 Cuddebacks...and love em both!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 01:52:00 PM »
Thanks to yall for the replies,

Fireman 3311, what department you run with? I am here on the coast of NC place called Pine Knoll Shores FD.

Thinking bout getting the X block, I shoot Phantom's right now been shootin them awhile just hate to remove the bleeders to sharpen! Might try the WWs this year but I hate to switch. been lookin at the cuddebacks, haven't looked at the Moultries??? will have to do so.

Again Thankyou,

J
Always be stubborn.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 01:59:00 PM »
I have 6 of the Moultrie 4.0 that were brand labeled for Cabela’s. This is the version that uses the 6 volt rectangular battery. I have only had an issue with one of the cameras sucking the battery dry really quick and not getting any pictures from it so I took it back and replaced it. I think that Moultrie has switched their design from the rectangular battery to (6) “D” cell batteries. I personal like the rectangular battery because it’s easy to charge them, less items to carry into the field and keep track of.

The cameras have lived up to my expectations and I am satisfied with them. The batteries will last about three weeks. The trigger time for these cameras is slow but the price was $100 each so, every month I allowed myself to buy one camera. If fast trigger time is important to you then you can expect to pay around $300 - $400 per camera. The flash is good to about 25’ but the animals will have a bug eyed effect to them because of flash reflection.
The memory card that these cameras use is an SD card. I purchased mine for $17 each. They are 512 MB and I have had 300 plus (high resolution) pictures stored on a card without any problems.

I have found that the best place to set these cameras up is at a mineral lick or some place where your desired target will stand for a few minutes. If you plan to set a camera up on a trail, the camera should be pointed down the trail so that it has plenty of time to trigger and set the camera so that it takes 3 pictures every time it is triggered no matter where you place it. I also have mine set to wait 1 minute before taking another set of pictures. If you set the camera perpendicular to the trail you will have poor results.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »
I'm retired from the Marshall, Mo dept...One station, paid, town has little over 12000. Had a heart attack, Mar of 06...get yo cholestrol checked!!! When they put the pacemaker/defibrillator in, I was done with the Fire Service, unfortunately!

I like the Cbacks, I usually get giftcards to cabela's for Christmas, so have less than half in each of the 2 I own!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 04:38:00 PM »
My first camera was the Moultrie 4.0 which I got on sale at Sportsman Whse for $79. The comments about it's slow trigger time and how to deal with it is good info.  

Also, to avoid the bug eye affect, simply tape a piece of white paper over the flash.  I got the idea from someone else, and it works.  

With the 6 "D" batteries, I get 5-6 weeks of use, having set mine for 1 shot at 1 minute intervals.  

For the price, good camera.
Lon Scott

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by Blackhawk:

Also, to avoid the bug eye affect, simply tape a piece of white paper over the flash.  I got the idea from someone else, and it works.  

Blackhawk

Thanks for the tip. I will try it but I will use Mylar so that it will hold up in the weather.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 11:19:00 AM »
Paper goes over the flash inside, not outside...thus keeping the paper dry.
Lon Scott

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 02:53:00 PM »
Where can you find ceramic plates one could use for sharpening?????

J
Always be stubborn.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©