INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: ethical vs legal?  (Read 4860 times)

Offline recurvecody

• Trad Bowhunter
ethical vs legal?
« on: July 27, 2010, 10:17:00 AM »
i was doing my mourning routne this mourning here at work drinking my coffee checking out the paper and decided to check out the hunting regulations here in oklahoma. i'm getting the itche to do some whitetail hunting. going throw the regs i noticed a change. crossbows are legal for everyone. i've always believed that if you where disabled and crossbows got you back to doing what you loved to do than by all means go hog wild. so i guess what im getting at is if its legal does that mean its ethical? i just want to hear some opinions on the subject, what do you think should a person be able to hunt  with a crossbow along side a person who shoot traditional? so leave a comment on what you think or believe is right or wrong or how you feel about this subject.
thanks cody
pick a spot stupid!

Online crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ethical vs legal?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 10:35:00 AM »
For the record I do not believe cross bows are bows at all. That being said, if it is legal to hunt with one then IMO it is ethical as long as you apply the weapon correctly. Take only kill shots and such. Track any wounded animal to the limits and such. Just because we limit ourselves does not mean the rest of the hunters out there must do the same. I love to hunt, period. The weapon I choose is decided by the season. If I could only choose one it would be my longbow. Honestly though, my firearms put a whole lot more meat in the freezer, but I am still pretty new to trad.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
We hunt alongside 30" ATA compounds with 80% plus letoff, scopes, and triggers.

Offline recurvecody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
good points guys.
pick a spot stupid!

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 12:27:00 PM »
Legal is applied by the state.  Ethical is applied by the individual.  If a person chooses to hunt with a crossbow where legal then for them it is ethical.

Crossbows have as much to do with archery as sniper rifles have to do with muzzloading.  They don't belong in archery seasons in my view.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline recurvecody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »
i like that analogy ragnarok
pick a spot stupid!

Offline Tsalagi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 12:13:00 AM »
Sometimes, what's legal isn't ethical and what's ethical isn't legal.
Heads Carolina, Tails California...somewhere greener...somewhere warmer...or something soon to that effect...

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 06:22:00 AM »
I agree completely with Tsalagi!  :thumbsup:
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline recurvecody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 08:12:00 AM »
well said tsalagi.
pick a spot stupid!

Online Witherstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
I would have to echo some of the sentiments above.  I do not consider the crossbow a bow.  In fact, I do not consider the compound a bow.  They are what they are.

That being said, I do consider them "archery" gear and therefore having a place in "archery" seasons.  The compound and crossbows should not be part of "bow" seasons.  Thus, they should have seasons of their own based upon biology.

Compound users get all bent out of shape when you point out that there is little difference between the crossbow and compound.  Doing so removes the veil and reveals that they are not using a stick and string, as they try to imply for their ego.  

Yet, I have nothing against using either the crossbow or compound.  I've been known to shoot them at various times.  

Further, while it would be nice in a perfect world, what's legal would be based upon what's ethical.  But, too many selfish interests prevent that from happening.  Thus, just because something is legal doesn't mean it is ethical.

Offline recurvecody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »
very well put witherstick.
pick a spot stupid!

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »
My state and a few others I've hunted in define a bow as a weapon where the string is drawn and held by hand.  The compound is still very much a bow, just not one I've owned in 13 years (or care to own).  You need to draw a bow while the animal is relatively close to you, hold it, then release when the time is right.  Many make the argument that with the 80%+ letoff you can draw the bow well in advance, but the fact remains a lot of hunters still get busted while drawing.

A crossbow can be set up to make a perfectly ethical kill on big game.  It does not belong in a "bow season" though.  It does not meet the requirements of a "bow" - being drawn and held by hand.  There are special circumstances where a crossbow can be used in CT, and I support them being used in the regualr firearms season.  I also support muzzleloaders and bows being used in the regular firearms season, but that ain't legal here either.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
For whatever its worth, its my opinion that crossbows should not be allowed during the bow only season, but they are. The legislature in Oklahoma went for the big box money, like Texas and others. Remains to be seen what will come of this.   :dunno:

Online Witherstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
Jeremy makes a good point as far as what can be defined as a bow legally.

However, this is also an example of allowing what's legal to guide one's own opinion.  My state also recognizes the compound as a bow.  But, I do not.  There is very little bending occurring during the draw of a compound that creates a "bow" in the limbs.  It's more of a compression wouldn't you say?  Add to that, the fact that many crossbow hunters are busted trying to shoulder and steady one of those heavy awkward contraptions.

No, I'm not buying it.  The law can say it is a bow, but it isn't for me.  But again, I do think there is a place for compounds and crossbows.  I just want to call an apple an apple, an orange an orange, and a bow a bow.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »
Even in the dark ages a crossbow was not called a bow.  The bowmen held a higher status and were far better trained, housed and fed than crossbowmen.  The basic facts were that any individual could be taught to fire a crossbow with relative ease.  Bowmen took a lifetime to reach great skill.  

I am not against crossbows.  I think the are find in modern rifle seasons along with the other stocked weapons.
Clay Walker

Offline recurvecody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
so would anyone agree that there should be a "crossbow only" season like the firearm  season?
pick a spot stupid!

Online Witherstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
I do not think that there is a reason for a crossbow only season in most areas at this time.  However, the time might come when the need of limiting the time afield for compounds and crossbows becomes necessary.

As pointed out above, even centuries ago the crossbow was easier to master than the longbow.  However, those same archers did not have the option of a modern compound either.  These too are easily mastered!

This is why, for me, it is necessary to refer to a compound as a compound and a crossbow as a crossbow.  Because that day might just come!!!

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
As far as is it ethical if it's legal, would youtake a 50 yd. shot through brush at a moving animal?  I wouldn't.  It's perfectly legal to do but in my oppinion it's unethical.  

There in lies part of the problem.  Ethics are a purely personal thing.  what is ethical to one isn't ethical to another.  

As far as crossbows go.  I think they're fine for the weak, elderly and disabled but I don't feel an able bodied hunter should bow hunt with one.

Offline Clinglish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
In my humble opinion .Legal is what you are allowed to do by law
Ethical is what your morols, consience,and personal integrity will alow within the boundaries of law.
I love Bowhunting!!!!
Hunting for Bows that is   ;)

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
No way on the crossbow season.  They would cut the time out of the archery seasons.
Clay Walker

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©