3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Knox Gelatin & Sinew  (Read 350 times)

Offline Dean Marlow

• Trad Bowhunter
Knox Gelatin & Sinew
« on: January 15, 2008, 05:34:00 PM »
Guys getting ready to sinew a little Hickory bow. I am going to use the Knox Gelatin instead of Hide Glue. I got those little packets of Gelatin and was wondering how much water do you use for each packet. Is there some kind of ratio or what. Dean
Dean Marlow

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Knox Gelatin & Sinew
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 09:20:00 PM »
1/4 cup water per small packet. Nuke in the microwave for about 15 seconds.(depends on your power rating) but remember to not let it foam up.
 On hickory remember to wet the bow before applying the sinew. Just wipe down with a wet rag before starting. Hickory will suck the moisture out of the glue too quick and can cause a failure down the road. Been there,done that.
 One pack per 1/4 cup is a good batch to work at a time. Keep it warm but not hot.I use an old coffee maker to do that but be sure to place washers or something on the burner and set the glue pot on top of the washers. Otherwise it will get too hot and "curdle" your sinew.
 Almost forgot- you want to rub some warm glue over the surface of the bow before laying the first course. Sort of like "booking" wallpaper.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline KILLER B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 09:41:00 PM »
I was wondering the same thing Dean. And thanks for the info Flinttim.
Sticks and stones break deer bones.
One final word -Ramalamashamjam-

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 10:31:00 PM »
Good luck with the sinew job Dean!
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Bob Barnes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 11:22:00 PM »
good advice Tim...miss having you  at mojam...you should come this year and visit us and Dean...  :)
Bob
"Hello, My name is Bob and I'm a BowAholic"

Offline Dean Marlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 06:40:00 AM »
Thank you Tim for the advise. Never thought of putting washers under the pot or pan to control the heat. Didn't know about wetting the bow down first on Hickory. Will give her a try here in a couple of days and see what happens. Thanks again Dean
Dean Marlow

Offline Buz-AL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 02:52:00 PM »
Flinttim, didn't you mean to wet the bow's back with thin hide glue (sizing it), not with just with plain water?

Never tried (or heard of) merely wetting a bow before sinewing.

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 06:10:00 PM »
Wet it with water first to add some moisture to the wood and THEN the sizing. I done a hickory bow a few years back (sweet little number 48" NtN , pulled 55 #) and the first time I drew it all the sinew popped off in one piece. The hickory draws the moisture from the glue very quickly and leaves a weak bond on the first course of sinew. I saved the bow by pulling it into reflex and glueing the sinew back on. Worked well but I would not want to do it that way again. The wood in the bow is getting wet anyway and has to dry several days (about a month for me) so wetting it down won't hurt a thing.
 I hope to get back to Mojam one of these days Bob. But you know how life gets in the way of living sometimes. You know with "global warming" Mojam ought to get real comfortable.  :scared:
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©