3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: why so many use bow-racks - I dont understand?  (Read 1184 times)

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
why so many use bow-racks - I dont understand?
« on: January 14, 2008, 11:38:00 PM »
I have been meaning to ask this question for a while, but have not had the time.  I am still on hodiday so now is a good time to ponder such weighty issues!#$%?!

Why do so many of you hang your bows on display on bow-racks?  I would like to do the same but you may not realise what is happening to your bows.

Nobody is stupid enough to hang a bow in direct sunlight, but even a bow hanging in a lighted room will be affected by the UV.

I would like to think it is a Southern Hemisphere thing - the sun being stronger down in Australia - but me thinks not!!

About 18 months ago I received a bow from Mark Hornes - it was one of his stock bows and he said it had been on dispaly for a few months.  Where the limbs touched the riser (where daylight was unable to enter), the Osage was a beautiful bright orange/yellow.  The Purpleheart was a very bright clear punchy purple.

However - in that short time - the rest of the bow looked quite different.  The Osage had gone a muddy mustard colour and the Purpleheart was really dark and had lots its punchy contrast.

I am sure Mark did not have it hanging in direct sunlight - so there is an example of how quickly your bows will change colour.

I grimace when I read the enthusiasm of new bow owners showing pic's of their gorgeous new purchase, the shiny new colours of freshly hewn timber leaping from the screen  - then they go and stick it on a bow rack!#$%!%%^

They probably don't realise in a few years time they will be holding a dark homologous blob - a sad effigy of their once beautiful creation.

Except when I am shooting my bows - they are always stored in their sock, wrapped in a thick blanket and stored in a dark cool place.  All of my bows still exhibit the same gorgeous hues as they did when new.

I am interersted to read other folk's observations.  Is this a valid point or do I have too much time on my hands!#$^???

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: why so many use bow-racks - I dont understand?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 11:46:00 PM »
Sutto, not sure of all the other woods, but I know Osage turns darker with time.  I had a Widow with Osage limbs that was bright, bright yellow when I got it and in only two weeks or so it had started to get darker.  I personally like the looks of it better when it turns that nice honey brown.  BTW, I store my longbows in socks and in a hard case that goes under my bed...Mike

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 11:49:00 PM »
Most bow woods will darken a little over time, but you just happened to pick two woods that darken a lot, and they do it fairly quickly.  You can expect your purpleheart to turn a purply black, and the osage will go to brown.  A little more subdued, but still a nice look, don't you think.

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »
Yep Osage will darken with time.
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 12:31:00 AM »
Thanks suttoman!!  You have been a big help.    :bigsmyl:
Lon Scott

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 12:53:00 AM »
Suttoman...to answer your question...Yes you have too much time on your hands.

The changing of the color, especially Osage and heartpine, is one of the main reasons for having it.  You must have been in your closet with your bows.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 02:07:00 AM »
I love the 'aged' look' and some 'use' marks add character.

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 02:24:00 AM »
yep.I have an osage flatbow that is older,and it's as dark as can be. Looks good,and it's the natural aging of osage.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 04:54:00 AM »
Any of ya'all got a newer Black Widow with Osage knows huh??? Risers turn real dark,but the limbs do not match.Usely the limbs are much lighter in color do to the fact the clear fiberglass on the limbs is blocking the UV's from getting to the Osage in the limb laminations.However most bowyers do not use a finish that contains a UV blocker...UV blocker clear finishes are a little more expensive and harder to work with too.But will prevent discolorastion of any wooods..bowdoc

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 06:12:00 AM »
Speaking for myself, I beleive that as is the case with good dogs, "good" bows have earned the right to hang out with the rest of the family in the great room or den. Surely my mounts would hold up better wrapped in a blanket and stored in a dark closet too, but it my view, they have also earned the right to "hang out" in the great room where they are frequently and deservedly honored.

Life's for living! If your favorite bow "goes dark" on you, just buy another bow...
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 06:43:00 AM »
I like the "honey" color of older osage so much whenever I use it in a bow I'll put it back in my oven with one light bulb on.  After a day or two it will look quite a bit more aged.  Then I'll go ahead and spray it and finish it out.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 07:27:00 AM »
Like said earlier...some woods change a lot fast when exposed to light.

Although most don't darken that fast....and, most get a richer look to me...and are more beautiful.

I like em on my bow rack so's I can view them, and other's can see them as well.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 07:42:00 AM »
Not pressed about it. I keep my bows on the rack, always have, and some of them are 40+ years old. They are tools to help me fill the freezer and feed my family. Doesn't mean I'll be pole vaulting creeks with them but I don't baby them either. Beside's, the boys like showing off our bows to their friends, whenever they get the chance.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 08:02:00 AM »
I actually look forward to my new bows"aging" if you will. Love the old Osage and yew look. Curious to see how the new juniper will age.
DonD

Offline Tater 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 08:04:00 AM »
I love the look of seasoned Osage a nice caramel/honey hue to it. I have a couple of Osage Longbows that are approaching 15 years old and I think of them as a fine wine just gettin' better with age.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
PBS Associate
Colorado Bowhunters Association

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 08:33:00 AM »
I think new osage is not appealing.  In contrast the older it is the better it looks!  That deep honey color sure is sweet.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 08:37:00 AM »
suttoman, that is good food for thought. However, my newest recurve or longbow is 33 years old. I would imagine if the woods were gonna "turn" they'd have done it by now.

They are part of who I am, and getting do go down to the "man cave" and just grab one off the rack for a moment or two keeps me sane.

One thing that I do though is turn them every month to show another side, or move them to a different rack. I'm pretty much with JL on this one, and a famous quote from a movie comes to mind, "nobody puts Baby in a corner".

Just my .02

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 08:40:00 AM »
I love old osage...and love my racks to diplay my bows...Mine look just fine... :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 08:44:00 AM »
Another vote for the thought of getting better with age.  I like aged osage better than new, and other woods as well.  The colors might not be quite as bright, but I think they take on a more refined look with age.
My wife looks different than she did when she was young, but I still like the way she looks and don't keep her in the closet  :bigsmyl:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline jimbob91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 09:01:00 AM »
I presently keep my bows in their socks in my basement.I have awoodburner that keeps it about 80plus down there is that bad?
Live your life today like your going to meet God tommorrow!You just might!****GO VIKES****

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©