3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Older Kodiak vs. newer custom  (Read 525 times)

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
Older Kodiak vs. newer custom
« on: January 16, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
Reintroducing myself to traditional.  I'm considering buying an older (64-71) Bear Kodiak Special or Hunter.  The other possibility is something newer like a used Sley or a Checkmate Falcon or Hunter.  I'm right handed and will look for something in the 45# at 27 range.  Smooth shooting is more important than looks.  Unfortunately I don't have the opportunity to shoot all of them so I turn to you all for advice.  What do you think?  Will a newer custom shoot that much better than an older classic?  For comparrison, my current training bow is a Shakespeare Yukon.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Older Kodiak vs. newer custom
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 08:04:00 PM »
A newer custom won't shoot much better; and in many cases not as good. But a new bow can use a modern string and may offer better performance. If you intend to hunt stay away from those year Kodiak Special that you mentioned; they are too big to take into the woods, the Hunters are fine. The early (56-59) Kodiak Specials are good hunting bows. Good luck!

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 08:14:00 PM »
Bear in mind the Kodiak Hunter was a middle of the road bow.. 1967 Fred elevated the Kodiak to the Super Kodiak and came out with a less expensive version, The Hunter.. 1966 and earlier the top of the line was known as just Kodiak..
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »
With a 27" draw you could get a Bear Grizzly or Kodiak Magnum.  Both are fine bows and you can find them all day long on e-bay.  As mentioned the new bows can use the newer string materials.  But the new Bear bows are way over priced IMHO, even though I have a newer Custom TD.
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
I love the 1964,1965,1966 Bear Kodiaks.
The 1964 Kodiak is my favorite.
I wish I could find one with no holes or twists, for a decent price.

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
Bjorn,  I'm not sure I understan the comment about being too big to take into the woods.  The Kodiak Specials and the Hunters I've been looking at are all 60".

VA Bowbender - I think the Kodiak Magnum is too short.  I'm concerned that a bow that short will be too unforgiving.  I also thought the Grizly was the bottom end of the Bear line.

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »
Stinger,
My Dad has a Bear Black Panther. It's a 56" bow he bought at Kmart. It has a twisted top limb from he stringing by hand for years and it stacks. But it shoots where I aim.

I think all those old 60-70 Bears hit where you aim them if it's a tuned bow/arrow combo and with practice.

My advice would be to follow this:
 http://www.acsbows.com/bareshaftplaning.html
and practice.

If the Yukon is a comfortable draw weight and it's a legal hunting draw weight it should be fine.

Offline buckshot95

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 12:50:00 PM »
I just got a kodiak magnum and i love it. I have 27" draw and it is 45# but very short 52" It draws nice.
52#@28"-60" Thunder Stick Moab
45#@28"-64" Fred Bear Montana

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 03:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stinger:
VA Bowbender - I think the Kodiak Magnum is too short.  I'm concerned that a bow that short will be too unforgiving.  I also thought the Grizly was the bottom end of the Bear line.
I have a 30" draw and can shoot mine very well.  That being said, yes the shorter the bow the harder it  can be to shoot.  If you have the current issue of TBM, G. Fred Asbel discusses this.

I wouldn't consider the Grizzly as a bottom of the line bow.  It's a GREAT shooting bow and very popular.  It's 58" size makes it very versitile. ie; treestands, ground blinds, stalking or plain old stump shooting.
By the way I have two of them.

Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline cajuntec

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 03:37:00 PM »
I've owned a mid 70's Bear Grizzly and I would definitely not consider it a "Bottom End" bow.  I've shot the newer Bears, and I actually prefered my old mid-70's version better - but that may just be me (and a few others I know   :D   )

I've also owned a mid 70's Bear Kodiak Hunter and loved that one also.  Very nice bow.

Both of the above mentioned bows were purchased and "outfitted" (new string, shelf material, string silencers) for under $150, including shipping costs.  For the price, I don't think you can beat a older Bear in good condition.

That being said, I also own another bow you mentioned, and it is what I currently love to shoot - a Chek-Mate Hunter.  Mine is not the Hunter 1 or Hunter 2.  In all actuality, it's not even a Hunter 56", but modeled pretty close to it - it's a custom Chek-Mate, and I'm very fortunate to have traded with a great guy from the western part of Virginia for it.  I think we both enjoyed our trades.

All the best,
Glenn
If at first you don't succeed.... buy newer / better equipment!

Greywolf Custom Longbow  
Chek-Mate Custom Hunter 56 Recurve

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »
VA Bowbender,

Nice collection!  I wasn't bad mouthing the Grizzly.  I was under the impression that it was slated below the Hunter in the Bear line, and as Earl points out above, the Hunter was a middle of the line bow.  Hey, the Shakespeare Yukon that I have was the one I got new when I was 15.  I wanted a Bear Grizzly bad then, but that was what was affordable at the time.  My main issue now is getting something that shoots smoothly at a weight heavy enough to hunt with. Even at 40#, the Yukon will work - I took my first deer with it, but I want something a little heavier.  I see you live just down the freeway from me; I hope all this snow isn't inconveniencing you too much.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 08:28:00 PM »
The Grizzly was more Plain Jane, as in no riser overlays, etc., but was a great shooter.  The Kodiak Hunter was nearly the same design as the Kodiak Magnum except it was longer by about 8 inches.  They will shoot as good or better in some cases as new ones, as mentioned above.

That being said, that Chekmate Falcon is a heck of a bow and pretty to boot.  Hard to beat the deals on them.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 08:46:00 PM »
The Bear Grizzly and Kodiak are both very fine bows.   If you can find a "65-67 Griz, I feel these are the best.  Good looking, very good grip, feel and performance.  

Other good options include the Wing, Damon Howatt and Hoyt bows.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©