INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Crossbow usage up in MI. Good or bad for us?  (Read 7066 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Crossbow usage up in MI. Good or bad for us?
« on: February 22, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »
Press Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Feb. 19, 2013

Contact: Brent Rudolph, 517-641-4903; Brian Frawley, 517-241-4169; or
Ed Golder, 517-335-3014

Growing number of Michigan deer hunters give crossbows a try
crossbow hunter afield in tree stand

Although the overall number of hunters in Michigan has been on a slight decline, the Department of Natural Resources reports that a recent deer hunter survey shows growth in one method of deer hunting – crossbows.

In the past, only hunters with disabilities had the option to hunt with a crossbow. Beginning in 2009, crossbows were allowed in most areas of Michigan during the archery deer season in an attempt to expand hunting opportunities, retain existing hunters and recruit new hunters. Crossbow hunters were required to obtain a free crossbow stamp to determine the number of hunters who took advantage of the new method.

In 2009, the opportunity to use a crossbow was extended only to hunters 50 years of age or older in the Upper Peninsula and northern Lower Peninsula, while hunters of any age could use crossbows in the southern Lower Peninsula. In 2010 the age restriction was eliminated statewide.

The archery deer season runs statewide on public and private land and is divided into early and late season segments (Oct. 1 through Nov. 14 and Dec. 1 through Jan. 1). In the Upper Peninsula, crossbows are only allowed to be used in the early archery season.

“We have discovered that in 2011, 25 percent of the crossbow users had not hunted in the archery season in previous years,” said DNR Deer and Elk Program Leader Brent Rudolph. “These hunters were newly recruited or drawn back to the sport of archery hunting.”

The opinion survey also revealed that hunting with a crossbow met most or all of the archers’ expectations, and nearly all crossbow hunters planned to use crossbows again in the future.

The number of hunters who obtained the free crossbow stamp by year is:  

2009 - 45,692
    2010 - 64,340
    2011 - 74,120
    2012 - 88,565

Although the expanded opportunity increased the number of archery hunters, the amount of deer harvested overall during the archery season did not increase each year. Harvest of deer over all seasons combined declined or was similar to previous years.

“With close to 800,000 hunters in Michigan annually, we know deer hunting is a strong tradition held by many,” said DNR Wildlife Division Chief Russ Mason. “The expanded crossbow regulations met all the expectations we hoped for. Our primary goal is to do a good job managing the deer herd, and if new hunting opportunities can also be made, that’s a good thing.”

To view the entire Crossbow Deer Hunter Survey report, go to  www.michigan.gov/hunting  and click on Wildlife Surveys and Reports in the left-hand navigation bar.

Hunters are reminded to fill out their 2012 deer harvest survey by going online to  https://secure1.state.mi.us/deersurvey/.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Crossbow usage up in MI. Good or bad for us?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
A few other interesting tidbits from the report.

"About 74 ± 2% of the hunters (71,305 ± 2,945) using a crossbow in 2011 (excluding hunters having a crossbow permit) had hunted in the archery season during one of the three years prior to authorization of crossbows (i.e., 2006-2008).".

"In addition, about 19 ± 2% (18,731 ± 2,194) of the hunters using a crossbow in 2011 had hunted with firearms only prior to the authorization of crossbows."

"The average age of those using crossbows probably remained higher after 2009 because older hunters were more likely to have some limitations that prevented them from using other types of bows."

Offline Cold Weather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 10:46:00 AM »
I dont know if I would frame it GOOD or BAD

lots of people want a choice, and there is nothing wrong with using a xbow, or a compound, or a traditional bow.

I just purchased  a Wallace Mentor, and I have a Fox High Sierra on order.

likely will add a Trinity Rogue Longbow

additionally have 2 other custom recurves, and a custom longbow

and, have 3 high end compounds and an Excalibur Xbow

enjoy them all-and hunt with them all.
Fox High Sierra
Wes Wallace Mentor
Palmer Custom Carbon
Jim Brackenbury Drifter
21 Century Earth Longbow

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 08:19:00 AM »
Good or Bad: hard to see any difference or much difference in a modern compound crossbow and a modern compound bow? Those statistics show that the crossbow allows/creates opportunity for people to hunt during bow season without using a bow - can't see an upside to that. It does look like at this point some of those numbers are just people moving around. Hunter numbers dropping is a cultural and access issue. A guy switching from rifle or compound to compound crossbow is just more exploitation and degradation of archery only seasons.
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 07:22:00 PM »
The problem with crossbows in Michigan are the numbers are WRONG!. Skewed, misrepresented, mistaken, or falsely reported....

Crossbows literally took over in Michigan. My local archery league that was held every winter DIED because of how everyone began hunting with crossbows. These are SERIOUS hunters who used to shoot their bows to keep skills honed for hunting as well as fun. A scope sighted crossbow requires little practice.

