3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Rack Suggestions  (Read 5271 times)

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow Rack Suggestions
« on: December 28, 2006, 09:21:00 PM »
Ok finally getting around to setting up my fins and feathers room.  We have an extra bedroom that I had claimed for fly tying and archery stuff but  my wife managed (planned?) to clog it up with other things that required assembly, so I spent the better part of the last few days (when not working) assembling honey dos to clear my new hobby room (That lady is way smarter than me    :knothead:    ). Currently my bows hang on bike hanger type rubber coated metal screw in brackets in the various exposed framing studs of our basement storage area.  I want to find a better/more aesthetic way to store my bows (3 recurves and about 6 longbows).  I was thinking that some nice coat hooks of wood would work or even setting dowels into a nice piece of finished hardwood and mounting that to the wall, but I would love some ideas from you guys/gals.    :help:    
Thanks,
Andrew

Offline Starkman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Rack Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 10:18:00 PM »
Ever thought of building an Ascham (tall narrow cabinet for storing bows)?  The Witchery of Archery briefly mentions them.  You could build one using glass doors similar to gun cabinets to show off your bows.
Bob
"You're never beaten until you admit it." - General George S. Patton, Jr

Offline Flathead Willie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 10:32:00 PM »
my bows hang on a couple old gun racks that I got for free when a business was cleaning out a back room. I refinished two of the four I acquired to hang bows on and rigged the other two for my wife to hang the scarves and afgans she makes. The locking compartments in the base of these racks makes a great place to store small items like replacement bleeder blades, gloves, spare strings, tabs, etc.
Some people climb to the top of the ladder only to find that it is leaning on the wrong wall!

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 11:21:00 PM »
Thanks guys good advice so far, but a gun rack might be kinda expensive.  I will google Ascham and see what I can find.

edited: don't google Ascham unless you want to read about Roger Ascham(Important in english archery), shows what I know  :biglaugh:  ... LOL
Andrew

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 11:49:00 PM »
if you have the space you could do up one like JC's. his is the best looking one i've seen so far.  
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 12:02:00 AM »
JC does have a beautiful set up doesn’t he!  That gives me an idea.  I may just have to walk the river and look for driftwood that can make a platform to mount to the wall.  I will also look for trees that have just the right sets of limbs to make hangers.  I like the o'natural look JC has.
Mahalo
Kawika
Andrew

Offline mobiltoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 07:35:00 AM »
I used wooden dowel hangers from lowes.  I still need to clean up my area but here you go.  Bill

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 11:26:00 AM »
Most here have already seen this one but I'm kina partail to it. Have the plans if you want them. Might not be big enough for that many bows but you could modify it. Mike

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 04:17:00 PM »
Thanks for the ideas.  I plan to head to the lumber yard and see what they have in the way of hardwoods.  I like the board mounted with dowels idea.  Bodork, your rack is really nice but I am construction impaired.   :knothead:  I'll update ya when I get one up and running.
Andrew

Offline 42WLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 06:53:00 PM »
Check at your local craft store like Michaels or Hobby Lobby for Shaker Peg racks. I got a 6 peg board for $6.00. Stained and Polyed it looks great. Should be some sales now too.
Dave Thomas
VP, Rockfish Bowhunters Club

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 11:23:00 PM »
My recurve rack. Sorry the photo is so poor. I do have a longbow rack as well.

"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Matthew D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 11:44:00 PM »
Bodork, I just sent you a PM I would love to see the plans for that one.. you did a great job with it..
Actually all of these racks have given me ideas..

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 05:46:00 AM »
I bought two like John's up there, unfinished, off eBay. One has seven places, one has five. Finishing them yourself gives you an opportunity to match wood colors to your decor, and practice your arrow and bow finishing skills.  :p   They rapidly became overfull, so when someone threw out a wooden gun rack at my neighborhood dumpster, that went on the wall too.

Problem? Who has a problem?  :knothead:  
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2006, 08:48:00 AM »
Decor???!!   :bigsmyl:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline dosbow56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2006, 09:38:00 AM »
Check in the Sunday ads, Michaels usually has a 40percent off coupon for any one item, I've used a bunch of em.........LOL Great looking racks, getting some ideas for re-doing my sons room.
Thanks,
Dave
"We watch our arrows fly. We watch our friends' arrows fly. We can't wait 'til the next one flies. It's as though we were watching through a child's eyes the same marvelous magic trick over and over."
Dean Torges "Hunting the Osage Bow"

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2006, 10:07:00 AM »
I use the cheap wood tool racks for the garage...buy two and use them vertically, rather than horizontal...take out every other peg and replace the one you do keep in with a 6" or so peg...you can get three bows on each peg and it will hold 25+...neat and very cheap.

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2006, 03:10:00 AM »
Well, I broke down and decided to buy some Koa a Hawaiian wood.  It is beautiful raw and I think with some sanding and oil it will really shine.  I will add dowels and take pics when I am done.
Andrew

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2006, 07:51:00 AM »
Good choice of wood, it is not only beautiful but very special to the native Hawaiians. It will put good mojo into both your bows and your home.  :thumbsup:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2006, 08:33:00 AM »
Dano, some people have decor. Some decor is blatant and formally recognized, Early American, Scandinavian, Eastern, and the like. I have clutter. Clutter is by definition more complex than the formal styles one peruses in the furniture catalogs, containing myriad elements and minutiae that must be sifted through before that ineffable je ne sais quoi tickles the back of your brain and whispers "HOME". The clutter here consists largely of tattered furniture hidden beneath papers and magazines, old mail and books. It is punctuated by bow racks, whitetail racks, three year old calendars, and sprinkled liberally with scraps of leather, sandpaper and fur. Somewhere under all this is a thirty year old rug.

Decor is very important to female humans, I am told, and I mentioned it in order to give our poor hero here a hint in case he needed a tactic for wedging a bow rack into the house, should there be a lioness at the gate. Now, should such lioness perchance READ this description of my home's decor, one might think that she would be frightened into originating a petition calling for a countywide ban on bowracks. I hasten to explain to my hypothetically horrified housefrau that the clutter came first. The bowracks are the only sources of order extant within these walls. Bowracks are evidence of a civilizing influence in the home.

Killdeer   :wavey:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Flathead Willie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2006, 03:18:00 PM »
The rack like JDS3's is what I was talking about. I have six of them and didn't pay more then $5 for any of them. I see them at yard sales all the time as well as used merchandise shops. I just got 4 of them from a place that holds bingo games. They were throwing them away.
Some people climb to the top of the ladder only to find that it is leaning on the wrong wall!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©