3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: reflex/deflex vs reflex.. bowyers?  (Read 279 times)

Offline brent d.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
reflex/deflex vs reflex.. bowyers?
« on: January 15, 2008, 09:44:00 AM »
I have built about 10 bows or so including a couple of reflex deflex bows. Out of all the bows only two were bows that I would hunt with. SOme ended up light and some broke. Both shooters (hickory backed hickory and the other was hickory backed bulletwood) were reflexed around 3" after gluing.

My question: What is the design advantage of putting that extra curve in there on a R/D? Handshock? Speed?

I have a new belly and backing and I was thinking about reflexing the glue-up 3" but also cutting a kerf into the end to install a thin insert and try to recurve the tips a bit. Any idea how this will effect the shooting qualities? And will the cut at the tip be sufficient  with a single pass on a bandsaw?

thanks for any help.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline ONE SHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: reflex/deflex vs reflex.. bowyers?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 10:29:00 AM »
Contact Dean Torges about putting the kerf on the limb tips, Dean is a member here on Trad. Gang. Iam sure He will be more than willing to give you good sound advice He has HELPED Me many times in My Bow making adventures....ONE SHOT...  :)    :)    :)    :D

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 11:29:00 AM »
Over simplifying a bit---Deflexing off the handle adds smoothness to the feel of the bow and reduces fingerpinch at full draw while making the bow easier to string. Reflex increases preload,which allows more energy storage thus adding arrow speed but can reduce "stability" making the bow harder to shoot as consistently. The Deflex/Reflex profile is merely a compromise trying to pick up  advantages while cancelling some of the disadvantages.... And it works pretty well. A Deflex/reflex will handle like a longer straight limbed bow while shooting faster than  a longer straight limb (assuming it is all done "right").

Offline brent d.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 01:49:00 PM »
Thanks, Tree.
I have a harder time tillering R/D bows. I think that one of my problems is that I need to get it bending more before I even put it up on the tillering tree. I always catch myself trying to tiller out that curve in the middle of the limb.   :banghead:  

I intend to make a thickness sander from my drill press before my next bow so that I may taper the belly some for better bending and hopefully make laminations.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©