3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Modifying HH dished grip  (Read 1791 times)

Offline chris_qc

• Trad Bowhunter
Modifying HH dished grip
« on: February 02, 2007, 11:20:00 AM »
Hello,

I have a 70" HH style longbow with a dished grip that pulls 60# at my 29" draw lenght. I've always found the grip borderline confortable but now, having shot a recurve for a while, I'm thinking about modifying it.

Any pros and con about rasping the grip to a locator style ?

Any pictures of existing HH-ish longbows with a locator grip for inspiration ?

Thanks,

Chris

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Modifying HH dished grip
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 11:30:00 AM »
Chris,

I have a Howard Hill Tembo that was built in 1977. It had a dished grip and I changed it to a locator style with a rasp and some sand paper. I didn't change it much, but it's more like my other bows now. Mine is 57# @ 28" so I felt it wasn't too much weight in draw to take a little out of the handle. Of course every bow is different. I refinished the section I rasped and put a new leather grip on and it seems to be holding up fine.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 11:36:00 AM »
There are several here  http://www.howardhillshooters.com/

for you to look at. Good luck!
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »
I discussed changing one of the real deep straight grips with Craig.  He encouraged me to go ahead and do it.  I didn't because i had someone interested in the bow, but it didn't look like too daunting a wood project.

if you want to see a lot of Hills, with closeups of the grips, check out the Hill Showcase at

www.howardhillshooters.com

I think it's about five links down.

dick in seattle
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 12:46:00 PM »
I did this with a knight excaliber.  It came out ok though I shouldnt have taken so much off.  If I'd do it again I'd take just enough to get the start of a locator grip and build up the heel area with a strip or three of some thin leather and rasp that down instead of completely altering the grip.   I'm glad I did it and still own that bow.

Offline chris_qc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 01:02:00 PM »
Thanks for the info and links guys.

I have another question : should de vertical pressure axis (the pressure point on the bow hand) be in the center of the bow or off-center ? The pressure axis on my grip (right handed) is, when looking at the belly, off-center to the right.

Chris,

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 03:42:00 PM »
Chris:
Instead of altering the grip, why not just learn to grip it properly, it will make a difference.
If you shoot right handed just rotate your left hand to the left a little until the large knuckle of the thumb is almost in line with the center line of the limb. Take the pressure off the life line of the hand. This does several things, it straightens the wrist making it more in line with the forearm. Moves the forearm out of the way of the bow string. and makes the grip comfortable.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 05:14:00 PM »
Aromakr,
That is how i have been shooting my Hills, i have a straight grip on both my hands are small. But with that hold it feels fine.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 03:43:00 AM »
You can use epoxy putty to build up the grip to more of a recurve style.and cover it up with leather after the fit is fine.
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline chris_qc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 09:17:00 AM »
Thanks for the tip Bob. I'll try it before going away at my bow with a rasp.

Chris

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 09:27:00 AM »
I think that Craig will change the grip for like $10 or something real cheap. You may want to shoot him an e-mail.

Offline chris_qc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 10:51:00 AM »
BobCo,

Excuse my ignorance but who is Craig ? Is he the owner of Howard Hill Archery ?

Chris,

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 12:12:00 PM »
Craig Ekin is the owner of HH Archery, and its bowyer.  He's a really nice, helpful guy.

As to the grips, I have preferred the locator, but just recently learned to handle the straight grips, and feel that I might even grow to prefer them.  The key is not getting one that is too deep for your grip.  I took a digital micrometer to a number of them and found that I really like about 1.75" of grip depth and could handle up to about 1.9".  More than that was just plain awkward for me and my small hand.

Here is a link to a comparison of grip depth on two bows:

http://www.howardhillshooters.com/hhbows/dickcheetahandwesley/dickcheetahwesley.html

Links usually behave here, but if it doesn't, it's a page on the hhshooters site reached as follows:

www.hhshooters.com   then Howard Hill Bows Showcase  then  Cheetah and Clear Glass Wesley - Dick Wightman

Very good pix of a normal straight grip and an extra deep one.

Dick in Seattle
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 10:36:00 AM »
Yes Chris as Dick has mentioned, he is the Bowyer at HH Archery. Here is his e-mail address:

[email protected]

I inquired one time not long ago about having him change a straight grip to a locator. Below is my e-mail correspondance with him.

Hi Craig,
Could you tell me the price (including shipping) to reshape a straight handle on a 70”  Big Five  to a Locator Grip?
Thanks,
Bob
Hi Bob:
The cost would be $10 as long as we don't have to refinish the bow.....and normally we don't with a handle change. The only additional cost would be if the handle was laced....then it would be $10 more for that. The shipping would be $18.
So I would expect it to cost $28 without lacing or $38 with.

Craig

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©