INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: New York Proposals for 2012  (Read 1554 times)

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
New York Proposals for 2012
« on: November 27, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
Recent Issue from New York Bowhunters and what the DEC has agreed to so far for 2012:

Reduce discharge distance for bows from 500 feet to 150 ft from houses

Allow Bowhunting in Nassau County (Long Island))

Allow Bowhunting on Long Island during January firearms season

Lower Junior age to 12

Still a long way to go on other proposals which would take away days from bowhunters in both Northern and Southern Zones plus the DMP(deer mgmt permits) and restrictions.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New York Proposals for 2012
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
I thought that the 12 year old qualification was already in place. The 150 ft would open up a whole new world for me.   :clapper:

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
I like the bowhunting during january season.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »
So did I Izzy...but apparently this was brought up again. You can pull up the NYB Website, all the information on upcoming changes or regs are there.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
Don't understand the 150 ft. You need permission to recover from anyone's property - if you are shooting deer 150 from someone's structure, you will need perission to recover sooner or later. If you can ask for and get permission to recover, you can ask for perission to hunt within 500 ft. I pesonally don't want anyone I don't know shooting any weapon within 500 ft of my house.

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Joe.  Now does this make it a done deal or does it have to be approved by legislation?  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline adkarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
The below are NOT items the DEC has agreed to implement for 2012.  These are areas of common interest that the DEC would like to see passed legislatively, but of course would need and like support for.

Recent Issue from New York Bowhunters and what the DEC has agreed to so far for 2012:

Reduce discharge distance for bows from 500 feet to 150 ft from houses

Allow Bowhunting in Nassau County (Long Island))

Allow Bowhunting on Long Island during January firearms season

Lower Junior age to 12
(NOTE for above post: this is for all implements, bowhunting is already 12)

Potential changes for 2012 that affect bowhunting:

1. increased season time in the NZ and use of DMPs during archery season

2. 10/1 SZ archery opener

3. Potential muzzleloader season in some Southern Zone areas, 3rd step in a 3 tier process

4. No anterless only bow/muzzleloader tag in areas that do NOT issue DMPs - such as the 5 WMUs in the Catskills that currently did not issue DMPs this year.

5. Youth firearms hunt that is still being reviewed for the timing of it - maybe during archery season, maybe not

Adkarcher
New York Bowhunters - Life Member
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Assoc.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 09:40:00 AM »
That is pretty funny. I live in Nassau County and if there are 5 deer running around I'd be shocked.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 01:28:00 PM »
Here in the southern boardering counties to pensylvania, with the increase of coyote and bear populations.and considering the thinning of Doe numbers by DMP's, I think the amount of DMP's issued should be cut back.The Doe population were I hunt has been reduced signifacently from what it was three years ago.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
Hey Everyone, New to this section of tradgang!

Anyway I lived in NY for 25years until I moved to VA. I'm al in favor of the changes mentioned, one thought on teh 150ft rule.

Here in VA we have no limit on how close you can be to another house, but you need permission to recover, and it's illegal to shoot an arrow (even on your own property) in a direction or manner which you would reasonably expect to result in the arrow landing in someone elses property. In other words, you can hunt on small parcels but only from tall treestands with near vertical shots. I think its a smart rule, and I think it might make people more comfortable with the 150ft rule.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
That would be fine for me LittleBen. Withthe woodlots i hunt on Long Island they are big enough butthe best deer trails are always close to the houses. Right now I have a good spot that is one hundred yards away from houses that I can't hunt since one of the houses is an anti-hunter. If they knocked it down to 150 feet i would be able to hunt there and they kicker is they wouldn't even know i was there since the area is pretty thick. In the woods, 500 feet is a long ways for a bow in a hunting situation.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Fishburglar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »
I live in nassau county and have seen more than 5 deer from august-november hahamaybe im lucky? iM in favor for the 150 feet rule. my neighbors are 300 feet errr
The Fishburglar

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©