INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Crossbow issue!  (Read 1382 times)

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
Crossbow issue!
« on: January 06, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
Just a heads up as to what the AFGA is proposing.

BE IT RESOLVED THAT Alberta Sustainable Resource Development include crossbows in all archery seasons.

BRIEF: This would enhance hunting opportunities for all Albertans, and not just those with traditional archery equipment. The choice of equipment should be up to the individual.

Funny that they include "All" Bowhunters as traditional.

Here is a response from an ABA board member:

"People who vote yes clearly think they will just be able to take away opportunity from the bowhunting seasons and that may be the case in the short term.  When "bowhunters"  (that would be your definition as a crossbow is in no way a BOW) are now 30% of the total population and that number will be measured by the number of bowhunting certificates sold then SRD will then be pleased to match harvest allocations / opportunity / hunter numbers to a fair and equitable number.  So yes there will be increase opportunity for "bowhunter" but it will come at the expense of gunhunters.

The push for crossbows is spearheaded by industry.  They want to sell crossbows to those people who do not want to take the time to shoot a traditional or compound bow.  They know that in other states their sales increase if crossbows are allowed in the general season.  This is not about opportunity or the betterment of hunting, it is about money and selling more crossbows.  It is disappointing that AFGA is taking such a short sighted view and promoting and supporting this endeavor.  Also the big push by TV personalities trying get advertising and free product is saddening.  These folks know they can't compete with the top tier rifle shows, they know Jim Shockey is the real Macoy on the muzzleloader system and they know they are inept with a traditional bow so they are trying to carve out a niche with the crossbow.

Your membership will cost the hunting public in Alberta with this push.  I would hate to be the president who gets this done as two years down the road when SRD gives "bowhunters" 30% or their fair share at the expense of gunhunters, he might not be so poplar.  

Does AFGA really think that SRD will allow 20 - 40,000 new crossbow users to enter the general seasons without taking opportunity from somewhere else?  I wonder if its something that your president and your executive has not considered?  

Allowing crossbows in the general archery season might allow a few gun hunters to take up a crossbow and getting in on a few draws and hunting the general seasons but when all seasons go on a draw and those tags are taken away from the rifle hunters you will have to agree it really won't help.

I am looking towards the day when "bowhunters" are 30% of the total hunting population and get fair allocation of the available harvest."
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Cowboy Al

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Crossbow issue!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 12:05:00 AM »
Gun, I belive this was a resolution at last years AFGA conference as well. I was floored when the majority of delegates present voted for it. It must have been submitted again...trying to make enough noise to get SRD to act on it.

I'm not in favor of it, I don't think crossbows have a place in the general archery seasons, this is my opinion only I'm not sure what the pulse of our general membership (MHFGA) is on this subject. I don't think many people have a strong opinion one way or the other. It's my fear that apathy may rule the day and allow cross-guns in the general archery season and I think that would be a shame.

Scott Johnson
Past President
MHFGA

Offline bloubow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
Well!
 I just filled in a Game Harvest Survey. The Alberta SRD send it to me on line and I like to think that most Bowhunters did get it and I hope they filled it.
The last Question was about our opinion on this issue; Letting cross bows in the all general bowhunting seasons. A very small and incomplete example of future scenario of one effect on bowhunting. No examples for gun hunting!!!!  Your choice of responces where yes, no, or neutral.. No boxe to explain your answer.  This leads me to belive that: if they conduct the same survey for gun hunters we are outvoted from the get go as the # and % will prevail against the present bowhunting community. So I strongly belive that the governement is just going true the motions and will impliment what they have already decided behind close doors.
But just in case I am wrong and they actually might look at our opinions. I encourage everyone to fill in the survey and let them know where you stand.  I hope you stand behind a bow  NOT SOMETING YOU SHOULDER AND PULL A TRIGER TO PROPELL A BOLT......
Please fill in the survey to the end!
Yves  :readit:

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 06:59:00 AM »
Guys I've fought this thing as much as a little guy can.  I think the fight was lost before it began, the crossbow manufacturers have lots of money to fight this one.  The bow manufacturers making compounds now can easily gear up to put an x-gun in the hand of anyone who wants one.  The arrow companies are wringing their hands in glee!!  Who's going to listen to a bunch of guys who can be made to look "elitist."  

As trad hunters we should be pushing for  primitive/traditional concessions and let the wheelie and x-gun dudes have the current seasons to themselves.  I'd like to be able to go to a 6 point elk area with trad gear and hunt 5 pointers.  Or get a moose draw on 5 priority points rather than 6 etc....  I know that won't happen either because we don't the numbers of members needed to change things politically.

So for those of you reading and wondering why you should buy a membersdhip in the ATBA that's the reason.

From the other side of the pond

The chef

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 12:05:00 AM »
Well said Tracy. I agree. I'm surprised we've held them off this long. When the first handicap crossbow tags were allowed I knew it was the beginning of the end. This is how "they" work it. Everyone on here should be a member of both ATBA and ABA and get involved! It makes me mad that the general meetings of both organizations have such a poor turn out. But look at the awards banquet or shoots.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline hightop_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 04:31:00 AM »
I recently voted against this motion. From what i heard from the AB hunters association was that the motion to keep them out has passed.'their will be no Crossbows in the bow zone' from what I understand. il see if I can Find the email that had the results on it.

Offline Tox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
For the time being the crossbows are out of the archery season but it's a battle to just maintain ground. No sooner are the resolutions defeated, they are re submitted by AFGA. The ABA survey had an outstanding support to keep crossbows out of the archery season (roughly 90%). These are the numbers government listens to. Of the returned surveys, I believe only about 50% were ABA members and it's good to see all bowhunters are taking an interest and the time to fill out the survey/questionaire. The ABA is your voice as a bowhunter to the government. I think it's important to get involved, even if it's just a membership, before we lose out because we said nothing.
We use inefficient tools by choice, precisely because they are inefficient. Making them more efficient defies our original intentions.
Dave Sigurslid.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©