INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Crossbow bill in Illinois  (Read 5016 times)

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Crossbow bill in Illinois
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
Interesting....In speaking with the Senators during the spring session, they are using the traditional bow term interchangeably with compounds, recurves and longbows.  When they say "traditional bows" or "traditional hunting", they really mean non-crossbow archery hunting.

The "compromise" was not accepted by all organizations and I believe this legislation will be used as another stepping stone for a full inclusion bill next year.

Offline Ceb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »
I just received the EXACT same message from Sen. Forby as Bucksrack7, obviously a generic reply to all those who contacted him in opposition to the crossgun bill. And in that reply he gives his reasoning for the bill. Quote: While I understand your concerns about crossbow hunting, I also have learned that there are some able-bodied people who cannot easily operate a traditional bow, but who are interested in bow hunting. :Unquote, note the words able-bodied, his reasoning for the bill was one of my major arguments against it.

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »
able bodied  but crappy shots, lol... no such thing as an able bodied person not being able to operate a compound bow with any sort of practice.  Now a 'no wheels' bow, sure, I can understand that.

In this case able bodied = too dang lazy to practice.

Offline Cold Weather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2012, 11:40:00 PM »
people all worked up how other people choose to participate in a recreational activity.  funny really
Fox High Sierra
Wes Wallace Mentor
Palmer Custom Carbon
Jim Brackenbury Drifter
21 Century Earth Longbow

Offline Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2012, 07:51:00 AM »
Imagine yourself flyfishing, but the recent reg changes allowed for the use gill nets.  Here you are, enjoying the integrity of flyfishing, but just a few hundred yards away, there are a bunch of guys dragging a net that spans the breadth of the stream.  It's still called fishing right?

That is the basic difference.  It compromises the integrity of the archery season.  You simply cannot compare a device that requires little or no learned skill to master, to one that requires constant practice to remain proficient at.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline Scarne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2012, 06:55:00 PM »
Peeps...

You all have valid points.  Wheel shooters can pretend six ways to Sunday that they are bowhunting, they are not.  There is nothing we can do about it.  And guess what...most of the non hunting public knows they arn't "bowhunting". It's even easier to convey with crossbows.  Use that to your advantage, I have and it has worked out just fine.

The funnest part of all of this is listening to a wheel shooter/crossgunner tell a stick shooter what is and isn't a "bow".

I laugh and laugh...quietly, to myself...as to not damage or demoralize their self esteem.
"A man is best judged by what he does when nobody else is watching."

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »
Let me first be clear that I am not condoning xbows.

A few years ago when I was looking into returning to trad archery I was looking around and doing research when I came upon a boyer (who shall remain nameless) who strictly made self bows and flat bows. His work was exquisite! However, in his comments section he mentioned that those whom use laminate bows were not using true trad gear and only fooling themselves if they thought so.

Shortly after joining the site I noticed a thread about a member making bone and flint heads for his self made bow and self made arrows. After several positive comments towards his craftsmanship (they looked awesome!) he made that statement that in his opinion using only bone or stone tips was the only true way to be a trad hunter and nobody called his bluff on it because he is entitled to his opinion.

In the early conservation days most rifle hunters were using old lever guns, single shots and a few bolt actions. Things like telescopic sights were considered unsporting at best and sacrilegious by many. PA still requires flintlock during the muzzle loader season. But if you trace the history of weapons, particularly firearms, used by hunters you will find they are a few years behind what most of the troops are carrying and used in combat. It happened with the single shot to the lever-action, then bolts guns and now black rifles.

Similarly, when wheel bows were first introduced there were cries from the archery world that the sky was falling, and in some ways it did. Many are not able to effectively shooting trad bows, either by lack of patience or practice time or simple can't get down the instinctive concepts. Others are not satisfied with what they view as iffy performance. Hence the invention of laminate bows and even the recurve. They want that extra 5, 10 or 20 yards range.

I'm not saying go out and buy you an x-bow, or that you must allow them on your lease. What I am saying is that as long as your against something because it's not "traditional", be certain you are also. There are trad hunters that believe the only pure form of trad archery is a flat or self bow shooting wood arrows with a natural broad head.

