3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tell me about Filson cruisers and double cruisers  (Read 1386 times)

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
Tell me about Filson cruisers and double cruisers
« on: January 15, 2008, 02:35:00 PM »
I'm looking at Filson cruisers, stuff of legend.

Who uses them? Why? Are they really that good?

I love to hunt in the cold but I'm a puss, and when it gets too cold, I'm done. Are these really worth the money, and are they bow friendly, shooting wise?

Offline bowbert

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tell me about Filson cruisers and double cruisers
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 02:43:00 PM »
Filson makes great stuff.  I've own both a cruiser and double cruiser.  With layering, they are some of the warmest duds.  I don't, however, bowhunt with the cruiser(s).  They are too constricting for me.  I use the bibs for bowhunting, and wear something less bulky up top.  I haven't used the Filson bowhunting jacket yet, that might be the ticket.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 03:19:00 PM »
I would check the filson web site for a flagship store near you. That means they have a big selection of filson stuff you could try on before you buy it. Filson gear is top notch. You can find some stuff cheaper that is very good as well.  The bibs rock! Never tried the cruiser. I have the Timber mackinaw hunting hat. One of the finest hats I've owned. The brim is short so it doesn't interfere with my draw.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 03:35:00 PM »
just flipping through a Filson catalouge yesterday.  Sure would like one of the Double Mackinaw's, maybe one day.
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »
I live about 10 miles from Filsons main store (downtown Seattle).No complaints.....Great stuff.bd

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 05:52:00 PM »
I love my Filson Guide sweater and Tin Cloth double hunting bibs.  Warm, dry, briar-proof, quiet.  Pair a set of bibs up with some King of the Mountain Wool and you have a great late season set-up.

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 06:54:00 PM »
I have a forest green double mackinaw that I wear on colder days here in Oklahoma.  The sleeves are large, but with my armguard, I don't have any trouble shooting my bow. The mackinaw is rainproof within reason, warm, and probably worth the money.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »
I have a double mackinaw wanna-be (by another mfr) and it is great...but don't be surprised at the weight.  It has a bunch of heavy wool in it.  Most times it is too warm, unless you are just stand sitting all day.  It actually didn't get cold enough during this year's hunting season for me to wear it.  Guess this weekend will change that though.
ChuckC

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »
Russ,

I have owned a Mackinaw cruiser (the single mack, not the double-mackinaw) for over tweny years. It's been my go to, all purpose winter hunting/work jacket since I bought it. Worn over a wool or polypro base layer and a heavy weight (Filson) wool sweater, it keeps me quite comfortable during late season stand vigils.

What's nice about the sigle mack is that it'll keep you warm during REALLY cold weather (when worn as described above), but it's also light enough to wear while working around the house or trying to keep up with my Lab when we're out small game hunting. As warm as the single-mack keeps me, I speculate that the double-mack would be too warm for any activity that involves moving around.

What's insane about my cruiser is that for all the abuse it's taken, looking at it, you'd think it was just a couple years old instead of a couple decades old. A GREAT product!
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 10:43:00 AM »
Sounds like the perfect coat........do you guys find it okay for drawing your bow? I just worry about spending that much money and now it's too restrictive to draw my bow.

Any problems with that?

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »
Russ,

Worn while on stand, I use four or five rubber bands of good tension to compress my bow arm sleeve from my shoulder to my elbow, and of course an armguard on my forearm. As far as the body of the cruiser goes, I've had no issues with the fabric getting in the way of my bowstring. Again though, this is the regular cruiser. I have no first hand experience with the double-mack.

