INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Indiana Deer Hunting Survey-may have changes that increase crossbow use.  (Read 1709 times)

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I get e-mail from the Indiana DNR and there is a survey about possible changes to the hunting equipment and season dates that are being considered. You can take the survey until the 23rd. Please see if you can find it and take it. There are several questions about crossbows.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
The crossbow folks want everyone to partake and say "Yes" for any crossbow advancement, even if they are not residents of Indiana.  Does not like a fair shake to me.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
I took it. I think the dnr is being selective in whom they send the survey to. That way they can say they did it but it was against crossbows in archery season.
  The dnr would rather see the crossbow have it's own season like it does now, that way the dnr can sell more licenses.
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I took it as well.  Looks like there are some options that would move the gun season later a week or two as well - which would be FANTASTIC for archers----and something I'll have to see to believe.  Maybe the IN DNR is getting a bit smarter about why Ohio and Illinois have so much better hunting than Indiana - It ain't the state line - it is the silly rut gun season.

Nighthawk - The crossbow here has its own season?  I thought it was included in the late "primitive" season - and that a normal archery tag could be used on a deer killed in the late season with X-gun.  Am I mistaken?  Do they need to buy a separate tag?  Just interested.  I bought my lifetime license in '98 when I moved here as soon as I was in the state long enough so I've never bought a deer tag myself.

I surely hope you are right about keeping it out of the early archery season.  Having open x-gun season would be a nightmare.

Ryan

Offline Beezer

• Trad Bowhunter
A crossbow isn't archery, so I do not believe it belongs in the early archery season.  However, it does have its place.  I know disabled hunters who still yearn for close encounter hunting, but are physically unable to draw a bow.  
How about pushing early archery and firearms seasons back a week, and creating a week long crossbow season before early archery starts? It would give wheelchair bound crossbow hunters better weather (than late archery season) to hunt in, would likely result in better doe herd management, and give early archery virtually the entire rut season right up to lock-up stage!

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
By placing the crossbow in either the early archery season or have it the first implement to be used at the very beginning of hunting season, depending on how the regs are written for "disabled", you could have a huge influx of firearms hunters getting a crossbow tag.  In PA, the PGC refused to listen to the facts and had the crossbow folks help them.  They were told to expect only about 400 "disabled" applications for their new "disabled crossbow permit".  they got over 43,000 the first year.  Because their reg was written that the applicant only needed a doctor's note, and not an exam about a shoulder injury, they HAD to issue 23,000 the very first year.  So far, close to 50,000 "disabled crossbow permits" have been issued.

There are options available for the disabled and physically challenged bowhunters.  Do not be fooled by the ruse of warm and fuzzy by the crossbow Lobby.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline Flying Dogg

• Trad Bowhunter
I believe the crossbow will eventually over take archers where ever it is legalized for anyone. I believe this because it is easy, requiring minimal skill. This makes it attractive to non-archers that would like to hunt the archery season which is the ultimate goal. This is a very serious threat to a bow season established for archers.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I'm a nonresident of Indiana, although I spent the first 37 years of my life there -- Richmond. I received the e-mail survey and completed it. It is obvious the agency is checking the temperature of folks to see what kind of support (or opposition) they'd receive for additional firearms and crossbow opportunity. I responded in a way that would leave all the seasons and equipment types the way they are now. Except - I opted for a later firearms season (that one won't be popular). I would like to see bowseason begin earlier. There is no biological reason more September hunting could be allowed (the average temp. difference from mid-Sept to Oct. 1 is only 3 degrees).  We start in KY on the 1st Saturday and it is terrific - hayfield patterns and the occassional velvet buck. Fawns are mostly unspotted and fully capable of fending for themselves by mid-August. I'm a retired wildlife biologist and 46-year bowhunter.  I spend 3-10 days each  year hunting with my best friend near Attica, IN.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©