I spoke with many hunters I know, and they reported to me the crossbow is DEADLY. The things are cumbersome, but you can adapt and many people I spoke with hunted with them from the same shacks they use during firearms season.

The success ratio with crossbows has skyrocketed REGARDLESS of what any numbers brought forth by our DNR may show.How many deer have escaped because you couldn`t draw your bow?

I personally know a fella who had never killed a deer with a bow after trying bowhunting off and on for years. He managed two bucks on the ground in the first few days of our archery season, and this was with a crossbow he bought and shot only TWICE in practice!

Michigan has alot of bowhunters, and the numbers who are using crossbows are way more than what is being reported, and in my opinion our DNR is fully aware of it...AND what it means as far as bowhunting is concerned.

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
Very Disturbing from the Wisconsin perspective and what could be our archery future.

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 10:25:00 AM »
Very disturbing indeed.  For years, the data collected has been twisted and skewed to make the crossbow seem like the second coming and savior of the hunting legacy.  What is also concerning is the con being purported that states that a crossbow is just like a compound as well.  "Horizontal bowhunting"
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline mtnman1945

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 12:16:00 PM »
It doesn't take much skill to harvest a deer with a Xbow, rifle, inline smoke pole with a scope or in my way of thinking a compound bow with its peep sights, scopes, whisker biscuits and such. Sorry If this offends some it just my thoughts and those that choose to use these have that right. When I started hunting with my bow in the late 50s. I hardly every saw another hunter. The ones that did hunt had good archery skills, if you didn't you were out of luck.  I knew alot of guys that didn't hunt with a bow because it required skill and practice.  As soon as the compound bow came out these same guys found that it didn't take as much work to become good enough to harvest a deer. So they filled up the woods and called themselves Bowyers.  I don't think so.
Surrender is not a Ranger word.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 07:15:00 PM »
I'll say BAD, piss poor excuse for bowhunting.

Eric

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 01:19:00 PM »
Definetely bad for us if crossbows are regulated by the same means and season as traditional bows

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 08:18:00 PM »
I got beat up on in the last X-bow thread... but... you know our long archery seasons are in part based on the fact that we are not all that successful so we are granted long seasons.  I fear that with X-bows, the success rate will go way up there for the DOW will need to shorten our seasons...to be more like the short seasons for guns ...  just saying that would be BAD.
Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »
Very good point Joe.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Cold Weather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by joe ashton:
I got beat up on in the last X-bow thread... but... you know our long archery seasons are in part based on the fact that we are not all that successful so we are granted long seasons.  I fear that with X-bows, the success rate will go way up there for the DOW will need to shorten our seasons...to be more like the short seasons for guns ...  just saying that would be BAD.
Joe
it's an old line that never comes true.

http://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/images/Crossbow_Seasons_Maps_US_Mar13_current.JPG

provides a map of crossbows in archery seasons..now please show where this shortened season has happened.

this is why crossbow use in part keeps expanding, because it keeps more people in the game, and there are no delerious effects.
Fox High Sierra
Wes Wallace Mentor
Palmer Custom Carbon
Jim Brackenbury Drifter
21 Century Earth Longbow

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 11:24:00 PM »
x-bows suck. They're for the lazy ass people who don't want to practice or say they have no time to do so. If they use a firearm, they're most likely not better hunters as with a x-bow. Only relying on the range and ease of use of their weapon and not on their skills. What to expect nowadays? On my land no x-bows, no compounds, no modern firearms.

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 04:46:00 PM »
There are two distinct variables that effect harvest rates (if all else is held equal) 1) the weapon 2) the hunter

1) The weapon.  It is clear that a crossbow is easier to shoot, they have a longer range and have higher KE.  I don't think anyone can argue those simple facts.  With a longer range, easier to shoot weapon with higher KE energy, it makes it more likely to put a lethal shot into an animal.  

2) The hunter.  And of course, this is my opinion and more subjective than the first point.  A person who chooses to hunt with a crossbow is one who chooses a quicker and easier way to harvest.  I am not saying that is a bad or good thing, but a person who will jump on easy and quick is more likely to lack the characteristics of commitment and patience,   As such, I would think those hunters would 1) hunt less often, and 2) give up quicker when tracking a wounded animal.   Hunting less often, and not shortened tracking times lead to less harvests.  

I do believe that item #2 is really the reason behind states with less significant, short term harvest impacts.  So if harvest rates don't skyrocket immediately....why do we even care?  I will point out two reasons:

What we can't determine at this point, is how much crossbows will take off given the massive marketing dollars spent by manufacturers, and then what that compounding effect will be on harvest rates.  Cold Weather if you have a spreadsheet with crossbow sales growth, please post it.  This is the reason we need to regulate these things separately.   Second, longer term, what skill set and characteristics do we want to instill in new bowhunters....is it anything goes, quick and easy is fine? or is there a different set of values we should aim for (and can a traditional equipment type help with instilling those values).

