INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: State or Public Land Laws on Roving  (Read 1404 times)

Offline NC Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
State or Public Land Laws on Roving
« on: September 17, 2010, 12:11:00 PM »
Does anyone know about laws on roving on public lands?  I am specifically interested in PA right now, as I am planning a trip there, but am curious about other states.  We live in NC and frequently travel around the surrounding states.

My daughter loves to do this, but it seems very challenging to decipher regulations.

Also, I actually manage hunting/draft the regs on federal land and would be interested in language that other public lands may have used to define permitted roving.

Offline Davesea

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: State or Public Land Laws on Roving
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
Good question.  I check with WA state DNR and they allow archery for target. You just have to make sure you shots don't go across roads etc.  They also allow hunting when season allows.  I was surprised to learn you could shot guns too.  You just have to shoot into a burm.

Don't know if you have seen:
 http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/
But they have an awesome product which allows you to make sure that you are in the public land boundries using your GPS!

I downloaded the Public Land Boundaries Transparent GPS Map for $35.  Now my GPS shows all the state and federal lands!  IT is awesome!  Highly recommend it!  I also have the Google maps version for planning.
"Anyone can make a bow, but it takes skill and experience to make an arrow"  ISHI

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
In CT it's considered target shooting and is illegal on public land except in designated shooting ranges.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 11:35:00 PM »
It is illegal to go plinking or to shoot targets on public hunting land in Iowa.  However, the game wardens have watched us practice all the way in and out and only commented on how cool it looks and how warming up is important to shoot accurately.

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 11:46:00 PM »
Ive always had a small game license with me when Ive gone stump shooting on public land in Iowa.  Guess Ive never considered the legality of taking a couple practice shots to  be honest.  I take my bow if Im looking for sheds in the early spring and shoot whatever trash I happen to see before picking it up to carry out of the woods as well guess I may have to check into this more closely.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©