3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Drones for bow hunting????  (Read 8373 times)

Offline 14mpg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Drones for bow hunting????
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 03:17:00 AM »
Pretty sure I heard a story about some peta members harassing some gun hunters with a drone, which promptly got shot down. Not sure of the details though
Grit + Grain Flooring
Eugene, Or

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 08:17:00 AM »
I think they would be cool.  Not only could we find game outright, we can outfit them with the most current heat seek technology so we can find the critters day or night.  

Think about using it to find bedding AND feeding areas.  Then, you can send it beyond the critter and have a round up, driving it past the hunters.  

Then,  we can make a set up where the unit is equipped with a small version of a crossbow, powered by compressed gas or a small explosive device.  

We don't even have to go outside in the cold or rain.

This is getting better and better.

And use the heat signature to find the critter and mark it using GPS technology so we can find it.  

Then we can send out a remote controlled 4 wheeler complete with hook arm to drag the critter out of the woods and put it into the back of the pick up so we can drive around and show everybody what we got.

I love the future.

So, since I will be sitting on my. . backside doing all of this,  Is a 20# bow enough to kill a deer ?
ChuckC

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2014, 10:27:00 AM »
only if you use a draw-loc, expandable head, ILF with laser range finder and sighting setup that shoots over 250fps.  :)
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2014, 01:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by 14mpg:
Pretty sure I heard a story about some peta members harassing some gun hunters with a drone, which promptly got shot down. Not sure of the details though
Sounds like good practice for wing shooting.    :biglaugh:
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2024, 01:13:44 PM »
What ever became of this? Anyone?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2024, 02:20:19 PM »
Im with Blackhawk.  No drones or cams but baiting is ok :biglaugh:
T ZZZZ

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2024, 05:43:55 PM »
"Last I heard the FAA hasn't approved the use of drones at all, so maybe we're getting worked up over nothing...p&y seems.to be making a statement about a controversy that doesn't actually exist."

Legal use of drones for profile is the thing the FAA is talking about, and I believe you have to get a pilots license, at least in TX.  Also, permission to fly over private property is needed.  Shooting them down is not a good option any more than shooting at aircraft flying over your property.  FAA gets real excited about that.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:

« Last Edit: July 29, 2024, 05:51:55 PM by Wudstix »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2024, 05:56:23 PM »
My buddy wanted to bring his new drone moose hunting a few years ago. Just to scout the area he said. I asked him to leave it at home.
I said to him, while “ just scouting “ an area he already knows well, he spots a good bull and next day that’s where he’s hunting. Where is the fun in that?
He left it at home.
I’m not a fan of drones and I would happily shoot one down if it got close enough to bother me. A flu flu with a bullhead would work fine.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2024, 05:58:21 PM »
Last I heard the FAA hasn't approved the use of drones at all, so maybe we're getting worked up over nothing...p&y seems.to be making a statement about a controversy that doesn't actually exist.

Wud, that was posted in 2014.  So, not sure what the rulings are now.  Don't even know why I'm interested as I've never owned a drone.  :smileystooges:

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2024, 06:31:46 PM »
Illegal in Alaska.  Per the ADF&G website:  https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlifenews.view_article&articles_id=908

-------------->
... the current regulations state that “You may not take game by…using…any device that has been airborne, remotely controlled, or communicates wirelessly, and used to spot or locate game with the use of a camera or video device…”

“Take” is not simply harvesting an animal. According to Alaska Statutes (AS 16.05.940(35) “take” means taking, pursuing, hunting, fishing, trapping, or in any manner disturbing, capturing, or killing or attempting to take, pursue, hunt, fish, trap, or in any manner capture or kill fish or game.
<--------------
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Online Spottedwolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2024, 06:55:13 PM »
I think that a number of hunters don't want to spend the time in the woods to learn how to read and interpret animal signs anymore and that is a awesome feeling when it all comes together and you're successful in taking that animal you are hunting. Seems like to me they are looking to take shortcuts and not put in the time and effort.
Cari-Bow Slynx 60"/49 lbs.@28"
Horne Brushbow 62"/51 lbs@29"
BW LAG 66"/56 lbs.@29"
Poison Dart 62"/46 lbs.@29"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2024, 07:10:56 PM »
I don't believe the drones will take the place of boot leather scouting ever. Drones are not 'hands on'.

I remember a place we went to a few years ago in TX and he outfitter had a young camp/ranch hunter that would check the feeders and the cameras at the feeders.  He told out group that we didn't need to go out until about 4 oclock because they weren't  moving until 4:30. When I inquired how he knew that, his reply was that that's when the feeders went off and the camera pics proved it. Well, I told the group not to worry, just be ready for them to move at 9AM till dark.

Everyone saw javies morning and afternoon, and no one killed one at a feeder.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2024, 07:22:23 PM »
No drones or trail cameras, but baiting with donuts and corn is just fine...    :confused:

Everything mentioned is the same. It takes the hunter away from the equation and lessens the accomplishment. Why would we do things the “hard way” yet do everything possible to make that easier?
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2024, 08:03:09 PM »
Dudes with technology you need to think out of the box, I’m waiting for the drone that can spray doe p and grunt for deer or make sounds when I predator call, all the while I’m moving the drone closer to my shooting position. Sounds wacky but I bet it’s closer than you think.

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2024, 08:57:50 PM »
I'm getting one of those one that Amazon used for their deliveries to take to Idaho this fall so that I can fly my pack and camp to the top of the mountain and don't have to carry it up there myself! It will make my workout program a lot easier now since all I have to do is workout my thumbs.

In all seriousness, I don't think drones are legal for locating game in any states. I haven't heard much about that in a long time, and I think it's pretty well accepted across the board that locating game with a drone is not ok. In Michigan, there are services, similar to tracking dogs, where they can come in and find your deer for you if the dog doesn't work. However, since this would be considered locating game, they can't legally tell you where the deer is, only tell you that it's dead.

Online JR Chambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2024, 10:32:26 PM »
How can you prevent someone from using a drone? Just think how easy it will be to find a dead deer. I am against them

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2024, 04:30:49 PM »
Fishing is experiencing the same issue with live sonar technology that hunting is with drones and thermals.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2024, 04:48:04 PM »
They are being used to locate dead deer now. There is an Amish group in Ohio big into it and getting folks involved in other States. Look it up, big business. North of $500 to look for your deer with it. I know of a guy in Indiana that called one of them in, found the deer pretty quickly. Deer hunting has become high dollar, the deer farmers won’t blink an eye.

R

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2024, 05:02:39 PM »
Ozy, what are thermals?  I mean by what you are saying, not the true meaning.

Ryan, yes, it has become high dollar for some.  Can't find deer with out tech, can't hunt deer without tech, can't shoot dear without tech, can't find your way without tech, now can't find deer without tech.

Yep, sounds like a video game.  :saywhat:

Offline Bobby Sikes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2024, 06:44:25 PM »
This stuff is going on now in professional bass fishing.  I got out years ago as the writing was on the wall.  All the guys that spent years learning to put the puzzle together are getting out. Why? Forward facing sonar.  Now you just buy the puzzle pre-assembled and now you just buy a frame.

Very soon there will be a generation that cannot live without technology.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©