INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Carroll Co. MD-Sunday hunting-PASSED  (Read 1577 times)

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
Carroll Co. MD-Sunday hunting-PASSED
« on: January 26, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »
I am speaking to Delegate Krebs tomorrow morning per her request in regards to Sunday hunting in Carroll county. I have been speaking with her for several years and it looks like she is willing to sponsor a bill identical to last year's Frederick Co. bill (SB209) to repeal the ban on Sunday hunting.

This is the farthest I have come in almost 3 years of doggedness, and I have highest hopes I have ever had. I am to cover with her office what other counties have done and how so they can propose a bill late session. They want names and addresses of Carroll Co. residents who would support this bill.

(Mods...I am not quite sure of the protocol here as far as asking for support, so if I am about to step over any lines, please inform me and I will correct it. I thank you for your understanding.)

If you would support this bill to allow Sunday hunting in Carroll county and would like to add your name to the list, you can PM me your info or email it to [email protected]

I will keep everyone posted as to the progress. If you are unable or uncomfortable with giving your info, just post or PM me that you would like info about who/where to contact to show your support and I will provide that information after our call.

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carroll Co. MD-Sunday hunting-PASSED
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
I'd lend my name, but I'm in Anne Arundel county.

Wish this could get fixed at the state level. They give you unlimited anterlerless in AA and a few other counties, but between cutting the working man's season in half with no Sundays then they don't let you hunt close to homes (>150yds) so all the deer hole up in developments and you can't touch them even in your own back yard.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
Hey folks, we have raised enough of a ruckus to get the Representatives of Carroll county to write a bill to allow Sunday hunting. It is not the one we were after, but it is a modification of it, and is a positive start.

They are having a public hearing regarding it on Thursday February 10th 2011 at the Carroll County Office building at 7:00 PM in room 003. We need to get it past this hearing so it can be introduced for consideration.

If you can attend in support, please show up. If You are unable to attend and would like to email or call in your support prior to the meeting, please PM me your email address and I can provide you the proper contact information of the Representatives.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
I'm sure you have mentioned this, but you should stress that Sunday hunting aids in recruitment and retention of youths and new hunters, since it's a weekend, aids in deer kill in problem overpopulated area's because most hunters have weekends to hunt and helps local economies with more hunters in the woods.

You might also add that if one has religious concerns, the freedom of religion gives one the choice not to hunt on any given sabbath. That's the individuals choice.

But then again, different religions have different sabbaths. I doubt most common christians would be too keen on Friday or Saturday hunting bans because another faith passed such a rule.

Michigan got rid of the Sunday hunting bans a few years back. You could do a search if any info can help you.

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
I think it was a great night for Sportsman of Carroll and hunters in general. Thank you to the Delegates and Senator for making this hearing  available and taking valuable time from their schedules to become more knowledgeable on this matter.

What an incredible diversity of supporting views, all well stated. Hunters came across exactly as they should have and are...respectful, concerned, educated and prepared with facts. Everyone had specific points to cover that put together an overall powerful and positive stance for supporting the Sunday hunting bills (HB625 and SB468) that had already been filed the day before.

Other than residents, it was awesome to have representatives of 4 major supporting organizations in the CC Farm Bureau, the CC Sportsmans Assoc., the QDMA, and the MBS. You guys made great presentations, and every hunter should thank these guys if given the chance.

The opponents (mainly the equestrian contingent) had no facts or documents to support their objections. They seemed to have only spoken their opposition based on isolated incidents of poaching, illegal activity, their wish to do away with rifles in Carroll (nobody had an objection to actually bowhunting), and general unsubstantiated fear. No points that actually have to do with Sunday hunting, rather hunting in general, and based mainly on illegal activity. I actually had two women laugh at my documented statements of no non-hunters being injured or killed. I tried to present the documentation to those two ladies after so they could see the DNR proof, but they would not even look at it. I really think the last speaker pretty much summed up the night, and perhaps was the best thing that could happen for us, but I'll leave that story for a bonfire, it was priceless. Surprisingly, there were no religious objections or "give the deer a day off" objections.

I really think both sides would greatly benefit from more open lines of communication and open mindedness. It seems to me that the general arguments of opponents are based on a general lack of understanding and education of our sport. The hunters and landowners made it very clear that we're open to dialogue so that we could work to help them better understand.

To me, the whole hearing was quite overwhelming, and there was just way too much for me to try and explain. The process really needs to be experienced to fully understand and appreciate. One thing is for sure, there are a lot of folks last night who I did not get an opportunity to meet (if you were there and I missed you, sorry) and I would have liked to. The gentleman who had the farm in Silver run, man...what a cool guy that was, and what great testimony he gave.

