INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Do you take a firearm for back up?  (Read 8894 times)

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you take a firearm for back up?
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by limbolt:
Carry at all times,and not for the critters. I think we are now # 3 for pot production,have found several patches,so far no trouble but you never know.
So thats what they mean when they say "Kentucky Blue grass". Ya learn something new each day!
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
No. Not me.
That would be completely defeating the purpose.

Knife at side, bow in hand, both razor sharp.

Lifelong NRA Member.

I always leave my sidearms at home.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2010, 12:38:00 AM »
I thought "bow hunting" was for the challenge and "sport" of hunting the hard way.

While I fully support the RIGHT of persons to keep and bear arms, if you are so insecure of your hunting prowess, that you MUST carry a firearm, I do not see why you just don't utilize firearms seasons.

Here in Canada, I do NOT have a RIGHT to "bear arms" and while bow hunting, carrying a firearm is ILLEGAL.

I have never had a problem, nor do I worry about a "face off" with a major predator.

I bow hunt for the challenge, if I couldn't "stand the pressure" of the chance meeting with a grizzly/black bear, or cougar, I would go back to hunting with a rifle.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2010, 05:06:00 AM »
Yep but not as a backup.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »
I will not be carrying a knife to a gun fight!  The president of my bow club got mugged at his truck season before last as he dragged his deer out of the woods (saw the guys standing nearby) and they beat the living snot out of him, threw him in the ditch and took his deer. I have also had a couple of very unnerving encounters while on a remote piece of lake fishing and once while camping when I would have given all my camping gear for my .357.  Not any more--when momma and I are hiking the state forest or in other remote spots I will be packing--just recently got my concealed carry permit. WV allows permit holders to carry while hunting for self defense purposes only.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2010, 10:02:00 AM »
In New York we have 2 different zones with two separate seasons. In the Northern zone if you have a pistol permit you can legally carry your pistol because during deer archery season bear is open with a gun so legally you can carry it. That is straight from the ECO who patrols my area and from the Ranger for my zone there. They said the only week I can't carry is Muzzleloader because the regs state muzzleloader only. In the southern zone it is archery only so no pistols.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
I'm not worried as long as I have my bow. Illegal in MS anyhow. If I hunted dangerous bear country, I'd rather have a shotgun with buckshot for backup. A double gun can easily be broken down to fit in a  pack. Same for home defense, although I do keep a loaded .38 in the bedside table. Wouldn't do that if there were kids in the house.

The only thing I've encountered in the woods that really scared me was feral dogs. In my neck of the woods, it's assumed that anyone in the field is armed and ready to defend himself, and I've never heard of hunters having problems with the "crazies".
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »
Don, how much good would a broken down shot gun  in your pack do you if you stumbled up on a bear by surprise?  Bet he would have you down before you got the gun out and assembled!  I prefer bear repellent spray for that purpose--but my concern has never been with animals--only predatory people who have less and less respect for others.  It only takes once.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline dagwood64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »
I usually hunt with someone slower than myself, so all I have to do is outrun them. If not an arrow in the foot keeps them planted, while I get away.  :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
DEER THE OTHER RED MEAT!

62" Sasquatch T/D Hybrid 47@28
64" Sasquatch T/D Static Tip RC 50@28
64" Flatliner Stealth 45@29
64" Thunderstick III 55@29, for now.
60" Big Rock Black Hunter 35/40@28 (Daughter's)

Sirach 2:1-11

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
Not much, David. I was thinking more along the lines of packing it to the hunting area. Obviously a handgun in a holster is more convenient, but how many of us could really shoot a handgun well enough to keep a determined bear from taking us out? Not me, anyhow. I would be just about as likely to get an arrow in his brain.

I'm sure glad I don't live in a place that makes either dangerous bears or crazies a fact of life! For me it's just an exercise in "what if".
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
Way back when I was in school (a looong time ago) a biologist acquaintance likely saved his own life by carrying.  After doing fieldwork out in the boonies he returned to the cabin to find two gents eyeing the gear in his truck.  They wanted it.  He wasn't a big guy, they both were, and while one made threatening conversation the other fetched a log from the cabin woodpile and was slowly working around to his backside.  Uh-oh.  But you know, it's amazing how one's powers of persuasion dramatically improve when a .357 Mag suddenly appears in your hand.  He made it out of there and later the local warden said the gents may have been two ex-cons thought to have passed through the area. The warden also said it was a smart move to have carried that weapon.  The fellow agreed, lol.  

Even out in the boonies where you think you're the only one for miles around, there can be bad people and bad things waiting to happen.  And in such cases the only person you have to depend on is you.  Under those circumstances bows are nice...but guns are MUCH nicer.

Yup, I carry.  In town, and in the woods (CCP).

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
This thread has been a real eye opener for this Canuck. I had hoped to do several hunts in the States but now I'm not so sure it is safe. And I don't mean the wildlife. How many of you guys shoot yourselves while carrying pistols? I would think it is a pain in the you-know-what to be lugging around extra hardware while bowhunting!!!   :confused:
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2010, 01:01:00 PM »
Wiley, I think the "danger" as evidenced by this thread is overblown. I've hunted in lots of states, and I've never felt threatened or encountered any situation that made me want to carry a firearm. The only time I get nervous is if I accidentally find myself in the wrong part of town in some unfamiliar city. I keep firearms handy at home because of the possibility of robbery, but in the woods I don't worry about it. There may be a few areas like near the Mexican border or in known dope-growing areas where you need to be careful, but those are the exception rather than the rule. Don't worry about it, and come on down!

