INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Pennsylvania Sunday Hunting Is Possible  (Read 5550 times)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pennsylvania Sunday Hunting Is Possible
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2012, 06:39:00 AM »
Hey coonbait we are almost neighbors, I live in Irwin..

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »
Hey Roy, Grew up and own my business in Greensburg. And I won't hold the Irwin thing against you! LOL
Glenn

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2012, 06:12:00 PM »
LMAO

Offline Alvey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2012, 12:31:00 AM »
I agree with Ron and Bradly.I have freinds that have property that's not posted,that is geting posted if sunday hunting is ever allowed.#2 you cannot compare pa with other state's,pa stands alone when it comes to our hunting heritage.#3 If we walk around pounding our chest demanding what we want as hunters we sent a wrong massage to the nonhunters,besides have we turned in that much of a selfish greed filled society that we can't sacrafice a couple days of hunting so sweet old Mr and Mrs Jones can take a walk in the woods to enjoy the fall foliage without feeling some one is watching then from a tree stand.Sorry about the Rant.peace Brothers.
Hard work spotlights the character of people:some turn up their sleeves,some turn up their noses,and some don’t turn up at all.(Sam Ewing)

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2012, 12:55:00 PM »
PETA and HSUS would be oh so proud of all the people trying to keep the anti-hunting policy of the hunting ban in place. And that's what this is, a hunting ban.

Not allowing Sunday hunting is as big of a reason why less kids are hunting in PA as video games. Shame on anyone who's selfish enough to deny families the chance to hunt on Sundays. If you choose not to hunt, don't. Keep your kids home on the couch on Sundays. But don't do the anti's job for them and promote anti-hunting rules.
To follow the broken logic of Sunday bans, why not ban both Saturdays and Sundays? That would really stick it to those hunters who only have weekends to hunt.

Maybe scouting, mushroom picking, fishing and trapping should be banned on Sundays too?

Even worse, maybe archery practice should be banned on Sunday? Why should one be able to shoot a bow on his property on a Sunday if he can't use a bow to hunt on a Sunday?

You see, banning archery practice on a Sunday is as silly as banning bowhunting on a Sunday, in the deer season.

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2012, 05:04:00 PM »
Alvey are you then saying sweet Mr. & Mrs. Jones should not be allowed to walk their pooch Missy under my treestand on the other six days of the week? Because I sure wouldn't feel right about being inconvienced by them on MY day to look at the foliage! And the worry of losing OUR heritage, We are losing our heritage one kid at a time.
I just can't understand how almost everyother state in the country has Sunday hunting and doesn't have this problem with Mr. & Mrs Jones, Farmers posting their property, kids missing Sunday school, the animals getting a day of rest? A day to rest? What in the world is that!
Glenn

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2012, 07:50:00 PM »
Well said Coonbait ole boy:)

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
Farmers ?! all we deal with are greatful for our support and invite us all days of the week Sundays included. In 40 years of hunting I have never heard of a farmer threateniing such an action - but even if I did I would not be deterred. They simply don't own much land - and PA is "Covered  Up" with State Land full of wild game anyway.

Most of the folks I hunt with and the landowners I work with are Christains. Many of us do a morning prayer and lots of guys even go to church but ALL of us are in the woods Sunday afternoon. One of the Plantations we hunt on does prefer we use Sunday as a day to arrive/depart - scout OK but hunt Monday Through Saturday.

NC, SC, GA, FL, TX, NJ - zero problems with Sunday hunting. For us it is no different than fishing or cooking out with family and friends - good luck with it  :)
<><
<-----------------<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline briarpatch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2012, 08:13:00 AM »
Sunday hunting in NJ, while being a good thing, is not without restriction.  It is archery only, and private property and Wildlife Management Areas only.  The WMA's were purchased, and are currently maintained by hunters money.  I'm in church Sunday morning, and pursuing whitetails Sunday afternoon.

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
Yes good point briarpatch - and I only bowhunt and this is tradgang - NC is bow only I think on Sundays ? - never thought of Sunday hunting in terms of gun hunting?????? we have always done all of our big game hunting with bows since mid 70s - dudes I forgot some guys gun hunt  :) !!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
mojostik guy makes a good point about kids too - for kids Sunday increases their opportunity to have hunt days 100% since basically they are locked in to school schedules. And for the guy who works Monday through Saturday I cannot even comprehend how stupid it would be to deny this guy his 1 day a week to hunt.
<><
<------------------<<<<<<<

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
Your OK Cory, I don't care what the others say about ya  :)

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
Seems like everyone is talking about what is best for the hunter or what is best for the land owner, what is best for everything BUT the animals being hunted. I'd be willing to bet that the PA animals being hunted see more pressure than many other states due to the shear number of hunters in PA. Seems reasonable to conclude that. If those animals we hunt never get a break from hunting pressure, well that just insn't good in my opinion. Why not think about what is "best" for the animals and not what is best in terms for you? Think about it. We as humans don't like to work 7 days a week for weeks on end without a rest. What's wrong with giving the animals we hunt on day without being pressured?
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »
It's kind of like most other things in life these days. It's all about "me" and what benefits "me" the most and what "I" want and how fast can "I" get it. I don't know. Like I said. That's just my 2 cent opinion.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »
Just as when Michigan repealed our old "no sunday hunting" blue laws, there was virtually negative impact by allowing hunting on a Sunday, a Monday or a Thursday.
The ban was based on some religions wanting to tell everyone how to live their lives.
In Michigan, Sunday bans took out a total of 28 days of hunting opportunity, when small gamem turkey and deer seasons were added up.