There are states clamoring to restrict or ban black rifles for hunting anything bigger than a coyote, some even at all.

We're forgetting something majorly important here: we are all hunters, it's a big tent with many styles and not everyone is into the same style. We're in a time now that we are not recruiting enough new hunters of any creed to the woods. If we begin fighting within ourselves we will lose more, and those that never get into the woods at all won't decide to pick up a bow, or maybe a handgun or a smoke pole. Personally, while I find my longbow the most rewarding I still I have no intention of selling any of my hunting rifles, black powder rifles or my wheel  bow because they all have a time and place. I've played with a crossbow, it's not nearly as easy as it's made out to be. It still requires practice and patience. That said I also don't plan on buying one either!

I have family that refuse to use archery of any kind because they are afraid of a poor shot leading to an injured animal suffering needlessly. Does that make them wrong?

My point is we need more hunters and when we fight to stop hunting we do the anti's job for them: effectively stopping hunting.

Sorry for the rant.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline Scarne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
Well...
As I understand it there are now four classifications of "archery".

1.  Primitive: stone points, river cane shafts, wrapped feather, self bows etc.

2. Traditional: Laminated straight or recurve limbs, wood, carbon, aluminum shafting, feathers or vanes, factory glue and store bought stuff.

3. Modern: compound thingys and all the associated bolt on stuff that remove any real strength, skill or dedication to master.

4. Crossbows: horizontal compound thingys with locking triggers and all the above mentioned do-dads plus the luxory of telescopic and laser sites.  True "archery" equipment brought about by the evolution of the compound thingy. 8^)

I think required skill sets for "success" for each catagory are self evident.

Offline doowop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »
If nobody thinks this crossbow thing ain't takin off, the local bow shop is sellin them as fast as they can put them together. Mostly to guys who have never shot a bow before.

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2012, 08:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by doowop:
If nobody thinks this crossbow thing ain't takin off, the local bow shop is sellin them as fast as they can put them together. Mostly to guys who have never shot a bow before.
Sounds a lot like the way interest in bowhunting with a compound bow took off a few decades back.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »
we are not increasing hunters in 99% of the crossbow situations...we are getting firearm hunters that want to increase how long they can hunt with minimal effort...that is not driving up license sales or bringing in archers that would otherwise never hunt.

I have not met one single crossbow hunter that told me they never hunted before in their life until the draw and beauty of the crossbow captivated them to pick it up and start hunting during bow seasons in earnest!

Every single one was either a compound guy and it is treated like anything else they buy and shoot that is popular and fun...could care less about bowhunting as they already shoot compound...this is to just have fun.  The other type is the guy that hunts with shotgun or rifle.....and wants a couple more weeks of hunting but does not want to practice and put the effort in a regular bow....so he picks one up, sights it in, and the next evening is in the tree or blind.

if they have truly NEVER hunted before and the lure of the bolt and crossbow drew them in...I dont want them out there with that thing anyhow....safety, animal anatomy for shot placement, taking care of animal after shot...all those things you dont figure out overnight reading the owners manual.

either way....keep them in firearms seasons where they belong.....
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Scarne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »
There are those that can...and those that can't.  Technology is ALL about dumbing a skill set down to the lowest common denominator.  This typically leads to more revenue.

There is an old saying in business, "cater to the masses, eat with the classes".

What I find humorus is that the wheel shooters think crossbows arn't bows!

Offline LBshooter2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
Can anyone direct me to a P&Y scorer in northern IL?
Thanks.
Barta Bow 50lb @ 28
Bear Kodiak Hunter 50@28
Bear Grizzly 45lb @ 28
Bear Grizzly 50 lb
Joe Walsh Custom LB 52@27
Byron ferguson safari, 66 in 59@28
Predator 55@28
Black Widow SA2 51@28

Offline MERGANZER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2012, 09:52:00 AM »
I would suggest to try and work with those who want to pass the xbow bill instead of butting heads with them throughout the process.  As Mojostik said, its going to pass so get use to the idea of seeing them out there but work hand in hand with those trying to pass it to get something for the trad guys as well.  In the end we are all on the same team when it comes to battleing the anti hunters and HSUS etc.  You might not like it but as posted above its coming.  Good luck.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©