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
Doug, of course it hasn't happend. .  yet.  The use of crossbows is in its infancy in most places and there are a ton of deer currently.  That wasn't always the case in MY lifetime and it won't be again in my life time.

My concern is for the future.  Since that hasn't happened yet it is a bit difficult to provide you with those facts. .  just yet.

I believe it will.  In my life time.  That is why I am adamant against simply incorporating them into the archery season.

From everything I read about the McAlester hunt, they kept tight record of the number of hours hunted, the number of sightings, shots hits/misses, the number of yards for recovery of animals etc etc.  

As I recall,this hunt has been going on for a long long time,  they allowed compounds in, early on, and very shortly dissallowed them (correct me please if I am recollecting incorrectly)and the reason was that they allowed too high a success rate and at that success rate this hunt was not sustainable.  

That was early compounds.  Heck they are twice as fast and deadly weapons now.  I believe crossbows allow even more ease of use, whether they are "better" or "just as good" as compounds is not really a material worry.  They allow some person to pick on up and shoot, period, almost no movement, or. . heck, even skill is required

More and more folks are becoming "bowhunters", for whatever their reason, and frankly, I for one don't believe we need the numbers.  There are already way too many in any of the woods around here.  

Seems half of them have never actually killed a deer (and found it) but boy they read about it and are now experts.  They constantly look for the easy way around it and they sure have a ton to say about my choice of "inefficient, old fashioned" equipment.

I have nothing against cross bows, but I myself do not call them bows, and I myself think that if allowed, they should have their own season, whatever it is, so that they and their harvests are counted separately and judged separately.
ChuckC

Offline Cold Weather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 11:37:00 PM »
bjansen

maybe we should regulate compound bows with sights, release aids, laser rangefinders, shoot through blinds etc as well.

towards "skill set and characteristics" you seem to neglect to realize that archery and bowhunting are recreational activities.  People do them for fun.

towards your "harvest" ideas related to using xbows, you have many examples to actually demonstrate your claims:

xbows in archery seasons in Ohio, WY

in Canada, been in the archery seasons in Ont and BC for 30 plus years.

and none of your so called claims have ever happened.  Really, its marvelous you spout this, because it  never happens.

I note how you claim xbow archers are somehow less dedicated.  Hmmm..I use an xbow, but also have 3 high end compounds and 3 custom recurves with a 4th on order, and a custom longbow.  Been in archery 40 plus years.

Got a good friend of mine who is a dedicated traditional archer.  Owns 15 or so stickbows, one compound, and ONE xbow.  He hunts mostly with the traditional tackle, but does carry his xbow as well.  Been in archery over 50 years...

tell me, what exact experience do you have with xbows?   Ever shot one, or carried one in the woods?
Fox High Sierra
Wes Wallace Mentor
Palmer Custom Carbon
Jim Brackenbury Drifter
21 Century Earth Longbow

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 09:45:00 PM »
Good for Canada,  that is a great place for crossbows.  Keep them up there.
ChuckC

Offline Broke N Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 12:19:00 PM »
As far as i am conserned the crossbow for the handicaped is ok and good for getting and keeping people in the woods.. all the a crossbow does and even compounds to some extent is for people that just wanna go kill something without practicing..traditional archery is more than that..its a culture all iits own..its family..its coming together for 3d shoots its campfires and stories about the one that got close but didnt get a shot at..its bigger than the animal u shot at 60 yards.. its so much bigger than what the wheelly guys have made it.. its not so much about the size of the rack..its about backstrapes over an open fire with good friends and the stars above on a cool autumn night just before u crawl into a sleeping bag somewhere in Gods beautiful wilderness antisipating the next day and the one that got away..
Stand at the crossroads and look, seek for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is,and walk in it, and you will find rest for your soul....Scroll of Joshua

Offline Broke N Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2013, 11:04:00 AM »
I agree with Chuck a crossbow is not a bow..Its a gun without a bang..400 fps thats a humane kill but where is the skill..anyone can walk into a sporting goods store buy one and with basic instructions shoot something.. there is something about the simplicity of a stick and a string and an arrow..no whisles and bells..no lazer sights scopes or trigger releases or,range finders to complicate the one real thing..you and the animal and the experience of getting close..it worked for the indians and they survived..Im for the simpler times before things got so confussing..as for me I will never own a crossbow or a compond.
Stand at the crossroads and look, seek for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is,and walk in it, and you will find rest for your soul....Scroll of Joshua

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©