3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Has archery 'saved' you?  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Has archery 'saved' you?
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2008, 08:47:00 PM »
Traditional archery and bowhunting fill a void that nothing else can.

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »
My mother passed away on Dec. 23rd.  I shot six arrows a week after she passed.  I have not picked up my bow since.  It was a few weeks before I even checked in on this site.  Everything seems silly after you go through what I just did.  She LIVED her life.  I know she wants us to do the same without her.  This has made me want to head out into the woods again.  Except it is a high of 8.  Maybe I will go to the local heated range.  Thanx guys.
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2008, 10:49:00 PM »
Thanks folks for the insightful replies

I agree with 'Docnock' - take the great people out of archery and it would not be so great.

Thanks to those with the kind comments - I apreciate that.

Hearing all of these stories just illustrates the old adage - regarding how we all have to walk our own walk and adapt life to our circumstances.

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »
Yes it has.  this thread is long overdue and I've thought about this topic a lot.  Thanks for creating it ... I think there is a lot of good medicine in what it has done for us all.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline ozarkcherrybow1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2008, 11:10:00 PM »
I have really enjoyed this thread and appreciate your story Sutto and everyone else that has replied.
 For me personally, archery has filled a void in me. I used to be very competitive in many other sports, but my mind is still eighteen compared to my overworked 43 year old body. I have came to the reality that the sports that I loved is in the past. Archery has given me a sport that I will be able to enjoy for many years to come.
 The biggest blessing from Archery is that my wife and kids enjoy shooting with me. Everyone gets to participate and has fun shooting. The friendships that have come from this sport will last for a very long time also.
 In a final note, I get to hunt for 5 months out of the year here in Arkansas!!
  Terry

Offline OzarkRamblr

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2008, 11:48:00 PM »
Sorry for your loss Katie, we'll say a prayer for you here in the Ozarks.
"A friend of mine said that I'm lucky, I told him luck has nothing to do with the life I chose, we choose the life we have and don't have, so choose wisely"...Kingwouldbe

Words to live by.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2008, 11:54:00 PM »
It is what keeps me sane in a crazy world. I deal with a lot of stress being a Federal Law Enforcement Officer and If I did not go out and shoot every day I would probably loose my mind. It keeps me relaxed and focused on life.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2008, 06:32:00 AM »
sutto:  Archery didn't save him, You did.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2008, 07:40:00 AM »
I see magic and wonder in the flight of an arrow. And more, almost like sending a prayer. Its also one of those "if I have to explain it you could not understand" things.

Alcoholism, wrecked marriage, a host of personal problems based in selfcentered and selfish behavior and thinking have been part of my story. I rediscovered trad archery a few years into my turn around and it has been a passion ever since. Spiritual practices saved me and archery is one of the ones I found. Like JC mentioned, the folks who share this passion seem to be kindered spirits. I have met, hunted with and shared campfires with many from this site and it has enriched and blessed my life.

Plus, its just plain fun! Simple joys are some of the best. Chop wood, carry water, shoot arrows.

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2008, 07:53:00 AM »
Shaun - Onya mate - it takes courage to say these things sometimes.  Thanks for your honesty and insight and it's great your life has turned around!

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2008, 08:09:00 AM »
Wow what a great thread.

I probably stayed out of trouble because I loved the outdoors more than anything. Archey was something I was introduced to by may father (birthday present at 15-16) It was an reson to go out in the woods. Gun hunting was something Dad and Grandpa did every year. I loved it but archey got me out even more.

Like others have said I think the friendships and people associated with Trad archey is the biggest thing for me. My father and grandfather don't hunt anymore. I'm not sure if they ever will again..I hope so but who knows. I love to tell my stories and hear them to. So tradgang has helped alot in that respect.

