3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ultimate squirrel/bunny thumper  (Read 762 times)

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
ultimate squirrel/bunny thumper
« on: January 15, 2008, 12:50:00 PM »
Was bored so I took a 160 gr. field point and cut end off w/dremel and drilled out to where a carbon insert would sit flush up to shoulder. Then cut off insert about a 1/4 in. behind shoulder so broadhead insert would fit in field point, took a 125 gr. judo and cut off threaded portion and hot glued everything together, ended up with a 295 gr. judo that hits like a freight train on my bag target in basement. May take it bunny hunting tomorrow with my beagles and try it out.This should put some serious hurt on any squirrel or bunny it meets..This might even be better to just cut field tip off to fit back of judo and then drill out and thread it to where field tip would screw in. [/url] [/IMG]  [/url] [/IMG]  [/url] [/IMG]
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline Ketzi

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ultimate squirrel/bunny thumper
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 01:17:00 PM »
Wow!!!! Great work. I don`t wanna be on the bad end of it...

By the way: You`re sure you will take this thing out for small gane? You`re sure you didn`t mean small cars or so?  ;)
On the 7th day god created the bow to allow us to defend ourselves against the wicked dinosaurs    ;)

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 01:35:00 PM »
Ketzi, went out and shot my foam pig target and it penetrates 3 in. into the target from 15 yds. so it might do a little damage to small cars...  :bigsmyl:

Offline deerfly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 01:43:00 PM »
Looks like quite an engineering job. I've had mixed results with judo type points in tangly brush and such. Some twig, vine or other unseen thing tends to grab those wires before the arrow get where I want it. With all that weight though, maybe that thing will punch right through all but the toughest snags. - eric

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 01:47:00 PM »
I got bored a couple weeks ago myself, please pardon me as I don't want to steal your thread. And I like your point!! But I'll share my boredom with you!  :D  125gr blunt drilled and tapped 8/32 with a 8/32 wingnut and a 75gr field point total weight about 245 grs.

The hormoanally happy ragit smacker

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 01:58:00 PM »
hey brent that looks mean real mean LOL!!!
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 02:07:00 PM »
Brent, nice looking head how does it fly?

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 02:26:00 PM »
Dean I'm not sure yet,and have not field tested them myself. I made them on my lathe and they spin true. I sent some down to Curtis (Littlefeather) he is testing them for results maybe as we type!  :D  
I think there weak link will be where the field point shank meets the wingnut. Like they will bend there. I'm going to make somemore up and harden them.

Once again sorry as I surely don't want to mess up your thread  :notworthy:  

Dean send me a PM with a address and when I make some more up I will send you a couple.

Brent

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 03:11:00 PM »
Dean, that is one mean looking head.  Need to post some pics when you connect.  dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 07:33:00 PM »
BRENT, WILL DO HERE SHORTLY.. THANKS,DEAN

DINO,WILL BE SURE TO POST SOME..GOING HUNTING IN THE MORNING SO GOPEFULLY WILL CONNECT. SORRY FOR CAPS.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 07:38:00 PM »
Brent, just a thought but how about cutting threads off field point, drill out blunt and jb weld point and wing nut to blunt, or use clear epoxy, or rethread the field point on a shorter shank that would stiffen it up alot...just a thought.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »
Another version of a heavy judo... This one weighs 200 grns.  

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 09:34:00 PM »
Pat, nice is it threaded also?

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »
That is a great idea Dean and may work better. My orignal thought if I ever had one  :thumbsup:

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 09:41:00 PM »
Dean, ya can take a 100 grain brass insert and 100 grain bh adapter and glue on a 125 grain judo for 325 point weight as I see you shoot carbons. Good point but a lot of work to arrive at that 295 grains. Shawn
Shawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »
Good point Shawn never thought of that..  :knothead:

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
I like it, I don't wanna have to buy (read:cant afford  :rolleyes: ) inserts, adapters, and glue on heads.  I do however have old field points, and screw in judos, and a drill press.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 02:33:00 PM »
Well shot a bunny this morning sitting under a brushpile, all I could see was what looked like was the center of his body, had about  a 2 in. hole to shoot through. I shot him and figured that was it but he came out of the pile dragging arrow which went in at least 3 in. as there was blood 6 in. up on arrow, took off running arrow came out after 10 yds. and he took off full speed through woods with dogs running him. After about 100 yds or so they stopped barking so figured they found him dead, went up there no rabbit, never did find him or a blood trail.Shot him with the 300 gr. judo, it punched about a 1 in. hole through his center mass and he still got away, Ive probably killed 2-3 thousand rabbits in my life and have never had one run that far with a hole in them like that and not find them. My friend did end up getting one with shotgun and missed another..seen 4-5 others but no shots.Could only hunt 2-3 hrs. as all my dogs are getting too old to hunt very long.

Offline Eastern fisher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 02:36:00 PM »
Those are going to leave a mark!
A bad day of hunting is still far better than a good day at work.

Offline jeff / sc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 03:00:00 PM »
At least the arrow fell out, using judo points, we've lost a bunch of rabbits AND arrows.  That's using a 135 gr judo mounted on 125 gr steel adpter for 260 gr total point wt.  If the situation will allow you to do it safely...sharp broadheads are the way to go.  I have seen a rabbit shot with a dull broadhead run off with the arrow...to be found 2 - 3 hrs later...still alive and had to be shot again.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©