Offline 18thcentman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
I have no problem carrying a sidearm while bowhunting.If anything, for the peace of mind.A friend of mine had a sow bear send him back up into his tree stand one evening. He was there for several hours until help arrived. I would only shoot if I had to, but the report of the gun may be enough to scare off the aggressor.
Living the Dream

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
I had a 500lb black bear charge me after dark here in NY. I was waiting for my brother just standing on the logging road. Didn't have a flashlight or anything and was dark enough that I put my arrow in the quiver. A couple minutes later I thought to myself I should have my pistol where I can get it if needed so I put it in my vest pocket. Not 30 seconds later I heard a twig snap and turned around to see what looked like a car step out onto the logging road 20 yards away. Now I carry a 44Special snubnose and beyond 5 yards forget it. So I pulled it out and brased for impact. The bear grunted at me and started running. Literally about 2 seconds later he was 2 feet from me standing there for just a moment then turned and ran off. I was stunned. I had trailcam pics of him but he was bigger in person. Never will forget that night. The bear was shot with a rifle during gun season and field dressed over 450. My brother knows if he hears the pistol that something is chewin on me!!

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2010, 03:17:00 AM »
Wiley.

You have got to be kidding me right?  How many of us shoot ourselves?  I don't know of anyone who has, and have not heard of anyone who has shot themselves with a pistol while hunting.  You own screwdrivers, ever stick your self in the heart with one?  I happen to know that the canadian population is less than 1/10th of the US population.  By that simple fact we have approximately 10X as many criminals and they roam the woods at times.

I carry for the criminal predators and while I respect each persons right to choose to carry or not.  I gotta say if you need it and don't have it when the time comes, the bad guy is not going to be sympathetic to your plight.  He is just going to optimize it to his advantage.

God created man, Samuel Colt made them equal.  Peace of mind is knowing that familiar weight on your hip is there.  Saying you won't carry a defensive gun for safety because of it's weight is like saying you won't carry water in hot weather because of it's weight.  Or claiming that since the weather is warm you don't want to carry a pack with survival gear in the wilderness.  It's all fun and games until you need it.  Then the game becomes life and death.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2010, 03:41:00 AM »
When I am using my pack animals; or riding mule or horse; I keep my pistol on me. I might need it for dispatching an animal.
 I know you flatlanders can look for the closest house lights to find your way to safety; or listen for trucks on the highway.
 But get way back in; on a moonlit night; and a pistol can and has saved lives - as a communication tool.
 I got separated on a trip out in the wilderness from my son; and even with flashlights we could not find each other without shooting and walking towards each other.
 Then too; when your all alone- having a gun could signal another hunter in an emergency.

I signed nothing that says I have to give up my right to keep and bear arms - when I bought my licenses and tags. I am a bowhunter- and having a gun on my hip changes nothing about that.

Guns don't break game laws; people do.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2010, 04:10:00 AM »
In Oklahoma you must have a Concealed Carry Permit to have a sidearm on your person while hunting during bow season. I have one, so I do. It is not a legal means to take game with during archery season so bowhunting is still bowhunting. I carry a titanium .357 so weight is not a problem. It weighs less than a quart of water.

I suppose not so much as back-up on game. If I ever drew a bear or mtn. lion permit I would.

I have hunted in several other states (bow hunted) that allowed sidearm carry during archery season or that had concealed carry reciprocity and did there as well. Have never needed it, hope I never do. Emergency/survival gear is for just that, a situation that you don't expect that could threaten your life.

As far as being effective with it if I had to use it? Had to pass the shooting test when I applied for the permit, practice at least once a week. Yes, if the threat is close enough to actually be considered a threat, I will be effective. Why carry it otherwise? I don't use cheap ammunition either (for practice, yes). I load with ammunition designed and proven for using in a defense situation.

I don't always carry when I am on my hunting lease. It's not so big that a cell phone isn't a better tool. I sure did when we were trying to get rid of the feral hogs on the property though! Around camp it is accessable and everyone in camp knows where it is and that it is loaded. I know where theirs is and know that they are also loaded in a clean and well working fashion.

It is a tool like anything else, used for good or bad by those that pick them up.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »
Here's the thing-hope for the best, prepare for the worst.  How many guys have been lost in the woods for long periods (survival type) of time?  Yet we preach to take survival gear, right?  I have yet to be accosted in the woods, but that certainly doesn't mean it couldn't happen.  No problems with those who don't choose to carry, but I do and will continue to do so.  Think about it-if there is a nefarious type out during hunting season, they're VERY likely to be out there with a weapon of some sort...I'm going to do my best to have odds in my favor.

SPECTRE: "I don't know about Virginia, but its illegal during archery-only season in Idaho."

I double checked with Idaho F&G and confirmed it is legal.  As the employee told me, "you have the right to bear arms", regardless of if being archery season or not-just FYI if you get back this way and wanna carry.

Safe hunting to all
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2010, 03:30:00 AM »
I am all for the right to carry a pistol if you want.  I have owned a number of them myself, but to think I would ever need to defend myself with one is a bit of stretch for me.  I took on a highway patrolman friend once that had just passed his shooting tests.  At twenty yards, 6 shots in thirty seconds.  I beat him every time with a Jerry Hill Bamboo Special. I am not an expert with a pistol and apparently neither was my friend, but how good does one need to be to really know that it is a reliable backup or survival(food wise) tool versus just a noise maker.  In the July 4 blowdown storm at the boundary waters I was on the Canadian side.  After the storm we heard someone fire three consecutive shots a number of times.  The gun was not legal there, but we thought the worst and went to their aid. I have no idea why they were in such a panic because all of their equipment was there and no one was was hit by any falling trees.  Two days later they were cleaning fish near their camp and they were taking turns holding the gun pointing into the woods, just in case a bear came out to attack them while they were cleaning fish. I believe that some have a false sense of security in their pistols, keeping a clear head about things is important when packing one.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©