Another thing is that my bows and arrows and targets could care less about my troubles. When I pick one up and take it out they go to work. They don't ask questions or worry about anything they just work. That is theraputic at times for sure.
Jason Lester

Offline the not so straight arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2008, 10:12:00 AM »
I think the relationship between a man a bow, or a man and the woods is a very solitary and simplistic one. Which is a good thing. Sometimes its important to reduce all that stress and complication down to  something so plain and pure that nothing else can change it.
I for one used to hang out with the wrong crowd of people, like most of my friends i was following a trend, partying, or drinking. This eventually got me into quite some trouble. I was put on house arrest for three months. It was hell, i couldnt get into the woods once, missed deer season, and couldnt run my traps.
But by the time that those three months were up, i had changed completly. And by choice. I no longer hung out with my old friends, or friends in general. My best friend was literally my dog, and every day we would hunt rabbits with the longbow, just me and her.
With all the time i spend in the woods i have yet to find one negative thing about it. To this day i do not hang out with the people in my school. I spend time with my older (and wiser) friends at deer camp, and ever though my dog died last year, i still hunt those same briars.
The woods are one of the most important things to me and have a very special place in my heart. They are healthy, beautiful, and kept me on the straight on narrow, and always will.

-cory
burry me with my longbow, and a dozen good shafts, heard theres big deer in heaven

Offline flightmedic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2008, 07:08:00 PM »
i would have to say i think traditional archery has done alot for me and my kids. i just switched to traditional about a year or so, and kinda got into it on a whim. and my son and me soon got it to it togther, ( he is 7 ) which got his sister into it (10 ). we spent almost every thur shooting leagues as a family, and most of the summer going to rendevous in mich, p.a, which  was the most fun i have had in a long time. my daughter summed it up best. at compton rendevous in michigan, several pepole who we did not know stopped to speak to the kids and just say hello, and offer lots of praise and support when on the 3-d range. she said " dad theese pepole are very nice, and friendly" thats how it helped me , quality time with the family.
Toelke ( Troll)

Striker bow (stinger)

Compton Member
PBS MEMBER
"In the wind he is still alive Fred Bear "

Offline Chisler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
Cory - I'm impressed at your hindsight and assessment of yourself - where you have been and where you are going.  I think you are fortunate that you experienced archery and the outdoors before your involvement with th "wrong crowd".  I'm just thrilled reading what you wrote - that the house arrest worked and you made some better (IMO) choices, that you appreciate and love your time in the woods.  Stay positive man, you are on the right road!  Sorry about your dog.

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2008, 08:29:00 PM »
Some good reading on this one. I too live a pretty stressfull life. Every once in a while things get heavy (bills,work,ect) and I go shoot my bow. It helps to remind me to keep life   simple and don't get too wound up about things that will never happen to begin with. I keep a paperweight on my desk that reads;

Five simple Rules for Happiness:

1. Free your heart from hatred.

2. Free your mind from worries.

3. Live simply

4. Give more.

5. Expect less

Wise words to live by...

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2008, 09:06:00 PM »
Just the other day, Traditional Archery saved me from domestic terrorism.  

I was standing in my doorway, bow and quiver in hand, when a SUV pulled in my drive.  I grew nervous at the sound of the wheels skidding to a halt.  Out sprang a fearful sight.  "Jihad Jody", famed, feared, but not neccessarily wanted, domestic terrorist had arrived!

At the sight of me, dressed in wool, she unleashed a flurry of environmental noise directed upon my person.  Shaken, I reached deep, searching for the proper response to such a threat.  "I won't be long, it's dark at 5:30." I said and made haste toward my waiting truck.

Once on the road, I took a last glance in the rearview mirror and patted my bow, thankful once again for the salvation found in such a simple instrument.   :thumbsup:
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »
I know its saved me. I feel closer to God while out stump shooting or just shooting in general. I know archery has kept me away from the bad stuff drugs, alcohol or parties. I know most kids are spending their money on video games or something else useless but my money goes to archery or hunting I cant think of a better way to spend it. Someday I plan to get my kids in to archery so they stay out of the trouble.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline longstick

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »
now THATS a being a true friend suttoman! Excellent!!
>>-TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »
Molson - that was an hilarious take on a well known topic for us guys - very funny.

sutto

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
A couple years before I was old enough to deer hunt I came home from school one November afternoon to find out my father had been accidentally shot by another hunter. In a moment, the thing I had looked foward to since I was a small boy was taken away. It would be years before I was allowed to pick up a gun.

My father lived, and instead of a gun we picked up a couple of bows. While not always trad, archery became a passion. The journey began painfully but archery has become more of a part of me with each passing year. It didn't save me, but it certainly did enrich the last 35 years of my life.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©