3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Yet another Osage question  (Read 1028 times)

Offline BrianO

• Trad Bowhunter
Yet another Osage question
« on: February 02, 2007, 01:41:00 PM »
Earlier this week I cut some more osage.  Really straight stuff with 1/4 inch growth rings.  I sealed the ends with what I thought would be enough elmers glue.  Thick enough that it was running and dripping every where. When I took it to store it with the rest I noticed that almost all of it is starting to split in the ends.  What should I do? Next question, I cut every thing about 72-74 inched long expecting to make 60-64 inch bows.  How long or deep will the end splits go and will I still have enough length to lose the splits? Thanks.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Yet another Osage question
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 01:51:00 PM »
Brian,

If you have time hog the bark and sapwood off and seal the backs.  I like to use bullseye shellac to do the job.  It seals better then the glue.  Otherwise put another couple of coats of glue on and hope it does the job.

How warm is it where you have them?  You want them to stabilize slowly.  That will help with the checking.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline bluegill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 02:00:00 PM »
Brian,

Shellac is the only way to go. When I started cutting staves I used Elmers as a sealant and had mixed results, ever since switching to shellac I have not had a single problem.

It is tough to say how far the checks will go into the stave, you'll know more after getting the bark off.

Sean

Offline BrianO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 02:10:00 PM »
Since I have cut and split them they have been in an unheated garage about 35-40 degrees.  I will definalty start using shellac.  Does it make that much difference by taking the bark off. It seems that as many people say take it off as say leave it on.  What ever is best for the wood is what I want to do.  Thanks

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 02:39:00 PM »
By taking the bark off you eliminate any grubs that might be in the bark. You can also treat the bark with pesticide to kill the grubs.
   Most of the checking will be in the last few inches of each end. With your staves as long as they are, you ought to be OK. There is a lot of work removing the bark and sapwood and as you do it you need to seal the back and ends well before starting the next.  Storeing it in the unheated garage should be fine.
  I also use bullseye shellac. I like the spray cans for ease of use. Costs a bit more but it is more convenient.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 03:25:00 PM »
Don't just take the bark off.  You have to take the sapwood too.  Then seal with shellac very well.  I usually just leave the bark on but bugs will get to it if you leave it when it gets warm.  So checking is almost inevitable.  They usually don't go more than a couple inches.  That's the main reason I cut all my stuff to 72".  I assume I will have some checking.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 07:47:00 PM »
I would split it, if you have not yet done so. Put on a couple more coats of glue on the ends. Split logs will cure some what faster and the checking does not seem to happen as bad if the log is split shortly after cutting. Moistier escapes from the split side of the stave and the bark and sap wood will not let as much moistier escape and keeps the back of the stave from checking. I do not strip the bark or sap wood off unless I see saw dust from woodborers or until I'm ready to work the stave.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©