3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Longbow/Hybrid Photos  (Read 702 times)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: New Longbow/Hybrid Photos
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 08:22:00 AM »
George, did you check the bow's draw weight on a scale?  I think you've got a 50#er, wondering how accurate that is ...
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2008, 09:45:00 AM »
Rob....mine came in at 54# on my scale.  I anticipated it could be heavier, but since I draw 27" it is right about where I want it.  They do vary as I understand and usually a pound or two over.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2008, 10:07:00 AM »
I've noticed that Samick runs a bit more and Internature a bit less than their labeled draw weights.  At the LAS blow out price tag, this hybrid longbow should be a winner.  Maybe even I need one?  :D

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »
Alot of people under estimate the Samick bow line.  They make a great looking and shooting bow.

Offline Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2008, 11:14:00 AM »
Broke down and ordered one myself - should be here middle of next week.

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »
I broke down too, mine should be here soon.

I am getting very good at talking myself into new bows...  :jumper:
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2008, 11:45:00 AM »
George:
 Where are you measuring the draw at, Front of riser or belly of riser/Low point of grip?

Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2008, 01:09:00 PM »
NICE!!!  :thumbsup:
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline bigislandmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2008, 02:03:00 PM »
Aloha All,

Thanks for the heads up on da bows. Ordered two this am but not the long bow. Ordered the Equus for myself at 55 and Leopard at 50 for a friend. Will proberbly be here in a week or two. Again thanks------I no think can go wrong at dat price.

Mahalo!

Mark

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2008, 02:12:00 PM »
Pete W....I've always measured my draw to the back of the bow at the shelf, since that is where I draw an arrow.  I don't use the pivot plus method.  That's why my draw is longer on a recurve bow.  Old dogs....you know.

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2008, 02:44:00 PM »
Beautiful!

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2008, 07:54:00 PM »
well i recived my samick today in the mail!! as soon as i saw the package i unwrapped it, strung it up to a 7" brace height, and ran outside to take a couple of test shots.
the bow shoots quite nicely.seems pretty quick, and has almost no handshock. so for 179.00 i feel pretty good about things.

there was one problem.the string seems to be frayed at each end, about 3' from the ends. i was thinking about calling lancaster archery in the am and see what they can do for me.

all i need to do now is order all the other stuff i'll need to shoot the bow from 3 rivers.
like a glove, rest,silencers, field tips, a quiver, and arrows.  :eek:    :eek:  

the arrows i was shooting are from about 1960. and are warped woodies my father-in-law had in his basement.   :knothead:  

oh well.. all you others that bought this bow, how are yall makin out???

jamie
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2008, 07:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by gaffey-27:
... there was one problem.the string seems to be frayed at each end, about 3' from the ends. i was thinking about calling lancaster archery in the am and see what they can do for me....
Ya sure that's fraying and not strands of the Flemish loop splice popping out?  Get yerself some bees wax (or any kinda string wax), work it into the splice, melt down and smooth out with a piece of paper.

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2008, 08:49:00 PM »
Rob, im so new at this that your probably right!
i guess that i could just put some wax on it.

i dont even now what kind of sting it is.
  :confused:  
i want to shoot 150 grain heads, so what do you think would be a good size arrow. aluminum or carbon, preferably carbon..

thanks for your help  jamie
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline Dan in Poulsbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »
Well after all of conversation, I also bought one tonight. I had been waiting to buy something like this and for that price, why not now. I cant wait for September.

Thanks for all the discussion-Dan

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2008, 02:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by gaffey-27:
Rob, im so new at this that your probably right!
i guess that i could just put some wax on it.

i dont even now what kind of sting it is.
    :confused:    
i want to shoot 150 grain heads, so what do you think would be a good size arrow. aluminum or carbon, preferably carbon..

thanks for your help  jamie
I prefer AD tapered carbons but I also use cheap Beman ICS Ventures.  

Carbons can be a chore to sort out what'll work best for your bow and your shooting style, and it's always best if ya can seek out other archer's arrows to try out.  

Don't be too locked in to the weight point ya think ya wanna use - be more concerned about the bow's true draw weight at yer exact draw length.  Then look at *suggested* shaft spines that *might* work for ya.  Then set up yer bow to get at least decent bare shaft flight, then think about FOC, arra GPI, feather types and configs, point/broadhead types and weights, and whatever.  

What draw weight didja get and what's yer draw length?

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »
thanks for the reply rob. i bought a 50lb @ 28".
the problem is, i dont know what my draw is. i would guess its 26-27" but i dont really know for sure.
i e-mailed george about this very subject, because he has the same bow, same draw weight, and roughly the same draw length.
he said he is shooting 2016 28"long, with 125 grain tips. and is getting good arrow flight.

im just nervous because i dont know where you work, but i cant afford to spend all kinds of money on arrows, just to not be able to get them to fly right.  :thumbsup:  
dont let me down friends..  :pray:  

jamie
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2008, 03:50:00 PM »
Hmmm, maybe it'd be neat if we started something like a "Trad Gang Test Quiver" that could be passed on to members in need, and that could be added to as time goes on.  There are SO MANY arrow types, lengths and spines, but at least it would be SOMETHING to use as a ballpark and the cost would be postage.  

It'd probably be neat to add 2 arras at a time that are exactly the same, but one fletched and the other bare.  A data sheet should accompany the TGTQ that denotes the spex on each pair of arras -  exact length from nock grove to the back of the point (no broadheads!), spine (if known), the total exact weight of each arra (if known),  and the manufacturer/model number.

Be aware - a HUGE factor to consider is how well you can shoot the bow yer looking to outfit with ammo.  If you have any kinda form issues, if yer a noobie, if that bow ain't really good for ya for any number of reasons, yer gonna probably have consistency issues with any arra.

Offline Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2008, 04:14:00 PM »
I got my 55#er yesterday.  Sure pulls harder than it is marked.  I normally shoot 53/54 @ 27 and thought a 55#er would fit just right - but I am reaching my pull weight before my anchor is reached.  Guess I either need to learn to pull the weight or reduce it some on my own.  I was going to work on the tip overlays anyway so I might as well take it down a few pounds while I am at it.

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2008, 06:00:00 PM »
rob i really like our idea. mabey some others will read this and follow thru. i was just shooting in my basement, and as far as groups go, at 15 yds i can keep most of my arrows inside a 6" circle. but all the arrows are sticking out of the target with the feathers kicked to the right.
i borrowed some 2018 autum hunters from a friend.
i think they have 125 grain field tips.

the bob lee i owned before this one was setup using 1916s. and they flew like darts.

i appreciate all your help rob....

jamie
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©