3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Has archery 'saved' you?  (Read 1481 times)

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
Has archery 'saved' you?
« on: January 16, 2008, 01:04:00 AM »
I certainly don't mean in a religious sense - it can't do that - but what has it done for you???

I will share a story.

I have a really close friend and we have been mates since Uni days (I think you lads call it Varsity).

He hit a hard patch a few years ago and lost his wife and his business.  Like a typical bloke he 'closed shop' and did not share his problems with anybody.  I urged him to go to counselling but he refused.

We don't live in the same State in Australia, so I saw him rarely.  However each time I did I noticed he looked more disheveled and unkempt.  I realised he had hit the 'turps' big time and was often drunk.

His downward slide was almost complete when he lost the recent job he had acquired for turning up to work under the influence.

To shorten a long story, I took two weeks leave and went and stayed with him in Melbourne.  I hesitated to do so, but when I left home I whacked a take/down bow and a few arrows into my bag.  During that stay I dragged him out to one of the local clubs and we shot a few rounds together.

He was able to open up to me and share some of his troubles.  Having dealt with similiar situations before as a volunteer counselor for a Suicide Prevention Programme - I was able to listen and advise.

During this period he began to get interested in trad archery.  

I was able to help find him a new job whilst I was still in Melbourne and I left the bow with him to use.  

He started going back to the club and became a member.  He began buying and selling a few bows and soon had the bug.

All along - almost imperceptibly - he started to fill his life with things and stopped the drink.

He met new friends at the club, got a promotion at his new job and met a new partner.

He told me recently that if it had not been for our time together, and intoducing him to a better way of life - that he may not be around now to tell the tale.

I am not saying that the archery alone helped pull him from the mire - but it certainly helped.

I know myself - with hard patches that I have been through in life - that my interest in the outdoors and my bows have kept me on the straight and narrow.  

I am not a drinker, so the 'turps' was never an issue for me - but an empty purposeless life will always lead to mischief.

I have a life filled with good things and I attribute a lot of that to my interest in archery.  Great people, good bows and an insatiable apetite for new adventure.

I am wondering if anybody else would like to share their story - how has the stick and string helped you to stay on track - during the dark times.

Cheers - Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Has archery 'saved' you?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 02:15:00 AM »
Traditional archery has added years to my life!

I am a dentist, which can be a rather stressful career.

I love to come home and shoot 15-20 arrows. It helps take my mind off work and stress and such.  Then I can spend hours just tinkerin' with broadheads, arrows, feathers, and other stuff.  

My sense of adventure has surely developed with archery. A nice hike in the woods with my bow can be loads of fun even if I'm just shooting some judos at stumps.  It allows me to explore the wonders of nature and marvel at all the beauty in the world that we take for granted.

I started shooting 15 years ago with a recurve, but I never realized how much fun a hobby like this could be.  Certainly helps me keep my sanity.

Wish my wife were into it, but unfortunately shopping is her only hobby!! LOL (Hope she doesn't read this.)

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline OzarkRamblr

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 04:28:00 AM »
JBiorn, How is one to know the stresses of another unless they've walked in the other's shoes?  

Archery makes a difference in my life daily.  Any time I feel stressed or might need to lose myself in something other than the day to day drudgery, I will pick up my bow and some arrows.  Sometimes it's to go out back and watch a few fly, sometimes it's to go to the woods and ponder my own insignificance.
"A friend of mine said that I'm lucky, I told him luck has nothing to do with the life I chose, we choose the life we have and don't have, so choose wisely"...Kingwouldbe

Words to live by.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 04:45:00 AM »
It may be in the process of saving me!

After the embarrasment of being run ragged by Curtis & Mark Horne at last year's Sweat (Both of whom are at least twice my age   :p  ) I've quit smoking. I've never really had a good reason to quit (hey, 100% of non-smokers die too!) until I took up trad archery &, more to the point, found Tradgang. It's made me re-assess my outlook on life & given me new goals to aim for. Heck, if nothing else, I'll see more game, right?!
I've got the urge to try a few more 'adveturous' hunts in future & I wouldn't stand a chance climbing mountains with lungs full of goop.
I would never have got into bowhunting if I hadn't discovered this site & met & spoken to the people I have.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 05:49:00 AM »
My living is directly tied to the road and bridge construction industry. I have a sissy inside job "drawing" roads and bridges and I suppose as much as any occupation, my work has its downside. Many of my closest friends and dozens more acquaintances would never give up their seasonal outside construction work as concrete contractors, surveyors, heavy equipment operators, etc. Their reasoning is that that would much rather bust arse nine months a year (often working 55-70 hours a week) so that they might enjoy taking three months off each year beginning in the late Fall. When my "outside" buddies call me mid-week and ask me if I'd like to join them duck hunting (they also do no work when it rains) more often than not I just loan them my Lab, Huck because some deadline, meeting, or other work related obligation does not allow to break away from work. Just another perspective of the construction industry, but I digress.

