INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Huntin With KsBow 07  (Read 4464 times)

Offline Ralph Renfro

• Trad Bowhunter
Huntin With KsBow 07
« on: December 09, 2007, 07:44:00 PM »
My Three Best Buddies, Mike Hames, John Cooke, and Terry Newman of Norman, Oklahoma hunt with me a lot. It's a 4.5 hour drive to my home in central Kansas but they try to make it as often as possible without causing divorce procedings. This year, 07, all three managed to draw either sex tags and all hunted several times. In early November Mike and John got in on the Kansas rut. Mike grunted in this nice 8 pointer and ended a long drought for knocking down Kansas bucks.   [/IMG]
Two days later, John killed his first ever whitetail with a traditional bow. Mike had reworked his recurve to allow him to pull less since John had undergone rotator cuff surgery three months earlier.  [/IMG]
On November 26th, I was lucky enough to bag this buck with my Sheepeater.   [/IMG]
Terry was finally able to make it up the weekend of Dec 7th-9th. It was brutally cold, windy, with ice on everything on Saturday morning. Terry decided to hunt a ground blind on a well used trail as we had seen lots of tracks there on Friday. Terry had turned down several bucks on previous hunts. This buck came in chasing a yearling doe and Terry decided to take him out of the gene pool. The landowner was happy he chose to do this.  [/IMG]
Wonderful thing is, they were all fast, humane, kills, with none of the four getting out of sight of the shooter. We had a good year for sure. Ralph aka KsBow
Building Bows Is Only Half The Fun, The Other Half Is Passing That Knowledge On!

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Huntin With KsBow 07
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
Nice deer Ralph, love the Sheepeater! Your buddies are lucky to have a friend like you. Hope the ice doesn't get too thick, we are supposed to get it tonight.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 04:52:00 AM »
good job everyone,congrats!

Offline longbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »
Congrats to all!! Good shooting guys!!

David

Offline Roger Moerke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 09:26:00 PM »
Good job enjoyed the pics of good Ol Ks country!

Offline mjc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 08:51:00 AM »
congrats, definately a good year

Offline Ralph Renfro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 03:40:00 PM »
This morning I sealed the deal on a Tom Turkey. Gives new meaning to the term "Snow Bird". 23 1/2 lbs, 9 inch beard, 7/8th spurs.  [/IMG] Sheepeater Spirit/POC arrows/MagnusII head
Building Bows Is Only Half The Fun, The Other Half Is Passing That Knowledge On!

Offline Ralph Renfro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 03:48:00 PM »
On October 15th, I filled my doe tag. She weighed 130 lbs field dressed. Sheepeater Spirit/POC arrows/MagnusII heads. Twelve yd shot and she went 35 yards.  [/IMG]

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 04:07:00 PM »
By golly Ralph you are giving that Sheepeater Spirt a work out. Good shooting.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 06:59:00 PM »
Way to Go Ralph,    That is AWESOME.  :thumbsup:    :notworthy:    Congrats
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline loco_cacahuate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 07:34:00 PM »
WTG and congrats.  :notworthy:    :clapper:
Never drop your gun to hug a Grizzly.

Offline Ralph Renfro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 06:05:00 PM »
Four years ago, I received a call from a buddy wanting to know if I would help a kid that was interested in building a bow. I gave him a great stave and got him started even though he lives 100 miles away. Since that time, he has attended 3 MoJams and 2 OJams and has become a part of the "Okie Camp". This year he wanted to hunt. He comes from a nice family, but not a hunting family. This fall his wheels were broken down. Finally, in the coldest weather of the year he made it up for a hunt, his very first deer hunt. It was 5 degrees when we got up. We decided he would take my wife Dianne's Sheepeater as we would hunt from a blind and his bow was just to long to shoot out of that particular blind. Long story short-he made a decent but high hit on a spike buck. It took us 4 1/2 hours in deep snow, but we make the recovery a mile and a half from where he was hit. He learned several valuable lessons today. Wear Mickey Mouse boot in snow and bitter cold. Aim Low. NEVER GIVE UP. I'm extremely proud of Paul Hendricks and am glad to call him a hunting bud.  [/IMG]

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 08:54:00 AM »
Thats a great year Ralph...you all really put those 2 Sheepeaters through their paces.

Way to go Paul!

Offline Ralph Renfro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 10:35:00 AM »
I ended the year by taking my Grandkids Griffin and Isabel to the woods. We were gonna look for Paul's arrow from two days ago. I was amazed at how well they did. I put em on the trail and they followed it till it left my property, about 300 yards. Not only did they find the arrow, but this rub that was blood splattered that Paul and I had missed. It was a great day in the woods, and valuable practice for the future. I told em they were my Blood Trailing Puppies.  [/IMG]

Offline Ralph Renfro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 06:12:00 PM »
Here Griffin and Isabel find the missing arrow. [/IMG]

Offline Ralph Renfro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2008, 06:13:00 PM »
Oops! Anyway, you get the picture. They had a blast and learned a lot about blood trailing.

Offline ONE SHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
Ralph thanks for sharing your 2007 pictures with us here on Trad Gang. Iam also a fellow KBA member, IBEP Instructor and Bowhunter, I live in Eastern Ks. in Overland Park, and also been  making Recurves and Long Bows for some time now, currently have a BBO almost finished for a friend of mine.

Hope to meet you some day....ONE SHOT...  :)    :)    :D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©