I could go on and on, and there are a lot of folks and names I have not mentioned, but you know who you are and you know what a difference you made, and for that everyone should be grateful.

So, even though it appeared to be a great night for us, the road is still uphill.

Next stop is Annapolis.

I am "calling all cars" and "all hands on deck" for the one in Annapolis. While the numbers definitely favored us last night by an apparent large margin, there will be more opposition there when it is time, and we will need even stronger numbers in Annapolis when the time comes.

I got home last night feeling really good despite my massive headache. I took the day off today. My afternoon may involve a beer or ten.

I just want to say thanks to everyone who is stepping up to the plate on this and let them know how much I appreciate them letting me be a little part of this big giant snowball.

Offline briarpatch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 12:21:00 PM »
Best of luck to you guys in your attempt to repeal the Sunday hunting ban.  This past season in NJ, they allowed Sunday bowhunting on private land and WMA's.  It was really nice to have that option.  I wish you well

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
Okay folks, we have before us our next step in securing Sunday hunting rights in Carroll county. I had received an email from Margaret Schnoor at Delegate Stocksdale's office stating the following:

"Dear Mr. Raine:

The above House Bill has been scheduled for a hearing on March 11 at 1 p.m. in the House Environmental Matters Committee.  If you want to testify in support of the bill, please let me know.  If you will have written testimony that you want distributed to the committee members for the hearing, I will need to have that no later than March 10 so that I will have time to make the necessary copies and get them to the committee clerk.  If you do want to testify, I can sign you in if you think you may not be here before 1 p.m. that day.

Please be in touch.

Thanks.

Margaret Schnoor

Legislative Assistant to Delegate Stocksdale

322 Lowe House Office Building

Annapolis, MD   21401

410-841-3077 (Phone)

410-841-3241 (Fax)"

Basically what this means is that it would go a long way to have as many people as possible (especially Carroll residents) in Annapolis that day present to testify at the hearing. The opposition will no doubt be there in force.

There are 2 ways to testify:

1) The best way, as stated, is in person. I have spoken to Lou and Andy and they will be there to testify. They will make themselves available to guide and assist anyone who goes. Testifying is as easy as getting up and saying, "I support this bill". YES...it is that easy. The main thing you need to do is show up on time and make sure you are signed in to testify. If you wish to attend and testify, you can contact Margaret and have her place you on the list. Just make sure that if you get on that list to show up. If you are not signed up ahead of time, you can sign in there up to 1/2 before the hearing and Lou or Andy can show you what to do.

2) If you cannot attend or want to go but are apprehensive about standing up in front of the committee, you can submit written testimony. If you would like to do it this way, please follow the following guidelines Margaret has supplied:

"You need to address your testimony letter to:

Delegate Maggie L. McIntosh

Chairwoman, House Environmental Matters Committee

251 House Office Building

Annapolis, MD  21401

Re:         House bill 625 – Carroll County – Deer Hunting on Private Property – Sundays

Dear Chairwoman McIntosh:

Write your testimony.

Sincerely,"

You can email your letters to:

[email protected]

Label it, "Testimony for HB625"

She needs all written testimony in her hands no later than Wednesday March 9th. Please keep your letters to no more than one page (they like that), be factual, to the point, and most of all respectful (not only to the Representatives but also to the opposition).

If you are going, PLEASE contact Lou Compton or Andy (augie) so you all can arrange times and locations to meet up for the hearing.

I have contacted the President of the Carroll County Farm Bureau (Joe Kuhn) and he will be there as well to testify. He has experience down in Annapolis as well, so if you meet him and need assistance, I am sure he would help.

I still need to contact E.W. Grimes and also someone from the Carroll Sportsmans Association to make sure they know about the hearing, so if anyone wants to take the lead on contacting them, just let me know.

Any other questions please feel free to contact me.

Thanks folks, we are one BIG step closer, so lets keep up the support. We are almost there.

Jim

P.S.-I want to be very up front with this...if it sounds to you like I will not be there...you are correct.

I have a trip I leave for that morning. I have tried every way possible to delay my departure, but it is just not possible. Anyone who knows me knows that this is absolutely killing me, however I have done my best to make sure you folks who are picking up my dropped ball are well prepared, and that is why Lou and Andy have stepped up to be your "guide" in Annapolis, as well as the fact that I will be available for any questions.

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
If I am reading this right, it looks like Sunday hunting in Carroll county has passed.

http://mlis.state.md.us/2011rs/billfile/hb0625.htm

http://mlis.state.md.us/2011rs/billfile/sb0468.htm

Looks like all it needs is a signature from the Gov.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©