Like Whitetail Chaser, archery and bowhunting have enhanced my life in immeasurable ways. As much as I live to chase whitetails during the fall, I also simply enjoy shooting a couple dozen arrows in my basement or in the yard after work each day to help me relax and unwind. To help keep me and my Lab fit, from the end of December to the end of March, most weekday nights you will find us out behind the house chasing bunnies. Our bunny hunts are really nothing more than a walk through the woods with a bow in hand and a quiver full of stumping arrows on my back- but please don‘t tell Huck that.. Since I first picked up a recurve 25 years ago, traditional archery has been a very big part of my life and the passion seems to grow stronger with each passing  year.
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 06:32:00 AM »
JBiorn - you have an email.   "[dntthnk]"
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 07:51:00 AM »
before big tests, even at night, I go out and just shoot, it helps take the stress out of highschool exams
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 08:45:00 AM »
Great thread Sutto.

In short, yes, it has changed my life for the better. Until I went back to trad exclusively 99/00, I only rarely hunted with folks and then usually family. Since then, the Lord has enriched my life with many, many folks of kindred heart. I am happier and mentally healthier today because of these sisters and brothers of the bow...many are by far the closest friends I've had my entire life. I cannot imagine my life without them and the love they share with me.

I owe traditional archery more than I can ever repay....   :campfire:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 08:51:00 AM »
Its been big return on investment for me to!!! :)Im not money rich , but rich with the friends I have made, its a good thing , ya follow me!    :wavey:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 09:21:00 AM »
Sutto, just a quick comment to suggest that reading your story, there is a lot of love and your heart in the mix with archery that likely showed that man, your friend, that indeed all was not lost.

Don't underestimate the power of your friendship... which if I'm not mistaken, might also be a common thread in some of the other stories above... that in trad archery, more so than in many of my past outdoor pursuits, I find men and women who have reached out more easily, given more of themselves...all to help another soul improve their abilities.

Like JC, I've met people in trad that have been rock solid while I stumbled in the dark at times... the draw of the bow and arc of the arrow are therapy, sure, but nothing compared to the heart and soul of those I've met, and those I've only met here, on-line, who've lifted me up in prayers adn friendship.

Trad is the impetus, but the people in trad, and Tradgang, are the cure!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Voodoofire1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 09:29:00 AM »
It has... the healing powers of the old stick and string are like magic in calming the savage beast within all of us. some of the best people I've ever met are traditional archers,many have become true friends, and I'd walk barefoot over red hot coals just to give them an ounce of help if they needed it,and I'd bet they'd do the same for me......Steve
True happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »
Doc Nock, you nailed it!!!!!!!
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 10:07:00 AM »
Not archery, but certainly hunting and fishing did and still do each day.

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 10:14:00 AM »
My wife and I have always had a great relationship but since getting her into archery about 10 years ago we have a common passion. Shooting together (playing together) keeps us close. I can say that I am a better man for that!

Bill
Aim Small

Offline denny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 10:14:00 AM »
I guess I'm the anomaly. I took up bowhunting and archery after a couple of stern reminders that the balance and reflexes aren't what they used to be. I really love the time I spend at my spot in the woods behind the house and for this stage of my life chasing elk with a backpack is very rewarding but no I had a full healthy life before I ever picked up a bow.

Offline Pat O'B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 10:30:00 AM »
On the one year anniversary of my dad's death (unexpectedly at age 65) I attended the Jerry pierce memorial in Enid MS.

My mom was still not doing well at all and this was a day we had been dreading. I convinced her with some help from her grandsons to come with us and watch them shoot. She reluctantly agreed and it was pretty quiet on the drive down there.  
The kids loved the course and it provided me with a distraction as well. We shot the first round and the kids were worn out and didn't want to walk and shoot round 2.