If anyone cares to notice, in all the places where the Sunday bans have been repealed, the sky has not fallen and the result is families have more opportunities to go and hunt as a family.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »
All one needs to know is that the biggest anti-hunting group, HSUS, is against Sunday hunting. We don't need to know anything more...

Pennsylvania should leave Sundays free of hunting

By Sarah Speed

The demographics of Pennsylvania’s outdoor users have steadily shifted during the last few decades, and that makes our state’s long-standing tradition of prohibiting Sunday hunting increasingly vital.

According to the latest U.S. Fish and Wildlife survey, the number of hunters is declining while the number of wildlife watchers is on the rise. Hunters comprise 11 percent of Pennsylvania’s population while wildlife watchers, those who head into the woods to photograph or just enjoy seeing creatures in the wild, make up 37 percent.

Factor in other outdoor fanciers such as hikers, horseback riders, dog walkers and mountain bikers, and it is clear that maintaining one day a week free from hunting is more important now than ever.

A bill pending in the state Legislature, HB 1760, would upend this tradition and mandate the Pennsylvania Game Commission open Sunday hunting. The idea is shortsighted, selfish and wildly unpopular. Indeed, a Pennsylvania Legislative Budget and Finance Committee survey of hunters found that only half believe that the entire week should belong to them.

The Humane Society of the United States has more than 650,000 supporters in Pennsylvania who, along with other outdoor enthusiasts, believe that Sunday is a day to enjoy nature without concern about the dangers of guns and arrows.

Landowners don’t want yet another day of having to don protective fluorescent orange on their own property so they are not mistaken for game. They don’t want to have their Sundays interrupted by hunters knocking at the door to request access to their land.

When last surveyed, 82 percent of Pennsylvania landowners were opposed to Sunday hunting. The economic consequences are of concern, too. Sunday hunting proponents try to prop up their unpopular idea with imaginary projections of economic gain. But this is simply not the case — far f

Wildlife watchers who enjoy Pennsylvania’s outdoors bring $1.4 billion to our state annually. Tourist wildlife watchers exceed hunters in trip-related spending by more than $20 million each year. Why put these dollars at risk?

Opening Sunday hunting would rob countless outdoor recreationists of the lone day when they are guaranteed piece of mind in the woods. The additional hunting day also would necessitate expanded enforcement efforts. Pennsylvania Game Commission officers are already stretched thin. In these times of limited government resources, we simply can’t afford to heap more mandates on law enforcement.

Tranquil Sundays have become our tradition. A majority of Pennsylvanians, urbanites and rural landowners, like it that way. The Legislature needs to quietly lay this bill to rest and get on with the important challenges that face the state.

Sarah Speed is Pennsylvania state director of The Humane Society of the United States.

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2012, 06:43:00 PM »
Pa Stickbow boy if your so worried about the welfare of the deer and the stress that they're put under you'd think that the one your stratling would still be walking and playing in the clover fields with Thumper and Flower! You chase these deer with a razor sharp stick all week and you're worried about Sunday. I know the deer in my part of the state have picnics away from the everyday worries of survival on my day off. Because all the other dangers leave them alone on the sabith! The deer we hunt in Ohio almost give themselves up to us on Sundays because they can't take the stress. That's just my unsensitive 2 cents!
Glenn

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »
Well, if some of you guys are so worried about giving the deer a day of rest. Why not cut back on your hunting time and give them a few more days of rest? I mean hell, why kill the poor deer on a Monday? Why kill the poor deer on Saturday? And just because some of you guys have a couple days off in the middle of the week, while the rest of us are working to provide for our families, doesn't mean ya should be out there trying to kill them while the rest of us are working. Ya wanna know what it's like to work 6 days a week? Try not hunting all week except for your vacation days.

And what gets me the most here is, if Sunday Hunting ever comes to be in Pa. "MOST" of you nay sayers will be out there Hunting on Sundays. That to me is two faced.

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
Coonbait and Roy, I will choose the high road and not comment. I believe these threads are to throw ideas out there and view others opinions and such. NOT to bash others that may have a different view or thought than you. Admin, correct me if I am wrong on this. I'm done with this thread. Not worth it. Back to the other forums for me.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
If "pressured game" was really the issue, banning Saturday hunting would be the logical choice. But in a world where falling hunter numbers and growing deer herds are among the top concerns, pressured game isn't a legit concern.
Bag limits can be controlled in such a way where hunters still have full opportunity. Banning hunting allows zero opportunity.

If anything, ban Saturday hunting and if some want to also not hunt on Sunday due to religious reasons, they can save their hunting time for the Monday thru Friday work week. But then, that too would be absurd.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©