3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: PSE KUDU  (Read 474 times)

Offline TimRadke

• Trad Bowhunter
PSE KUDU
« on: January 15, 2008, 07:05:00 PM »
So here's my thinking... please tell me what you think.

I'm looking to get back into traditional a bit, PLUS I need a bow for bowfishing this spring.  My longbow is too heavy for me (%$@#* broken arm!), so I need another traditional bow.  I decided I want a recurve, as I want to take a deer with every legal means in Wisconsin (compound, longbow, recurve, shotgun, rifle, muzzleloader, handgun and crossbow*).. I only need recurve and handgun, but I digress.

I think I decided on a less expensive lightweight recurve that has the inserts for a bowfishing jug, and once I shoot for a while and get my form down, upgrade to a heavier custom recurve (RER), and keep my cheaper recurve as my bowfishing bow... I'm looking at the PSE Kudu.

Anyone shoot this bow?  Worth the $250, or would I be better off spending a little more on a little better one?

Thanks for your time!

* - crossbow legal in WI for those over 65, or those with a medical condition.  A shattered elbow from falling 20 feet to the ground out of a treestand  constitutes a "medical condition".  If the thought of killing yourself by falling out of a tree isn't cause enough to make you wear your safety belt, try this for a reason -- you may have to hunt with a crossbow if you still want to hunt!

Thanks again!
-Tim
Byron Ferguson Patriot
58# @ 28"

RER XR
49# @ 26"

>')///><            <-------[[[[

Offline RidinMyK2PastU

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: PSE KUDU
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 07:23:00 PM »
I used to have a PSE Kudu, until I took it back to Cabelas with the limbs starting to crack on the riser sides. I did hunt with the Kudu, and harvested my first recurve deer with it, but I honestly would say try a different bow. Some great deals in the classifieds.

You can search for the Kudo on this site, and find another post I wrote for another guy asking the same question.

If you have any specific questions, just ask.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 09:45:00 PM »
Interesting.  Except for the crossbow, I've killed deer in Wisconsin with all of those weapons.  Also killed a few deer with a self-bow I made.  Didn't set out to do it, just like hunting with a lot of different stuff.

Should you decide to go the Kudu route, a friend of mine has one, along with a bow quiver and several aluminum arrows, a hard case and maybe some other stuff, in like new condition which I believe he is looking to sell.

Offline La. bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 08:01:00 PM »
On the cabelas website when you look up this bow if you read the ratings there are several people who complain about busted limbs so you may want to look at some other inexpensive bows on the market.
La. Bowhunter trad archery addict

Offline OzarkRamblr

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »
When I got back into archery the Kudu was the first bow I bought.  I think I only paid $150.00 new for mine, that was a few years ago though.  It's a decent enough starter bow & certainly good enough for bow fishing.  

Limbs splitting can be caused by overtightening the limb bolts, keep that in mind.  Might not be a bow problem so much as a user problem.  I never had a lick of trouble out of mine & I'm hard on stuff.
"A friend of mine said that I'm lucky, I told him luck has nothing to do with the life I chose, we choose the life we have and don't have, so choose wisely"...Kingwouldbe

Words to live by.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mrkbsm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 10:46:00 PM »
I had one until last month (sold it) and never had any major trouble with it.  If I wasn't careful and didn't order my strings with an extra large upper loop, they would start to fray from rubbing the edge of the limb while unstringing it.  It worked for deer and bowfishing.  
Cracking limbs could be over-tightening as mentioned above, but it could also have been a bad run of limbs for a while in their factory.  
If you look around, it's quite possible you could find one used and pay a bit less.

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 11:46:00 PM »
i hunt with one right now. it is my first trad. bow also.  i am very hard on all my hunting stuff and i have never had a problem out of mine,  good stater and looks to be a good one for a while,  like said above, all of the limb problems might just have been a bad bacth of limbs, mine are fine
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©