My mom said you go shoot and I will stay here with them. I left  a few arrows for them to shoot the bales with and told her I would hurry.

I go off the shoot and when I come back I see my mom under the pavilion laughing and talking with some people I didn't know. Turns out 5 minutes after I left the arrows were lost and the kids were bored.

A wonderful man who made arrows - named Troy, from Alabama - saw the dilema and found some broken adult arrows and adapted them for the kids, glued on points and had them back shooting. AND WOULD NOT ACCEPT ANY MONEY!!!!! Another grandma there struck up a conversation and before she knew it my mom was making new friends and having a good time.

It was the first ray of sun in a very long sad year, and her only comment as we drove home was "THESE TRADITIONAL PEOPLE ARE WONDERFUL!!!!"

You said it mom, you said it!

Pat

Offline gilf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 10:55:00 AM »
Sutto - you sound like a true friend. I think you need to take a little more credit for helping somebody clearly in need rather than giving archery the lions share.

I'd echo what Bill had to say, both my wife and I took up archery at around the same time, we have always had a great relationship but having a common interest has kept us even closer.

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »
Some years back when I got back into archery after a twenty year hiatus I chose to go with Olympic style college recurve and targets. It was fun and a challenge and I got reasonably good but hankered after my 'primitive' roots so after two or three years I changed back to wooden longbow and wood arrows. My friend and mentor the club chairman/drivingforce/coach made a strange comment. At least at the time it seemed strange. I had asked him what he thought of my move, and that I'd probably not shoot competitions much anymore, his answer? "You're shooting 'sticks'? Nothing wrong, keeps you honest!".

I was puzzled, but then Alan had a quick wit and ironic sense of humour. He was a man who had done it all, in the target world, FITA, Field etc he had been shooting 35 years by then represented the country many times, coached, been on the national committees etc and was now doing grassroots development. What made him special is that no matter if you were just plunking around the course or taking part in a national he was eager and interested to hear how your round went. I hate to imagine how many arrows he had shot from the age of five until 48 yet he remained a passionate competitor and generous coach and mentor to all who were curious about archery. Alan was a wonderful man family man and widely respected. I never regretted my move and was never criticised by anyone in the club, good solid values was what it stood for,  Alan was the example. At the time I switched I was fighting my way back from financial disaster but was still made welcome at all shoots held by the club, I am ok now. His number will always remain on my phone.

Alan Greenwood was shot for his cellphone, laptop and shoes while working in his factory over a weekend on 27 december 2003
chrisg

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 11:14:00 AM »
I agree with LV2HUNT hunting, fishing and the outdoors in general helped keep me out of trouble.Traditional archery has helped keep that love of hunting and the outdoors alive.
 Mike
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 12:23:00 PM »
About 19 years ago, I fell off a scaffold and fractured the radial head in my left elbow. After much therapy it had to be removed. With much more therapy after surgery I had about 35% use of the arm and could barley get past 90 degrees in straightness. I've seen a few guys where their arm just locker up after this type of injury. I had to where a mechanical brace which was spring loaded which gave me a nickname of the bionic man.
Along comes my cousin asked what was done in therapy in which I explained that they would pull on the arm to try and stretch and loosen the muscles and mainly the scar tissue. He being an avid archer and hunter said I should try archery to see if could take the therapy a step further since it has the same method but would be more enjoyable and same me on all the visits strengthen the arm. Being a natural right handed person I got a right handed wheelie bow to start. No matter how low the weight I tried shooting as a righty the force of holding a bow in the left hand and drawing with the right hand drove the headless forearm bone into the upper arm joint where I’d whimper like a baby..

Well I decided to switch to pulling lefty. All I can say is Thanks to the Lord above.
Not only strengthened, but really stretched out the arm to about 95% straightness, which I will gladly live with.

It literally gave me back my life and with two sons one could imagine the feeling of not being to play ball and shoot archery with them.

Being able to play all sports again and now swing a bat, at 46 I just got a set of gold clubs will start to play.

So I can absolutely say “YES” archery saved my life from being on the side lines to being in there where we all belong.

Gave me and my family a great sport with great people to do together.
  http://youtube.com/watch?v=01ZKOqklbJU  

Traditional archery has taken it to the next level where now the mind and the inner soul are content, well at least here in earthly terms.
No more being pissed for missing that “X” shot.

My mottos are “Just nock, draw and release” and “Just nock, draw and be released”.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©