If you'll allow me to echo a suggestion that was made above, find a Filson retailer in your area rather than ordering directly from Filson. In this manner you'll be able to try one on for fit while wearing a heavy garment under it. Although Filson says that their products are generously cut, I have found that I usually have to buy one size larger- especially with their wool garments. Also, it is typical of Filson retailers to offer Filson products for about five percent less than what Filson charges. Plus you'll save on shipping charges.
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 03:57:00 PM »
Among Filson garments that I own or have owned are: Cape coat, single cruiser, double cruiser, wool vest (2).  I wear the vest on an every day basis probably 8 or 9 months of the year.  The original one I bought in '91 is still going strong.  The cape coat finally gave out after 8 years of hard wear.  The single cruiser was still like new when it got burned in a house fire, but I immediately replaced it with a double, which I wear daily at least 6 months of the year.  Actually, either single or double is too warm if you are doing heavy exertion, but for the work I do (I'm a land surveyor)out doors most of the time it is just right.  It breathes enough that it is comfortable even if you work up a bit of a sweat.  I shoot my bow all the time in the winter wearing the double.  I can't say that I have actually hunted much while wearing the cruisers, but they would be fine for sitting in a stand or moving slowly through the woods.  After years of depending on Filson wool I've come to echo their sales phrase, "Might as well have the best".  In my opinion they are worth the money.  However, for a single layer quality wool overcoat the Swanndri from New Zealand is also an outstanding product
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Online 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 07:10:00 PM »
Russ,
I have had 2 Mac cruisers. They can be a little bulky and heavy IMO. I would consider layering using Merino wool long john top with zippered neck,a wool shirt Filson??, the #921 Filson zipper vest and the #922 Filson Mac jacket liner which is also zippered. That is a lot of wool but it can be used for varying conditions and the zippers as opposed to the button fronts make for a more controlled ventilation if need be. Filson was bought out a year or two ago and some stuff went offshore then they discovered that didn't work for the Filson market niche.I think it's all stateside again but I did see a shirt in Sportsman's Warehouse this winter that came from China.

Offline Jeff Cooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »
I shoot daily throughout the winter wearing either a single or double mac, depending on the temp.  I also will wear them over my filson bibs when hunting in the cold.  A little bulky maybe, but really nothing to worry about. I don't wear an armgaurd (ever) and I can't really say that the sleeves have ever been a problem.  I respectfully disagree with the people who say they are too warm if moving...maybe I just move too slow or maybe it is too cold up here. (-35 this past weekend, and I was out both days!)

Offline WindWalker-AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 11:10:00 PM »
Mr. Clagett,
We have two of the double mackinaw coats and really enjoy them.
Best Wishes

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 12:41:00 PM »
Thanks for all the help and advice, I really appreciate hearing from you all. I can remember years ago hunting all day in single digit temps, no big deal, no special gear. I'm older now....

and it's alot colder out there....funny how that works.

I'll take ya'lls advice and try some out firsthand.

Thanks again..

Russ

Offline riot1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 11:19:00 AM »
I own a Filson Cruiser as well as the hunting jacket.  My hunting jacket is a size large and fits perfectly for bowhunting.  The arms are tapered more so than the cruiser and they're longer.  I hunt exclusively eith that jacket.  In really nasty cold I wear a field jacket liner from the old military M-65 Field Jackets undernieth it and it is great.  The cruiser is a fantastic jacket when you buy the correct size, ie. slim fitting, but I had to buy the Extra Long version to fit my arms and I am all of 5'10" on a good day.  I do have really long arms though.  I've shot my bow with both jackets and have not had an issue with the string hitting them or fredom of movement.  You will, however, have a tough time trying to shoot a bow with the Double Mac.  That is a bulky coat.

Riot

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 12:02:00 PM »
Russ,

The Filson coats are quality garments for sure and I like them for their wind blocking abilities.  I wear my double mac on the coldest windy days for purposes other than bowhunting.  I'll take it out tomorrow and shoot with it then report back, but I suspect the arm will interfere without a bracer to hold it back.  I cant my bow while shooting so the sleeve will be hanging toward the string.

Riot - I see that you are in Blacksburg.  Enjoying the first real snow of the year?  Stay safe as we are supposed to get a little more tomorrow.  Sunday's cold could be Filson Mac weather.
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
I've shot my double mac with my longbows without problem, but then I don't use an armguard.

It's a great jacket from fall to early winter and late winter to spring.  In the coldest part of winter (-10 deg F without windchill), the wind does come through a bit and I need to wear a wool sweater underneath.  The only thing that stops our cold winter wind is a wind shell of some sort.

I've had mine for over 3 years and it's held up great, really it looks like it did when I bought it and I've worn it over 100 days per year.

Jason

Offline DCM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2008, 04:35:00 PM »
Like Jason says, wind will get thru.  Not like it is freezing cold here in Memphis, TN.  Bought mine in October and have enjoyed it.  Bulky for my tastes for archery but everything is relative.  Generously sized in my view.  I shoot 30" arrows and the regular lenght is plenty long.

Solomon Outfitters on the internet.  Best price I found, delivered in a week if I recall.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©