3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Crafting a backquiver (Rob DiStefano)  (Read 1189 times)

Offline BrianC

• Trad Bowhunter
Crafting a backquiver (Rob DiStefano)
« on: February 02, 2007, 04:35:00 PM »
I came across this in the How To-Resources forum and decided to give it a try.  I'm just about finished, but have a few questions.  IF and that's a big IF, I decide to use it for carrying hunting arrows w/ broadheads, what should I put in the bottom of the quiver to keep the broadheads from moving around and getting dull by hitting eachother.  The leather I used is fairly stiff, I think the sales guy called it "belly leather"?  I need to put a divider in it to "close" the mouth of the quiver a bit.  I think I'm going to line the inside of the mouth of the quiver with some type of animal hair to quiet down the arrows from moving around.  Any thoughts on what animal hair to use?  I'll post a pic here when it's done.

Thanks,

Brian
"Leave it better than you found it"

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Crafting a backquiver (Rob DiStefano)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »
I saw a fellow once who stuffed dried moss into his quiver at the top, to separate his arrows and keep them from making noise.

It's no big deal to then pull the backquiver off, and stuff some more in if you have to put your 'bullets' back in...cheap, easy, elegant solution for a tricky problem.

I've always thought doing all that and making custom leather 'booties' for your broadheads that fell off as you draw the arrow from the quiver was a pretty cool 'old style' thing to do.

It's not the most efficient thing, but its definitely a tip o' the hat to our forefathers!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »
Brian:
Here is what I do. Make a thick sole leather insert the same size of your quiver bottom. In what would be the bottom corner of that piece, glue a piece of ethafoam about 1 1/2" thick but only about 2"into the bottom. I hope this makes sense! cut slits in the foam to place the sharpe broadheads. you only need room for 2 or 3. Blunts and such go above the broadheads and don't interfer. then across the top of the quiver a leather thong will keep broadheads and blunts seperate. I also inclued with the blunts extra sharp broadheads with Protect-a-edge on them, which keeps them sharp until needed.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Raminshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
Brian,

Just do what the ole timers did to quiet down the back quiver (many others have offered this one up).  All you do is when you are huntin is to pull up handfulls of dry grass and stuff it in your quiver.  Your arrows pull out when you need them just fine and the dry grass just keeps them from rattling around.  Cheap and easy...the way it should be.
Keep flinging those shafts!

Offline Shell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 09:44:00 PM »
Can't top the grass solution.....great advice and it IS the best price in town, all natural, I would imagine it helps cover scent too!  :thumbsup:

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 11:14:00 PM »
I use a thick piece of shag carpet in the bottom of my quiver, and under it I put a folded bread sack for protecting my fletching if it rains.  The carpet keeps the arrow heads in place and won't pull out when you withdraw an arrow.  I don't have to put any kind of divider to keep the mouth of the quiver narrow,  I form the leather while brand new and it stays that way.  You can wet the leather before waterproofing and form it to the shape you want it.  I prefer a narrow top, and the partial collapsing of the quiver after it's broke in, keeps the arrows from rattling around

Offline sar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 08:56:00 AM »
I used quaker oats.  I was told Howard Hill did that.  Seems to work just fine.

Offline Tilbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 09:48:00 AM »
The leather will soften up somewhat. You can roll it up like a sleeping bag once in awhile to help that along. I made the same quiver, carried it into the woods last fall. Really liked it. When going through thick brush, slide the quiver around your back until it ends up tucked under one arm. Gets through cover easily. I made broadhead slip covers from scrap leather. Sewed them together with b-50. They slip off while drawing out an arrow.
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 11:18:00 AM »
I ues a piece of 2" thick sponge cut to the shape of the bottom of my quivers. Cut it just a smidgen large and slide it to the bottom of the quiver. Holds broadheads in place and doesn't seem to dull them at all. I get the sponge at auto parts stores in the car washing section.    I learned that trick from the late Bob Gosdeck when I bought an old King center back quiver from him.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 11:21:00 AM »
OOPS
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©